1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 max money watch. Salary cap now projected at $66.5mil

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Apr 18, 2014.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=304

Edit: Updated new numbers and roster calculations to include 2014 and potentially 2015 1st round draft picks due to adjustment to Beverley and Parsons cap hold, which actually gives the Rockets more money to spend.

I feel BimaThug will write a new article on this soon. But at first glance, this seems VERY GOOD for the people who want LMA or Love in 2015. $66.5mil is definitely higher than what most people here projected for next offseason.

For reference on Rockets salaries in 2015.

Howard - $22.36
    Harden - $15.76
    Beverley - $1.18(Cap Hold)
    Parsons - $1.83(Cap Hold)
    Canaan - $0.95
    TJones - $2.49
    2014 1st round pick - ~$1.2mil (Based on paying 120% of rookie salary scale)
    Roster Cap Hold x4 - $2.63 ($525,093 x4)
    Love/Aldridge - ~$18.6mil starting salary available

Love as a 7yr player and Aldridge at 9yr player are eligible for the 30% max(although in reality slightly less), or $18.7mil starting salary based on the $66.5mil cap. The Rockets therefore would be able to fit one of them at slightly less than absolute max. If worse come to worst, the Rockets can Cannan go to give the absolute max.

If the Rockets also keep their 2015 1st round pick at a salary est. to be ~$1mil depending on the draft position and whether to offer him the 120% or only 80% that the Rockets theoretically can give him, it would mean taking off roughly $0.5mil to the offer to Love/Aldridge. I think this is very feasible.

2015 possible lineup

Howard
    Love-Aldridge/TJones
    Parsons
    Harden
    Beverley/Canaan
    2014 1st round pick
    2015 1st round pick

Note: Should Covington or Daniels or some other breakout scenario occur next year, the Rockets can keep them at a cost of roughly ~$0.5mil less money per player offered to Love/Aldridge. Canaan if he flames out can be traded to save a little money too.

$525,093

#1 meh, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Boy oh boy if we could get Kevin Love on this team.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Perfect time for a salary cap bump. But first things first, let's win as much as we can this year.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Love is not coming here. LA is too perfect for him.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Where's Melo? Shame on you.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Carmelo at PF?

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey make it so.

8. Classic

Classic Member

Considering he reads the boards and gets ideas from posters you may now officially que the Ron Paul gif

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Stretch 4? Not sure but if he says he wants to come here to play with beard and d12 then morey will tell chandler adios

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Thanks for doing the basic math. Glad you made this thread.

I don't see the Rockets keeping Jones in the scenario of bringing in a 3rd max guy at PF though.
    3 max guys + Parsons at ~10mil and Beverley at ~MLE money would put the Rockets right at the projected luxury tax line and there probably will be more than one (rebuilding) team willing to outbid the Rockets for Jones once he hits the market.

Keeping D-Mo around long term is a little more reasonable IMO.

11. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Believe me Parson will make more than 2.41 in 2015 no to mention that Harden's salary will go up as well.

12. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Dwight must be shaking at the prospect of Carmelo and Harden's perimiter D on the same team...

82 DQ's for the season... "Hey guys I can pick up SOME of the slack for ONE sieve but not BOTH of y'all!!!"

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Granted but you still have Bev and Parson who could focus more defense and then most likely we would go get a Corey Brewer type.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think ultimately the Rockets will work out a trade next trade deadline and that the capspace is more a threat than execution. And the more capspace, the more threat to Minnesota or Portland.

Also I think Les is willing to go into the luxury tax. The new CBA doesn't really punish the Rockets much for the first few years. And should they fail, Dwight will come off the books in 2 years anyway to put the Rockets under the tax. If they succeed as a trio, Les will be making so much money it won't matter.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

The new cap projections don't really affect our chances at Melo much. Whereas many people were pessimistic whether the cap would make huge jumps in consecutive years. If the $66.5mil is correct, it would be $8mil higher than this year. That's a lot of money.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets' cap situation is even better than you make it out to be.

Chandler Parsons's cap hold would only be $1,833,025.

Patrick Beverley's cap hold would only be $1,181,348.

I thought about writing something at some point, but I'd like to see how 2014 free agency plays out first.

1 person likes this.
  17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Yes, U r right!
    I don't understand why he said:
    Beverley - $2.29(Cap Hold)
    Parsons - $2.41(Cap Hold)

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

The tricky thing is that Morey will be tugged two ways in 2014 free agency. He will want to upgrade the current team for a title run next season, but he also will need to preserve flexibility at the same time (unless he can make a trade for one of these guys in the offseason). That means one year deals/deals with a team option, and makes it hard to spend the full MLE.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Oh and it also makes it harder to trade Asik and/or Lin without getting back similar expirings in return, or a third star.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well the big question is what to do this offseason. Do we wait and basically stay put? No quality player will come here on a one year deal - maybe some veteran. Or do we improve this team as much as possible and destroy any chances to sign a FA star in 2015?

I don`t know what the smart way is here. We are not desperate anymore, the current team with a guy like Jamal Crawford off the bench and Jones/DMo taking the next step would be a serious title contender. But we have the chance at a legit big 3 here. I feel like LMA could be willing to sign here, Love not so much. With him we would be the best big 3 since Miami.

But I kinda got the feeling, if we get the chance to sign a real good FA this offseason, we do it.