1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Harden will be average defender next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Harden will be a ...

1. Above average defender

37 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Average defender

128 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. Below Average

94 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. Same Defense as last year

95 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

You would think Harden would TRY and at least be a average defender next year after being crowned as one of the worst defenders in the league. I think Harden has the tools to be a above average defender, it's all about effort and stamina with him.

2. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

he will be fine. probably win DPOY

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Do you think True Rocket will be average poster next year?

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

He'll be a lockdown defender.

5. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

If he ever wants to win a championship it's something he must and will improve on. I can't fathom the idea of an NBA star who can be a top 3-5 player not improving on an area where every basketball fan knows he lacks.

If he truly wants to write his own history and become a SUPERSTAR (not Star) he will improve on it. That is the only way the Rockets have a shot at becoming a DYNASTY

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Voted below average, which would be an improvement. I'd gladly welcome being proven wrong and he becomes an average (or better) defender.

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Will your butt hurtness improve to average next season?

8. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Its hard to know what is in his heart. He has the skills to be a really good defender, so the question is, which Harden will show up?

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I really think he'll become at least acceptable on defense because of how much hate he's gotten through the fans and media. If he doesn't, then there is no hope for him on the defensive end. We shall see.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Waiting on after/if we hire a defensive assistant to come to a conclusion on whether he'll be the same as last season or below average. Below average would be a huge improvement.

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I think he would be the same (hope I am wrong).

Given the fact that both Parsons and Lin are gone, the argument (or excuse) that he had to save energy in order to take the heavy load of scoring facilitating last year, becomes even stronger this year.

With Ariza's signing, we have DH12, Ariza, and PB to put in defensive effort as starters, one could argue that we have a better defensive starting line up than last year.

So, I don't see any incentive or energy left for Harden to try more in defense, being the main scoring and play-making guy.

Besides, we still have McHale as head coach, without a defensive assistant.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Where is the option for elite defender?

He was elite in the post and I believe he can replicate there to all areas of the court.

1 person likes this.
  13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

A lot is going to depend on who the rockets hire as their defensive coach!!!!

14. apugh832

apugh832 Member

Harden will be better defensively, he wants to win. He understands defense is a key piece to being a champion.

As a team the Rockets are definitely better defensively. The additions of Ariza & Gee are bitt time additions. 2 top 10 wing defenders in the NBA, YEA I'll take it.

15. langal

langal Contributing Member

Not sure about that. He's probably deceptively strong for his size and there would be less ball-watching in the post. Those skills don't necessarily translate to the perimiter.

I voted below average but I do think he'll improve. Less minutes would probably help. With Ariza and Bev, maybe we just put Harden on the weakest opposing wing player and that could be good enough. His post defense helps in cases where we could even put him on a power forward in spurts. If he's still bad defensively but can legitimately defend 3 or 4 positions, then we should good.

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Gee?.

17. SeabrookMiglla

this past season he played below average defensively. he has the ability to play good defense but he doesnt. if he is going off touting he is the cornerstone of this franchise then he better get with the program and play more defense. personally, i am still skeptical of harden. he has yet to fulfill the hype surrounding him as a bona fide star in this league.

18. apugh832

apugh832 Member

Yea. Pretty good defender to say the least. ELITE defender.

19. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Below average....he just doesn't have a knack for it on that side of the floor.

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If he can improve his focus on his man away from the ball, he would be an average defender.

He's pretty average in man defense, but is horrid on off ball defense