1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Barkley ever punch a referee?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NL Rocket, Oct 11, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Hey guys, before I ask this question just know I'm from Holland in Europe.

I was talking to this guy and we were discussing basketball and he said his favourite player used to be Charles Barkley. Then he mentioned a story I had never heard of before and cannot find on the internet, but it could still be true. He claimed he saw a game where Barkley was talking to his coach and then punched the referee. The coach basically told him if you punch him, I will pay the fine.

This is all I know, although I did ask him if he remembered what team he was on: Sixers, Suns or the Rockets? He said he thinks he was on the Rockets :)

Anybody have a story that even comes remotely close to this?

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

glass window story

3. VanityHalfBlack

I punched him!

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I know he kissed one...

5. bmd

bmd Member

No. He would have been in huge trouble for punching a referee... not just a fine.

6. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I don't think any NBA player has ever punched an NBA ref during a game. I do remember this incident overseas though, the ref ended up losing his vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOsh9bCj_k

There's been worse soccer fan/coach VS ref violence though.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/soccer-referee-punched-teen-player-dies/story?id=19112917

Being a ref is really a thankless job at the volunteer levels and of course the lower end high school levels. People criticize you when you make the wrong calls, and someone will hate you even if you make the right ones.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Yeah that's what I figured, it would've been big news..

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

Yup..it was a game on the radio that no one watched...smart guy this Barkely:)

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

10. ribbit

ribbit Member

Paul Pierce comes to mind.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Barkley is more than my favorite player of all time; he is my hero. I became a Rockets Season Ticketholder because of him, the very day they signed him. They let me kiss the trophy because I was first there.

I can say .... Barkley never punched a ref.

Any other Barkley trivia you want answered, even back to Auburn days, pass it on to me. US Fans tend to skew the facts with him for some reason.

This never happened.

OP, this is what happens. People hate Barkely and make up **** then innocent guys like Invinsible Fan "vaguely remember" it as truth and still post it without proof

#11 heypartner, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  12. Invisible Fan

He jumped over a table to chase a ref, later got fined for it.

It was part of a badboy image the media tried to play on him during his Suns days.

Still trying to think of the player who pushed the ref over a table now...

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, you are not certain he never pushed a ref over a table...right?

Barkley punched Bill Lambier just like Larry Bird did.

The media portrayed him as a bad boy as a sixers for the spitting incident, much before the Suns.

The reason he is my hero is because as a Sixers the media was crazy about saying black athletes like him need to be role models, and they used the spitting incident as an example.

Barkley was rhetorically asked, "You're a role model, right?" and he said, at age 24? ... "I'm not a role model, parents and teachers are."

And that even lit up the media more by him saying athletes are not role models. But he was right. That took huge guts for a 24yr old to take on the media like that.

Dude never punched a ref.,,,and never jumped over a table to chase a ref.

Give us a link or stop the slander.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

he did kiss a ref, however.

as well as an Ass.

15. Invisible Fan

There's a video burned in memory of some player pushing a ref over a table...anyways not the point.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/19/s...ley-explodes-but-it-s-knicks-who-sparkle.html

BTW, I don't think it was a reputation Charles tried to avoid. It's not like he never showed a history of fighting on or off the court.

These days, fans like that in their players. A bad rep would be like drugs or beating women.

16. Lefty

Lefty Member

I wouldn't call it guts.
    To me it was more Barkely being Barkley and talking about of his ass.

And as far as the media giving him the bad boy image... Didn't he put a guy through a window at a bar?

He may not have came out and said he was a bad boy but, he liked swagger/attention the media gave him.

Hands down one of my favorite players.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Rodman headbutted a referee. Though it really wasn't much of a headbutt.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

A converted BOF and I never knew it! :p

19. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

garage door story

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Barkley basically stated what other players wanted to say... The reporters would ask a dumb question and Barkley would basically give him his answer and not the MS. AMERICA answer...

Barkley threw the guy out of the window later in his career, when he was with Houston and the man was being an @$$...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1997-10-27/sports/9710270306_1_jorge-lugo-lugo-s-attorney-barkley-s-group

I'm there with HP on Barkley... He wasn't a bad boy, he just didn't take crap from anyone.....

T_Man