1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much improvement will we see in Beverley and Jones this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Jul 11, 2014.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It is usually the 3rd season that players make that significant jump, I am hoping we will see that in at least one of these guys (or even Motie).

If Jones learns even a modicum of defence, then we will be well on the way to forgetting the burn of the early off season!

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I think Jones might be able to make a jump. Beverly is what he is. A 3rd PG on a contender currently. I could see him continue to develop his 3pt shot and be a decent backup on a team.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Beverly has made a jump. His 3 point shot, especially at the corners is money and he has developed a pretty depending hook shot at the rim.

4. basketballholic

not seeing it from Terrence. DMo is 3/6 from distance. Much too small a sample size to mean much but at Terrence is 1/6 and while much too small a sample size, the small sample we have is the same shot he had when he left town in May.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Beverley has played some professional years abroad so he is more of a known, just not to the NBA world.

Terrence is more of an unknown, but it is safe to say he is at least a serviceable bench player in the NBA at the very least, it is up to him what he makes of his talent.

6. omgTHEpotential

One of T-Jones or DMo will make a significant jump. I'm betting on DMo - his defense has really improved and Jones is not even close in that department.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Jones has a lot of upside.

But it looks like DMo is pushing through to get more minutes.

8. solo241

solo241 Member

I haven't personally seen much growth in Jones's game since preseason started. I wonder what he spent his time working on this summer. If anything, it's almost as if he's regressed. He doesn't seem as confident and is a bit more hesitant than last year.

That being said, I would not be surprised at all if Jones just starts balling once the regular season comes around.

As for D-Mo, his post game seems more consistent now, his defense has improved, and he's done a lot better job of not giving up ticky-tack fouls. I'm real interested to see how this battle for the 4 plays out.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Beverley is a quality starter - barely turns it over, can hit the 3, can play D. Doesn't demand the ball, doesn't feel the need to use 20 seconds of shot clock to artificially create an assist. So many teams have won it all with that type of PG. As far as I'm concerned, I have no idea why we are seeking a starting quality PG unless his knee is a real concern. I can see lots of teams winning it all with Beverley at PG.

T Jones can be a quality starter, but it will take more repetition for him to get better at defense. I think he's a talented young guy with one season's worth of games plus a playoff series under his belt. He is 22 years old. The only people younger than him on the roster are Tarik Black, Clint Capela and Nick Johnson - all of whom are likely to play most of this year in the D-League. He's really young and really inexperienced. The only thing we can really accuse him of is not developing at an above average rate. If we take all these things into consideration, he is just such a promising asset. I'm even willing to give him a waiver this season if he's inconsistent. Just takes time. We hoped he would blow us away - and he did, sometimes. Other times, it was scary how invisible he was. It's ok to be that inconsistent at his age/experience level. We're not talking about a 32 year old Garcia. We're talking about a guy who wouldn't be the oldest person in this past draft, and only has one season and two training camps of experience. Three if you count this one. He's more likely to develop into our starter than we are to acquire a starting calibre PF IMO.

I would not bet against him improving gradually throughout the year to the point where he is a much improved player come playoff time. At the same time, I wouldn't be shocked if he were still the same player. It is what it is. I'm glad to have him, and I'm excited to see him play with more confidence and experience. To act like you are fed up with him and you know he won't get much better seems hilarious to me.

1 person likes this.
  10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

Bev is basically a chalmers clone. Jones...well he will improve for sure, but he still looks raw to me.

12. jedicro

jedicro Member

What does that even mean? He shot 30% from 3 last year, and 34% post all-star break. 1/6 is hardly indicative of....well anything. I'm not saying he's gonna become a 36% 3PT shooter or something, but I think you are too quick to write him off.

13. joxford

joxford Member

Bev definitely isn't a 3rd point guard. He may be a lower end starter, but there aren't 15 backup points better than him, let alone 3rd string quality. The spurs are probably the only team he would be a 3rd stringer on, and thats after patty comes back from injury.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Beverley becomes a high percentage 3pt shooter, he'll be a great fit with our starting unit. We don't really need to upgrade. But we still need to upgrade the bench though.

My concern is that we might rely too much on Harden as the play maker. As of now, we don't have anyone who can create offense when Harden sits. As inconsistent as Lin was, he's still a better play maker than Beverley. Now that he is gone, I worry that we might go back to the JVG era. Whenever TMac sat, the whole offense went down the drain even though we had a great offensive center.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Bev is a great option as a 3&D guard. I see him as a situational starter, and a very good 1st guard off the bench that can play opposite a ball handler. He's not going to suddenly become a Rondo-esqe distributor, and we shouldn't expect him to. If he can get to 38% from 3 and 45% at the corners, he will be a great fit for this team now and in the future. With Llull and Gentile in the pipeline as facilitators/scorers, we should be able to fix our bench offense next year.

The real problem with this team is at the 4. No surprise to anyone. Every asset we have should be geared toward fixing our PF rotation. Papanikolaou gives us some of that as a stretch 4. I expect him to get 30 minutes a game....15 at SF and 15 at PF. We really need a true 4 that can D-up in the post, shoot, and play some backup 5 minutes. Until we get a final "no", I would position for LMA or Al Horford.

16. jedicro

jedicro Member

I completely agree. One thing I would say is that Papanikolau is a surprisingly good creator and passer. I've really liked the ball movement with him and DMo on the floor. I do think we'll need someone to step up at PG, but I don't expect the second unit to suffer from poor ball movement altogether.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, it certainly seems that way. He is gaining confidence with every game.

18. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I think bev is here to stay. From what I've seen, Morey seems to really like bev and loves his attitude and the intensity to this team. Haha I'm pretty sure he talks to himself to get pumped up

Scoring 11 points next to harden, dwight, and parsons really isn't that bad your first year as a starter in the nba. Plus he brings lock down defense in a league full of superstar points guards that are normally the 1 or 2 option for a team

After losing parsons I think Morey knows trading Beverly would piss harden and howard off. Howard would not have that **** when he is in win now mode and Morey keeps swapping players left and right

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not enough to make any significant difference.

Beverley is what he is. A hard working PG that will be a pest and make decent amount of 3 pointers to keep defense honest.

Jones is a low IQ player that was exposed in the playoffs. We need to upgrade him.

20. basketballholic

I haven't wrote him off. Even though I've been accused of that over the last 14-16 months or so. But...........I'm getting close to doing so. That is to say....getting close to writing him off as the solution for us at the 4. We've got to have a 4 that can shoot the 3-ball effectively. I don't see it in Terrence. Haven't seen improvement in his shot over the last 2 seasons now. And not seeing it after another "offseason of working on his game". So I'm getting very close to saying the end is at hand as far as Terrence being the long-term solution at the 4 for us. I don't think it's too many days away. He should have shown a definitive improvement in efficiency and WILLINGNESS to take the 3-ball shot since the DEFENSE DARES HIM TO SHOOT IT. But he hasn't. He still holds the ball, looking to dribble it and try to get in the paint and create or finish while the D is sagging off daring him to shoot it. Only inexperienced rookie and 2nd year defenders run out and attempt to D him up on the perimeter when he catches. Everybody else just sags off daring him to shoot it.

And he's only got off 6 shots and he's only hit 1. Not......looking........good.

Don't be surprised if he is traded..........................sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.