1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cosart/Hernadez/Wates Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Jul 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the return for Cosart/Hernandez/Wates?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2014.
  1. Yes

73.8%
  2. No

26.2%
  1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Do you like the trade?

Out:

Cosart
    Kike Hernandez
    Austin Wates

In:
    Colin Moran
    Jake Marsinick
    Francis Martes
    Compensation Pick

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm not familiar enough by the incoming prospects but am not blown away by their production and was really a fan of Hernandez from what I've seen. Moreover, I've always felt Cosart would be that late blooming pitcher that continued to improve throughout his career and was already a legit #3.

My gut feel is not good here. Someone tell me why I'm wrong. Please.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Trade gives the Astros a nice OF trio once Fowler and Springer are up to speed. Moran's been good but not great. However, the Florida State League is a pitcher's league. Maybe we'll see an uptick in his numbers in the Texas League.

I imagine a scout liked what he saw from Martes.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I do. Cosart is easily replaceable and we got two of the Marlins top three prospects headed into this year. There are only two untouchables on the major league team as far as I'm concerned.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Is it possible that Cosart was one of the players complaining to the Chronicle?

I am happy with the trade, although I also thought we made out on the Lyles trade. We will see.

7. studogg

Cosart's always been a whiny d-bag. He was one of the first twitter dip****s.

Still think he's got good stuff though

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Francis Martes, who the Astros got from the Marlins in the Cosart deal, made my DSL/VSL Top 20 last year. Nifty move: <a href="http://t.co/ZiO58YW8K8">http://t.co/ZiO58YW8K8</a></p>&mdash; Ben Badler (@BenBadler) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenBadler/statuses/494976146828566532">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's been the speculation. Even though I was told how I should root for players in another thread and that the Astros should have thicker skin if that's why they traded him, it's not like that's the first time he's had issues spouting off at the mouth. Guys who continue to do that are probably a little easier to trade than those who don't. I can't imagine the brass had any sort of sympathy to whatever idiots criticized what happened last week with regards to Appel.

10. studogg

who's your second?

Springer and.....

Altuve?
    Dallas?
    Singleton? (doubt it, just wondering)

11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Love it. It's odd to me because this is the return you'd expect for an established ML veteran pitcher. To get this haul for a guy with a ton of question marks (can't fix stupid) is a good job by Luhnow.

3 first round picks next year; 2 probably in the top 5. Let's hope we sign them all this time.

12. Mattj

Mattj Member

I like the trade with the caveat that the Astros better trade some of these prospects for a legit stud bat this offseason. They can't keep putting a AAA lineup out there and expect to get better. I'm also happy for Cosart because I know he felt unwanted by this front office.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Personally, I think it is a good return.

Cosart & Kike have been productive, but they got a lot in return.

If Moran can just start showing some more power, he'll be a big upgrade from Matty D, and he'll undoubtedly be more consistent.

Marisnick has big time potential.

We have a very good chance at 4 picks in the top 40 of the 2015 draft now.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Right now Singleton. I was ready to be upset about them trading Dallas, but would be open to him and Altuve depending on who they received. Altuve would be a very close third though. The franchise does need a face and he's it right now.

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Luhnow on Cosart: “There was no need to trade him today. So we could sit back and kind of hold firm on our asking price and... we did.&quot;</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/494977549085470722">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

By next year we need to start signing some guys, trading some prospects for stars, etc. Get the ball rolling while our guys start coming up. It's almost that time.

17. Buck Turgidson

They got a good return. We'll see how it plays out.

As I've been saying, this is a huge offseason for the FO. They *have* to get more MLB talent.

18. bball1217

bball1217 Member

I like the potential of this trade. Like all trades - especially with baseball - only time will tell.

Different people and front offices have different assessments of players and their potential. IMO, Cosart's ceiling is a good 3/4 guy in the rotation, Keke is a very serviceable backup utility man, Wates is a utility 4th OF; and IMO, Moran has a borderline all-star potential, Marisnick can be a solid 5-tool everyday starting OF, comp pick next year is great value, and low risk on the young guy Martes. - These are all ceilings based off of rankings and assessments online I read.

Astros and Marlins have their own assessments on these players, and did what they saw as fair. So, as before, we wait and we seem to still be on track to be competitive by late 2016/2017 anyways. Just have to trust our FO as talented prospects make their way up to the majors these next few years. Astros 2017!

19. Fantasma Negro

I don't understand why ppl are saying Cosart is easily replaceable, he wasn't a once in a generation pitcher but he was a solid #2. They traded him now for the same reason they traded Pence when they did, because he was gonna become too expensive. Stop lying to yourselves we lost a very good player that we have been watching to develop into what could eventually be a top 15 pitcher for prospects

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Agree with this. They definitely need an upgrade at SS and C if possible.