1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] Life after Bosh: Why matching Parsons and focusing on 2014-15 should remain a priority

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 12, 2014.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

3. The Cat

Fixed

4. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Agreed 100%.

Yesterday stung....bad.

But, you couldn't have said it any better. I was initially torn on matching. At this point I'll disappointed if we don't. Have to count on continued growth and development as well as Morey filling out the roster with better additions than we had last year.

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Excellent commentary. While I am not enthused at the proposition I fully agree. We can't just let Parsons walk for nothing. This upcoming season would be a waste.

6. HCA

HCA Member

Bame lebron and the media for repeating i have to talk to my family like a billion times.

That is who these two ended up listening to. Especially bosh.

7. HCA

HCA Member

Wrong thread.

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

We should match, but the thing that irks me is Leslie and or Morey not doing anything to nab another good free agent at a maybe steep price. Just throw some money at Lance Stephenson, Paul Pierce or whoever. We need to go over the cap probably anyway with Parsons' contract so why not take advantage of this situation and sign a guy for a little bit more that is actually worth it?? Not Ariza!

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It's not something we'll do happily, but we have to match.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If we match Parsons, we will have the MLE right? What else could we use to add rotation players?

11. Snorkin

Snorkin Member

Screw you Littlefoot. Hope you don't find any leaves to eat and starve to death!

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Matching = win now mode (which we are in). But after gutting our rosters and nothing yet to see from it, it's all potential... we can be anywhere from a 1st round exit to a possible contender. More likely somewhere toward the 1st round exit.

Not matching = potentially not win now mode and leave us open to play in the 2015 market (Durant) ?

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Durant will become a FA in 2016, not 2015.

14. Snorkin

Snorkin Member

As much as I like parsons he is nowhere near $15 million a year. The jeremy lin trade was such a guy punch after we found out bosh isn't coming. The first rounder hurt like a b$@&!

IMO there are only two options left for the rockets. First one being to match parsons and stay in mediocrity for the next few years. Perhaps making it to the second round if we're lucky. The second option is to allow parsons to walk for nothing. I know it will suck letting a fan favorite walk like that but it will allow us to MAYBE sign KD in FA next season. I think we actually have a good chance since harden is here but it's still a toss up and gamble. If we learned anything from this free agency is that not everyone wants to come play here in houston despite our winning prowess.

15. The Cat

KD is not a free agent next season.

And if you think 54 wins in a loaded West in the first year of Howard/Harden means doomed to mediocrity forever, I think that's a little silly.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i agree that missing out on Bosh isn't the end of the world, but i do wonder what we could have traded Parsons for it we had picked up his option and worked the phones. All that's water under the bridge now.

I really hope we hear about a trade because i'm not going to be satisfied with FA role players and an over-paid parsons. Yes we'll still be competitive and certainly in the playoffs, but it's gonna take something special to beat the Spurs, Thunder and Cleveland. Keep in mind, we lost in the 1st round to the Blazers. So while i agree that we are still one of the better teams in the west over a regular season, we certainly have some work to do if we want to be a clutch playoff team.

17. Karolik

Karolik Member

yeah he's overpaid as hell, but he's matching him is the best option we have at the moment.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree with this article. Dwight is here two more years guaranteed. We can't waste that. Gotta contend each year he's here. We saw what happened when we sold out for a "superstar" this year.

First, superstars don't stay superstars every year. Guys get better, they get worse. Morey is not in the business of buying high.

Second, superstars are more fickle than any other players. With young players and middle-range guys, the logic is simple: money talks. Deng will go where he gets the best contract. Same with Ariza, Stephenson, Bledsoe.

Lebron? He makes enough money from endorsements. Now it's about winning, but don't forget to toss in there the hometown factor and his overall legacy (one championship in Cleveland would outweigh four in Miami just because of that franchise's ineptitude till now, plus the idea that he would be the unquestioned top dog on the team without an obvious second superstar the way Wade was before Lebron).

Carmelo? It's all about greenbacks + Lala + growing up in New York. Bosh? Who the hell knows what goes on in the mind of someone with so much estrogen.

The point is, you can't trust any superstar to be anything more than a 50/50 proposition, no matter how great a fit you think you are. For every superstar that commits to one franchise, there are another one or two franchises that bet everything for the chance just to get jilted.

So let's go all-in in 2014-2015, with our two superstars and as best a supporting cast as we can cobble together with our cap space in the next 36hrs. Parsons coming back is not a question. It's a MUST. I don't care that he plays crappy defense now. You all saw what happened to our team when Parsons was injured last year. It was worse than Harden or Howard being out. He's our glue guy and as much a part of our core as anyone else now.

1 person likes this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

While the players on the Rckets should improve, so will the players on other teams.

With the two teams as they are, OKC will always have the Rockets number because they have players that take our two best players out of the game. Harden has difficulty scoring against their athletic wings and help defense from Ibaka. They have bigs to shut Howard down. OTOH, we dont have the defense to slow down their stars.

Spurs coaching and system will always beat this team in a playoff series. Dont bring regular season arguments into this. Playoffs are a different animal.

Clippers were better than the Rockets last season and they should be even better this season. Dont forget that as good as Griffin was last year, he is still improving.

Depending on the moves Mavs make, they will improve as well and might very well bypass the Rockets for the next season. The other Chandler (Tyson) is an excellent pickup for them.

IF the Rockets pick up some decent pieces, I can see them being better than the Mavs, the Blazers, and the Warriors, but I do not see them having picked up enough pieces to beat either the Clipper, Spurs, or the OKC in a playoff series.

Those three teams have us beat by a wide margin in terms of coaching, talent, and matchups. Barring some drastic changes, I do not see us beating those three teams in a playoff series.

#19 Zboy, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with that article 100%.

Great read Cat!

1. Keep Parsons
    2. Upgrade with High Quality Depth
    3. Allow team to improve organically while already a contender