1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets defense was better with Motiejunas as backup C than Asik...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Aug 7, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Or at least it was virtually the same...

Houston's opponents shot 44.3% FG% this past year.

Houston's opponents shot 44.5% FG% during the 2 months that Asik was hurt and Motiejunas was playing back-up center.

Houston's defensive rating this past year was 103.1 - 12th best in the NBA.

Houston's defensive rating while Asik was hurt: 102.7 - 10th best in the NBA.

So really, losing Asik may not be a big deal at all. Even if he was replaced by Motiejunas, the Rockets seemed to do fine. And the stats back that up.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Asik is 100000x the rebounder DMO is.

That being said, I think highly of Motiejunas and think that he warrants 25 min a game to see if he can be consistent. He does seem to be getting smarter on the defensive end and obviously he has some physical tools (quickness and height) to work with.

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

GOD I hate stats....

They never tell the entire truth.

T_Man

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

soon players will be playing the stats instead of the game.

5. rocketseagles07

This. You guys are getting crazy in here trying to convince yourself more and more every week that we're perfectly fine. I don't care what the stats are, asik is a much better option at backup center than d-mo and it's not even close

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Luckily only 4.6% of people feel that way.

1 person likes this.
  7. bmd

bmd Member

The stats don't lie.

When Motiejunas was the back-up center, the team didn't miss a beat. The opponent's FG% was virtually the same and the PPG given up was virtually the same.

Rockets' record during that span was 20-11. .645 winning percentage. Virtually the same as the overall winning percentage.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm one of the more optimistic posters here, but even I can't get on board with this. Healthy/willing to play Asik will be sorely missed.

9. rocketseagles07

exactly. If you're going to use those stats say the rockets will be okay without him. But there are stats and then there's the eye test. For example, I can put Isiah Thomas and Kyrie Irvings stats from last year and they look damn near identical. Guess what, they aren't.....

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This doesn't fit the narrative so we have to reject it.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The conclusion to reach here is not that Asik won't be missed or that Dmo's defense is just as good as Asik's..it's that, for one reason or another, Asik did not have as big of an impact in the Rockets' season as people think. Was he a great option to have? Definitely. Is he a great rebounder and defender? Definitely. However, he wasn't on the court as much as people think. He was out half the season and then played back up minutes, so his contribution wasn't a steady dose of 15 rebound games and 40 mins of good D. It was 8 rebs in 20 minutes, Good D in the spurts he was in there.

That's why the Rockets didn't really miss a beat when he was out. They may not have guys who can cover his 40 min production in 40 mins, but they don't have to. They only need to cover his 20 min production in 20 mins. Heck, you could even have one cover 10 mins and another the other 10, going 100% full effort. If Dwight goes down for an extended period of time we'll be in for hard times, but if he's healthy for the most part again, we won't miss Asik that much.

And this is basically what Morey pointed out earlier this off season.

2 people like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wait, where did you get this from? Here it says our defensive rating was 106.3, ranked 13th.

13. bmd

bmd Member

He only played like 13 minutes per game.

It's not as big of a deal as people think.

14. rocketseagles07

Saying we're going to be fine without him is one thing. In addition, I think most rockets fans know Asik didn't play that much last year. All I'm saying is don't say d-mo is as good of a defenders as asik is because thats not true

15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

If they're the same, trade him for a lottery pick.....

Oh you cant?

16. bmd

bmd Member

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The only conclusion we can make out of this is:

We were lucky last season Dwight Howard was very healthy. Now let's pray that the same will be true this coming season.

18. bmd

bmd Member

Where did I say D-Mo is as good of a defender as Asik?

Reading comprehension, people, geez...

19. bmd

bmd Member

The way I look at it is... the Rockets are not winning a championship without one of their star players, anyway.

So even if they won't lose as many games with a quality back-up... so what?

They wouldn't win the title, so it's pointless. If a team loses it's star player, they are done anyway.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's easy to forget, given his importance against Portland. That's the last thing fans remember.