1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons shooting form

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Apr 9, 2014.

1. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Damn is that not one of the ugliest shooting forms you've ever seen (besides MKG)? Everytime he shoots I cringe. It's like he goes up and regrets that he took the shot so he's still thinking about shooting or passing while he's in mid-air.... and then decides to shoot it. He may shoot a nice percentage but just imagine how good he would be if he corrected his form.

2. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Have any of you old timers ever seen a player in the past completely correct or change his shooting form in attempt to becoming a better shooter?

3. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it

4. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

but it is broke.. which leads to his inconsistent shooting.

5. bmd

bmd Member

The only thing that look bad about it is he sways too much. A little sway is considered to be good form. But he sways so much he's basically shooting a fade away.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He is a streaky shooter and I sometimes cringe when he shoots, becuz he shoots that way sometimes even when he is close to the basket, but I mean it could be worse. He is still a damn good shooter, it just looks awkward. I think you'll find in the playoffs that his shot is just fine.

7. basketballholic

It is broke and it sux. He hits his fair out there simply because he's 6'10". But for all the work he puts into his jumper it still sux. I hate it. Wished he'd get a good shooting coach to break him down and rebuild him right. All that fading and falling away crap when he's 6'10". Holding the ball too long before releasing it. He could be a big time all-star if he could fix this one aspect of his game.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Ever see Kenny Smith's shots? Line drives with weird side spin action. Sometimes you don't have to have pretty form to be effective.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Aside from ball trajectory, their jumpers are not similar at all. Kenny, at 6'3", used his legs effectively to elevate and release at the peak of his vertical.

Chandler often jumps to 'hang' while pushing his shoulders back and legs forward. This causes him to release on the way down, in effect, negating the transfer of energy from his legs to his upper body. His shot is all arm. Explains why his shot trajectory is terribly flat.

Chandler would struggle to stay in the league if he were Kenny's height.

10. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Shawn Marion made his shooting form work for years. Chandler just needs to put a bit more arc in his shot. He's shown he can shoot it somewhat more consistently than Lin (which isn't saying much) but I don't think he needs to alter his entire motion. He was shooting 50%- FG /40% - 3pt pre all star but post he's dropped his % significantly.

At least he's not shooting at Rafer Alston's %..

11. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

^but I will say that Chandler's jump shot is effective when he's rested.

I strongly believe his poor mechanics are a function of tired legs brought on my excessive minutes. McHale should consider DNP-CD for at least 2 games before the start of the postseason. We should be locked into the 4th seed by then.

As with Harden, a rested and determined Parsons is invaluable to our playoff success.

12. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

I agree. Take for instance, Joakim Noah, Shawn Marion, Ant Jamison, throw in Marcus Camby.. But keyword is Effective. Unfortunately, Parsons isn't producing.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's risky. He could end up worse if he does that.

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The main problem is he doesn't shoot at the peak of his jump. He could probably get more arc on that shot if he did that. Another problem is that he doesn't always shoot straight up and down. He'll tend to fade back on his shot and short-arm the shot as a result. But overall, it's not MKG bad. That is an awful jumpshot.

15. yummyhawtsauce

the question is, who taught him to shoot like that in the first place? You would think a guy like parsons from a suburban middle class white family could afford a good youth bball coach

16. coffeelover665

Nah it's too late to change it now. We just have to live with it. He isn't some toddler with a bad shooting form, he's our starting small forward that makes 3's at a high clip. I'm ok with it despite it's ugly head.

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

What is wrong with it, oh Clutchfans shooting experts? We have any Ray Allen's online?

The man is shooting 37% from threes.

Oh so you mean he is taking a jump shot then?

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I was wondering if I was missing something, but Parsons is shooting 36% from 3pt this year, the exact same as Harden. And 38% last year. He had about a 12-game shooting slump recently, but that's a pretty small portion of the season.

I admit I'm not sure where this is coming from that he is not producing.

19. jcage

jcage Member

I noticed his form last night and started thinking that I didn't remember it being like that. I'm going to go back and take a look because I can't believe I didn't notice it sooner.

20. j_shooter11

j_shooter11 Member

The one thing he does that almost nobody does, is that he has his right foot behind his left foot when he elevates for the jumper. That is a very odd and improper way to have your feet when you are shooting.