1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets team was your favorite? (sans championship years)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Sep 12, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I've been a diehard Rockets fan only since the late 90's (I'm 23), so I'd be interested to see the variance of CF's opinions (maybe there are some favorite squads from the 70s/80s/90s)

Although Goran was my favorite Rocket, my favorite squad was the 08-09 team.

That squad had some hood figgas in Artest, Von Wafer, Skip to my Lou, James White (briefly)

That squad had some all-heart players in Landry, Scola, Hayes, Battier, Lowry

That squad had some legends in Deke, TMac, Yao.

What's your favorite Rox team?

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

86 Rockets - loaded in more ways than one....

There are a number of teams we rolled out there that were much better than the one that eventually broke through.

1 person likes this.
  3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Outside of the championship years, mine was 07-08. That would've been a championship season had we have not lost the big fella. Runner up to the 96-97 team. I'm too young to remember anything from the 80's.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This.

Fantastic memories of the Twin Towers. Holy crap...if only Ralph could've stayed healthy. Most of the younger fans will never know what kind of gifted athlete we had with him.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The 2009-10 season was the very first season I thoroughly watched, merely caught but a few games of the 08-09 season, and before that only personally been to one or two real games (and the allstar game in 06).

The 2009-10 season was amazing to watch, I fell in love with everybody and remember that season like it was yesterday. Brooks, Ariza, Scola, Landry(Martin), Battier, Mcgrady, Lowry, Hayes, Budinger, Andersen, Taylor, Hill, Jefferies, Pops, Harris, Dorsey, Temple, Armstrong, Conroy, Cook... Every single player I believe. Brooks was such a bad ass that season, we were so scrappy, we overachieved, coach Adleman was great, I loved every moment of that season.

6. Know Your Role

85-86 was one of the strongest teams we ever had. They lost to one of the greatest teams of all time at their peak. Taking the Celtics to 6 games should be commended.

Beating the Lakers was not a fluke. Rockets were strong at every position, had a good coach, and had a pretty good bench. I almost want to say it was the most complete team we ever had. It was a better team than our first finals team. It'd be interesting to do a study between the 85 team and the 93 to 95 teams. I'm willing to bet the 85 team could of given the championship teams a good run for their money. All hypothetical and my own opinion of course.

My only other squad I think could of done it was 09. Would of beat the lakers and nuggets, and swept the Magic again had the multitude of injuries not happened.

Although I loved the Barkley, Hakeem, Drexler teams, they just didn't have enough support to pull off a finals run against the Bulls.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Loved the 04-05 team

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

06-07 team. 08-09 team.

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

It's a shame the 86 Rockets didn't stay together. Probably would have been one of those dynasty teams..

I haven't really fallen in love with a Rockets team in a while since Yao retired though. Players, yeah, but as a team nah. I did enjoy the 12-13 season though.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There were better ones, but I have serious love for the 08-09 team.

11. TheresTheDagger

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

10/11 team which had not much talent and yet finsihed a respectable 43-39 in the tough West

Lowry
    Martin
    Battier
    Scola
    Hayes

Played the majority of the minutes. Zero all stars in there. All role players. Truly an incredible achievement.

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I'm about the same age as OP and agree with everything he said.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Arguably true, but having Rudy as the coach... there was something special about that.

15. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember that team and loved Ralph, but my favorite team is the original Clutch City

Kenny, Vernon,OT, Horry,Sam, Dream, Mario, Herrera

It's like family

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nailed it in one, for me. Luke, Wiggins, Lloyd? How about Bobby Joe and Rodney Mc? Talk about heart, soul. And a pretty fair young guy in the middle.

18. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Probably 2008-09. That's a beautiful thing.

[​IMG]

But 2000-01 was fun for me. Stevie Franchise and Cuttino at their best. Hakeem still playing at an alright clip. And of course....

[​IMG]

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Fitch you! But, always will love Rudy. Always!!!

20. Dr Dunkenstein

That '86 team has to be my favorite.

Phil b**** coaching and Dream was young and just ridiculously athletic.

Ralph hit the crazy elbow shot against the Lakers. Sweet Lew Lloyd was the best player on the court during that Lakers series.

Larry Bird was simply too good for our young stallions in the finals - well that and Sweet Lew had obviously partied a little too much after the big Lakers series win. He was not good in the finals and looked either high or way hung over.

Still, I love that team.