1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Pat Beverly our PG of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JD88, Jul 25, 2014.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

I ask, because, why not?

In his very first season as a starter, his numbers look like this....

10.2 ppg
    3.5 rpg
    2.7 apg
    1.4 spg
    41% FG
    36% 3pt
    2nd Team NBA All-Defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GBAL1qLeaA <---Bev's highlights. If you want a thrill, skip ahead to about 3:40.

Beverly brings that fire on the defensive side of the ball that we need, and at the same time, knocks down the long ball at a reliable clip. A 3andD player, just at the PG position. He has only been a starter for 55 games.

He has one year remaining on his contract, then a qualifying offer, before it's time to make a decision.

Why not extend him 3 more years? The dude can ball, and there is nobody on the team that works harder than him, both on and off the court. Why are people adamant that we need to bring in an 8 figure salaried point guard, when we could realistically lock up Beverly for years and keep our cap flexibility open to bolster the bench or make a move for a power forward.

What more would we want in a point guard? Any point guard we have won't be handling the ball a whole hell of a lot, and will need to be able to play off the ball, spot up, and bury threes when given the opportunity. Beverly does all of this, and at a discount.

2. JD88

JD88 Member

Beverley*

Started it off right.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If you lock up anyone at the 1 or 4, then you make it harder to get that third key player because it'll limit options. What if we can't get a better PF and only point guards are available?

4. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

His assist too low for a starting pg. Period.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

His usage rate for last season was 68th out of 71 eligible point guards. That may be the reason.

6. JD88

JD88 Member

His assist ratio was 20.3, right next to Westbrook (22.5), Kyrie Irving (21.6) and Eric Bledsoe (22.6).

He's not our primary ball handler.

7. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I hope he does remain with us, but I am worried a lot of teams will be trying to sign him. D12 and Bev are currently my favorite players. I would hate to see either of them go.

8. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

yeah...none of our PGs are efficient in passing the rock to Dwight...hope Ishmael can provide that..I love Bev but hope we could find a legit orchestrator

9. BinBinRingRing

Good fit alongside Harden. But role player aka asset after all.

10. JD88

JD88 Member

I think as long as Harden is on the team, the ball will run through him.

I just wonder what price we could sign Bev at? His stats aren't glaring, but again, it was only his first season as a starter.

I wonder if he can be had at $4-5 million for 3 more years? At that price, he would be an absolute steal. I believe if we offer him the qualifying offer after this season, we would have his bird rights, and could conceivably go after player X (Durant!) and then go over the cap to re-sign Bev? Or is that just a dream?

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

He is until he gets offered ridiculous money from someone else

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would think Mario Chalmers contract would be about where Beverly would start. Beverly is better than Mario IMO but they are similar and Mario is making between. 4 & 5 mil a season.

13. JD88

JD88 Member

I think to get a (would be) fourth year starter, at that price, for what Bev does well (defense, 3pt shot which will improve) for $4.5m during the prime of his career, would be a great bargain. Especially if we can go over to the cap to sign him once we fill out our starting PF and/or (potentially) starting SF.

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why r there always so-so threads?
    Is Passens our SF of the future? Yes,of course, but he has gone!
    Is TJ our PF of the future?
    Would u trade Harden for Kevin Love?
    Would u trade DH12 for Lebron?
    I have seen too many so-so threads. The world is changing everyday, who can be sure the future?
    Don't waste time on so-so topics

15. NotChandlerParsons

He was 24 in his first season. Love Pat Bev, one of my favorite players, but our PG of the future is anyone who can fill the 3&D role.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

As long as Douchemeister is around, who knows?

1 person likes this.
  17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Just like people who post threads like
    "It's time to fire morey"
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=213271

#17 Voice of Aus, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  18. Asian Sensation

No. His skill-set or lack thereof suggests he should be a backup. He started last year cause Lin sucked and he'll start this year because we couldn't make a deal to upgrade (at least not yet) and the options behind him are unknown/fighting just to make the roster.

PG is the deepest position in the league by far filled with great talents and new ones incoming each year. It's only a matter of time before we upgrade.

I hope Bev surprises and dramatically improves but it's extremely hard and almost impossible to improve certain things this late in his career. Skills such as vision, dribbling, timing on passes and getting teammates easy looks, are usually natural skills or developed early on. A player can improve shooting and defense but the skills I mentioned are another story.

19. chandlerbang21

The rockets don't run traditional offense if you haven't noticed.

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

You clearly have no clue or just havent bothered watching harden the last couple years after april. You really think its a good idea to continue to force harden to run the offense? Lins gone now, so can we please talk objectively about beverely now?