1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bosh Opts Out, Should He Be Our #1 Priority?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Jun 16, 2014.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

There is so much speculation on the third star player the Rockets are going to add this off season. LeBron James, Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony, and Rajon Rondo are names constantly thrown out there. But, I think Chris Bosh should be the number 1 priority for our team, if he opts out of his contract.

The other options and why they don't make sense:
    LeBron James: I, along with everyone on this board, would rejoice if LeBron picked Houston as his next kingdom. Adding the best player in the league is a no brainer. I do think there is a small chance he might choose us. He might think with Harden and Howard, he can cruise the regular season then have the energy to explode in the post season. It was obvious that LeBron was wearing down this season and especially in the playoffs when his team failed to show up. He is still LeBron but he is getting older and has plenty of miles on his legs. He should only be concerned about the post season and with Houston, he could do that.
    Kevin Love: Morey already said the Rockets probably don't have enough to swing a Love trade, so unless Love absolutely wants to play here and only here, a Love trade to Houston this off season is not likely. I personally feel like Boston will be able to trade for Love which means that they won't trade Rondo. Rondo and Love are a top 3 team in the East.
    Rajon Rondo: See above. And he and Harden won't mix very well, I feel. Only if Harden decides to play more off ball, which I don't think he is interested in doing right now in his career.
    Carmelo Anthony: This board has exhausted the "why's" and "why not's" in the argument of bringing in Carmelo. Personally, I'm all for getting Melo. I don't think he is the best fit, but you can't deny a top 15 player in the league if he wants to come here. He should be Plan B.

Why Bosh?
    Bosh would make a lot of sense here. Other than Love, he is the best fit for our team.
    -He immediately upgrades our starting line up without sacrificing size as we would if we brought in Melo and tried to start him and Parsons as our forwards. The West is filled with good to elite power forwards. I'm tired of watching LMA, Ibaka, Griffin and even David Lee bully Jones and D-Mo. Bosh can defend them and make them work defensively.
    -He brings a championship attitude and experience. I think he is one of those guys who is a strong team leader and will talk to a guy who isn't doing their job right. This team needs someone who will do that and get into the face of teammates.
    -He can play the center position for periods of time. Getting any of these free agents will mean trading Omer Asik. Everyone remembers how bad our paint defense is when Omer and Dwight were not on the floor. With Bosh, you have a solid big man rotation of Howard/Bosh, Bosh/Jones, Howard/Jones.
    -His game matches Harden and Howard. Bosh is a very good at pick n pops. He does have three point range and has a real nice jumper. He can also slash pretty well, pass and post up.
    -He just spent the last 4 seasons happily as the 3rd option. He won't demand the amount of touches that the other star players would like and knows how to be the third option on a team.
    -One of the more better reasons is that I don't think he would ask for max money, if he got to play for a contender. I think something in the range of 15 to 17 million per year is his price range and what he will ultimately get.
    -Bosh and Howard are (were) really good friends.

Conclusion:
    Bosh is arguable the best fit for this Rockets team. He adds size to the starting line up, while additions like Melo hurt our size significantly. He solves the back up center position with Omer gone. His game and attitude matches the styles of Harden and Howard. And he probably won't be a max contract guy.

Sidenote: I do think Bosh will decide everything based on what LeBron does. If LeBron opts in, Bosh will opt in too. If LeBron leaves to a team that can sign both him and Bosh, Bosh will follow.

1 person likes this.
  2. arjun

arjun Member

Honestly, melo plays bigger than bosh. Height isn't the end all.

Boshs passive attitude and play is the last thing we need. We need killers.

1 person likes this.
  3. anchel

anchel Member

Probably.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be setting our goals pretty low.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yuck,

Bosh isn't even all all star in the west

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Bosh would be a better fit than Melo.

One of the best PnR defenders in the league. Doesn't demand a billion touches. Can play Center when Howard sits.

I might be an odd ball, but I do not want Lebron. I want to beat Lebron!

7. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Every other player you listed is better than Bosh...Melo is by far a better player and even rebounds more than him... We don't want Bosh's passiveness/softness on this team unless he was the LAST option available from the players you listed. Also, even in that case, I would rather trade for Millsap and sign Lowry as a FA.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

9. sammo

sammo Member

lots of people dont give bosh credit for what he does.

check the heat's defense stat when he's on/off the court and be surprised.

10. JazzLakerHater

I still think Bosh is underrated as a player. But if I had a choice of Bosh and Melo, it's not even a discussion.

11. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Bosh is the BEST fit for the team obviously.

Lebron will take the team further.

1. Lebron
    2. Bosh
    3. Love
    4. Melo
    5. Lowry/Milsap

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Conversely check Bosh's defensive stats from his years in Toronto. I'm not saying he's a bad defender but so much of it with Miami is the system and the fact that Lebron can guard all 5 positions.

He simply wouldn't have the same defensive impact here, though he'd be light years better than TJones and probably would have meant a first round victory.

But the Melo would have as well. Aldridge being forced to guard one of Dwight, Melo or Parsons wound have made him much less effective offensively IMO. It's the Spurs strategy against Lillard that worked amazingly. Make him defend just as hard as he plays offense.

13. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Would rather have Love or even Paul Millsap.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

why would he opt out? Would he rather have 4 yrs 50 mil than 2 yrs 40? I would think no.. Unless Lebron opts out and Bosh wants to win, I guess.

I think Bosh's game is somewhat in decline, and I'd prefer Melo, Love, etc. Bosh wouldn't be a bad alternative though

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Harden is a killer - he kills the team sometimes with his ISO ball.

But in all seriousness - I have to agree. Bosh sometimes plays a bit too passive, Melo certainly would be a killer but the big question mark will always be how he and harden can adjust to each other. Bosh woudl fit right in tbh.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Would definitely take him but would prefer Melo.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

meh... if the only reason to fit in Bosh is just because of his height, shooting and championship pedigree, why not make a case for Dirk?

Ryan Anderson or even Channing Frye is a pretty good option and will not be getting close to the max. Heck, Hawes anyone?

Would much rather break the bank for Love or Melo.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

You're talking to CF, they will say stuff like this^^^^

some here do understand what you're trying to say, but most here are just going to want the highest score (all star) we can get.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

The only good case I can make for melo over bosh is, harden & Howard can lower their mins to 30 mins a game. because each can create, how pops did with his players all season, even if the game is close during reg. season still only play them 30mins so everyone is well rested and healthy for playoffs. (Finals has to be main priority) HARDEN COMING OFF BENCH still playing 30mins ?

BOSH
    -better fit
    -no touches issue
    -humble vet
    -better p&r D (one of our main struggles)
    -5 mill cheaper (can get another player)
    -better rim protection & one on one PF D

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

How bout this...Ill take any of them