1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Sixers want NBA to delay implementing lottery reform because they are tanking

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 30, 2014.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hinkie's moves in Philly may be logical in the long term but I despise what he is doing.

Just because of him, I hope lottery reform happens in time for next year's draft.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You shouldn't change rules midstream. You have to provide time to people affected by rule changes to make different plans. That is why most laws have a period of time before they come into affect.

They should make this rule change, but it shouldn't go into affect for another year.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wasn't aware there was going to be a lottery reform. I'm all for it. Even better if all non-playoff teams have the same chance at landing the top pick. Maybe even add first round knockouts in the mix somewhere, just to dilute the pool even more.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No, that's BS. Laws are put in place to stop people from cheating the system. What philly is doing is low and they should be stopped.

5. rockbox

How is it cheating? They aren't players out or telling players to miss shots. They are just rebuilding in the most efficient way possible.

What the rockets did to Dream and what the Spurs did to get Duncan is closer to cheating.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

You wouldn't say that if we are tanking would you?

7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Tanking and trying to get a higher lottery pick does not insure that you're getting a franchise player. There are plenty of hit or miss players. I could care less either way, I wish it were the regular season already..

8. Major

Major Member

This is never the case in the NBA. The CBA, for example, completely changes how teams can build each year and goes into effect with no notice every time it's renegotiated. Same with rules changes that add or take away things like illegal defenses, handchecks, etc which all affect teams differently depending on their schemes.

No team was ever meant to try to lose, despite the fact that it works in the current system. I don't think there's any problem with changing a rule that affects a team that is doing something that is not the norm of what is expected of NBA teams.

1 person likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hinkie factored in the risk of lotto reform (or at least should have) when he made his moves, just like the Rockets factored in the risk of not getting Bosh this offseason when they went all in.

They both took calculated risks and lost. Not a big deal.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hinkie is on that 10 year tanking plan

What a joke!

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Did Sixers win a championship?

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't have any problem with the way it currently is. In fact, it is the most "fair" of any draft process. The team that tanks their ass off and has the worst record almost never gets the first pick

13. rockbox

Don't get me wrong. I don't feel that strongly about this, but I generally believe there should be sufficient warning of rule changes unless someone is exploiting the rule and not acting in good faith.

14. rockbox

No, but he got the best player in the last draft if he can stay healthy.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Didn't read the article but Hinkie can't be mad if they do change the lottery system because he's parlayed it into Noel and Embiid, both were touted as #1 prospects in their respective drafts until injuries dropped them. That being said, Hinkie and the Sixers rolled the dice on both players and will have to live with the consequences...either they return to health and dominate or flame out like Oden.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, the Sixers have access to the NBA bylaw and rules, which contains provisions warning/informing every team as to the how soon various changes can be implemented. As Sam Fisher said, if sudden rule changes are allowed in the NBA's rules, then the Sixers should have accounted for this risk when they embarked on their strategy.

It's like that one year when NBA decided to put a point of emphasis on not calling certain types of fouls resulting from flopping-- which came after a good amount of complaints and negative press on the subject matter. Kevin Martin's FT rate dropped substantially because some of his tricks stopped resulting in FTs. The NBA didn't delay the implementation of that rule to be "fair" to Kevin Martin.

If you are the one exploiting the rules in a way that's totally legal, but also totally annoying to the rest of the league and making the NBA product less appealing overall, you should be prepared for the NBA to react, and react quickly.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They should hold off on implementing a change to the lottery system until all future draft picks involved in trades have been made. That's the fairest way to do it.

1 person likes this.
  18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They did, with the help of the Houston Rockets, who traded them Moses Malone to tank for Hakeem Olajuwon.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Cavs Plan?

Hope to get three Overall #1s in 4 years?

Rocket River