1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Mchale is one of the reasons we are struggling with the officials

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

There were many bad calls in the last 2 games against the Rockets, other than the judgement calls on fouls, we are not getting any breaks on some of the out of bound balls which can't be reviewed.

I hate to beat a dead horse but if you are paying attention to small details, you will notice that McHale is one of the reasons that we are not getting those marginal calls that can go either way.

examples :

1. In G1, remember that T that the ref gave to Bev? Bev was so pumped up and made a personal foul at that time against Lillard and then while he was walking away and talking to himself, the ref Ted him up. At that moment, McHale was standing RIGHT NEXT to Bev, instead of at least helping your player to talk to the ref about the T (clearly the personal foul was a correct call), McHale was just saying : "Bev, Bev, Bev, Bev....". You do not do that in front of the ref even you don't not agree with your own players.

2. Howard had been hacked or pushed multiple times the last 2 games, never once McHale argued or even attempt to make a strong complain to the refs, if that will be Doc Rivers, I will assure you to see different results.

3. There were multiple times in the last two game when a marginal foul call or out of bound plays happened, McHale was never expressed any complains to the refs immediately but rather acting like the same as the other 20 thousands attendants in TC, looking at the screen at top to see the replay first.

You know what, all the refs hate people looking at replays and then complain, especially on judgement calls. I understand McHale can not stand for a long time during the game because of his physical condition, but if you can not at least show the refs some faith that you are believing at what you have just seen but rather relying on the replay? You will not get any respects from the refs.

If we want more calls from the refs, McHale needs to do better at least.

1 person likes this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

McHale is the reason we are struggling, period. There's no reason to dwell on the officiating.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well, the issue with McHale is not only on how he manage the team, his reputation as a coach and the ways he acted on the court (as mentioned above) actually will affect the officiating we are getting.

If you are not getting respects from the refs, you will not get marginal calls.

And more than often, that extra 2-3 possessions can decide the game.

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm tired of all the complaining about McHale. Morey needs to fire McHale so we can complain about another coach.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's McHale's fault that a couple people in the stands ordered Heinekens and they got Budweiser.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It wouldnt have come down to 2-3 possessions if McHale did a better job coaching....good teams avoid close games.

7. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

To be fair Obama has some fault.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I still don't understand how Hardens 4 point play didn't count..

9. awc713

awc713 Member

The Blazers are one of the reasons we are struggling with the officials

10. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

so what, it's not the reason why we lost the game.....

LMA kicking major buttage and our star James Harden playing like garbage is why we down 2, and could well get swept...

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't know about that but it seems obvious he's being severely outcoached.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I wish I could sit in those seats. How far down do you have to be to get waiter service? Is the menu different?

13. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I think most will agree that the officiating has been poor at best in this series so far. It seemed to me that, especially in the previous game, the problem was not neccessarily the number of fouls that the rockets were called for (and let's throw in non-calls on the blazers), but the timing of those fouls. I felt that everytime the rockets built some momentum, the refs would kill it either by:
    - calling some BS touch/invisible foul on the rockets
    - swallowing their whistles while portland hacks away and causes a turnover
    - giving the ball to portland after it gets knocked out of bounds by portland

I know these players are professionals and get paid big big money to deal with adversity, but the rockets are obviously completely frustrated and you can almost read their lips saying 'wtf are we supposed to do?' when they try to play aggressive like portland but get penalized for it. I think it would be hard to not get demoralized after that happens over and over and over.

That said, the rockets have had their chances and blew them. I dont think either of the losses so far would sting as much if we saw this team giving their best effort each night and if we saw adjustments made during the game (or at least between games). Blame goes to both the players and the coaching staff, although you have to wonder how things would have turned out if we had someone like Pop or Carlisle at the helm.

No one expected the rockets to do anything in the playoffs last year against OKC... they were the better team and everyone knew it, but this year I think you could argue that HOU is the better team which just makes this collapse that much harder to take. Still, you have to hold out hope that we see a miraculous turnaround and take the next 4 games to redeem ourselves.

14. houtown

houtown Member

I agree with your take on the games. I feel that the players have to feel the coach has their back, especially on bad calls. We all know McHale is not a good Xs and Os coach, but leads his squad based on experience. Can't leave your players hanging, especially when its weighing on the teams mind. The players were clearly agitated by the officiating and needed someone to vouch for them. The least McHale could do is talk to the refs and confront the issue with his players head on. This was the biggest issue for me, not the Xs and Os.

15. strifed169

strifed169 Member

There are so many things Mchale does that make you wonder if he has a brain, we should just make a list:

- Lin scores 5 consecutive points, makes 1 mistake? bench him
    - "The first team that plays defense is gonna win this game!" *clapclapclap*
    - Crunchtime and we need a stop? Leave Harden in for defense
    - Crunchtime and were down by 2-3 points? ISO
    - LMA goes for 40+ in the first 2 playoff games, double him? not even once

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, McHale isn't having a great series by any stretch of the imagination - but geez, this is getting ridiculous. The calls are his fault? C'mon.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

???????????

18. houtown

houtown Member

I'm not saying the calls are his fault. Its more of sticking up for your players through the bad calls and discussing them with the ref. A way to engage yourself in the game and ignite your team.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member

I blame mchale for all wars