1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Speculation] Rockets may target Rajon Rondo.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jul 14, 2014.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket...ikely_to_target_rondo_in_trade_after_mis.html

We can probably give them a package of Lin TPE + NOP pick + filler/expirings for Rondo..

Use MLE to sign a 4 who can knock down outside shots and do dirty work...

And we still have our BAE to sign some journeyman or vet.

And now we have our elite core of Rondo/Harden/Howard.

Does anyone know, since we are operating above the cap, can we still sign Capela or Johnson to rookie scale contracts?

2. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

The Rockets are going to try to target Rajon Rondo with a handful of meh assets. This basically describes my pursuit of Kate Upton over the last couple of years.

7 people like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They don't mention the pelicans pick which is our biggest asset outside of harden and Dwight

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why would you think that deal would get it done?

Ainge has said he wants to add stars around Rondo to try to win now but you think he's going to take salary cap space, filler crap and a pick that he can't be sure when he'll get it?

This isn't the OKC Thunder trying to dump Harden to save money while adding a complimentary player in Martin AND a draft pick.

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

They wanted Parsons and Asik. In hindsight, if they wanted Rondo they should have went ahead and pulled the trigger, but that is water under the bridge. Without Parsons to trade or Lin and Asik's salaries, this will be a very difficult move to pull off.

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

TE cannot be combined to acquire another player. So my understanding is we can only trade for a player worth 8M or less. Or does the 150% rule appy here, i.e. we can trade for a player with salary up to 12M?

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

When did he say this? Last I heard, they wanted to move forward with Marcus Smart as their PG. I figure Rondo's value is at its lowest right now (as a player). But he is also a huge expiring at the end of the season...

We can sweeten the pot by adding our own 2016 protected first too if we need to. Capela may be added to. I was trying to be conservative with such a trade since Rondo may just walk if we can't get commitment from him to stay with the team.

8. izeroi

izeroi Member

After striking out with all of the major FA's last week I won't be getting my hopes up about a rondo trade.

I will say this though. Teams won't trade with the Celts knowing Rondo won't resign with them. I think we have a better chance at getting him to resign than a lot of other teams.

That's if the Celt like what we offer. That NO pick will no doubt be offered.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I could somewhat see a three way trade that sends Love to Boston, Rondo to Houston, and the Pels pick along with a few of the Boston picks to Minnesota. The biggest question mark would be whether Love would agree to re-sign there without Rondo.

Perhaps we could also use one of our trade exceptions to acquire Brandon Bass, Kevin Martin, or Corey Brewer in a seperate transaction.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

TPE can't be packaged with contracts.

Salary-wise the Rockets have two options.

1. Send out Jones, DMo, Gee, Hopson, Canaan, & Covington. This can be only done during free agency because of the number of players involved.

2. Trade Ariza. It's basically impossible to trade for Rondo without Ariza's contract after the season begins.

11. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Love is not going to Boston without Rondo being there.

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

You're right. I was wrong in my OP. Can't use TPE with other filler to match Rondo's salary.

We could possibly get a 3rd team to make the salaries work out?

13. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

...and this is why Houston was scrambling to get the league to approve a Parsons S&T at the last minute before talks broke down for the second time.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Would be nice to have a true PG. I don't know if Harden and Rondo will mesh though. Harden would have to be more of a spot up guy than he is now.

15. autoprt

autoprt Member

ainge is pretty smart and if rondo goes he's going to want a whole lot in return.

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

We getting rando to pair with horden and haword?

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Randolph Rainbow is elite.

Get it done, Murrow.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

A Parsons TPE would have only been for around 7M because of BYC. Again not large enough to absorb of these stars.

Dragic is the most realistic trade target in terms of salary purposes but it seems the Suns are more than happy with him as their two guard.

19. HOUSTONROCKETS5

I'd prefer Millsap over Rando to be honest. He's an underrated all-star caliber player. Not to mention I think he's a better fit with Harden and Howard, then Rando would be.

Of course if we can't land Millsap, then i'm all for going after Rando.

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's hard to say what the Celtics could get for Rondo. I doubt any team that isn't already a playoff team wants him, or would be able to resign him. Most contenders don't have any more assets than the Rockets do to offer to a guy who will be a free agent a year from now and is still recovering from a major injury. Most of the contenders also already have good to great starting point guards that they are happy with, so unless they want to swap their PG for Rondo for some reason I count them out.

The only projected playoff contending teams I can think of that might have interest are Houston, Dallas, Miami, and maybe the Pacers? Who else might want him that he is likely to resign with?