1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick the Ruler Strikes Again.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Rick the Ruler doing wonders in Minny. He's the coach the Rockets need. Man he did such a great job here. Sadly we're stuck with McFail.

Too bad the Rockets organization stuck with Morey's philosophies and brought in a Moreyball guy in Kevin McHale. We'd be doing AMAZING right now with Rick the Ruler and his hand picked players in Bud/K-Mart.

He does such a good job managing stars that Kevin Love is definitely going to stay in Minnesotta. Unlike McFail who has two unhappy stars in Haren (he's giving the D to some stripper as we speak) and Dwight "no low post game" Howard.

Long live Rick the Ruler.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=138478

3 people like this.
  2. cbk41

cbk41 Member

RA is a amazing coach, but wouldn't be suited to take on a young team that is constantly changing (good or bad) with respect player dynamics.

He needs a team he can dominate and run like the well-oiled offense he employs. The rockets have a stern, yet very likeable leader of men in McHale. He's the right fit. Let what we have mature and mesh together and hit the ceiling as high as possible at the right time. KMac and the team will rise together as he becomes a better coach. That's how dynasties are formed, friend.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Lots of Wolves fans thinks hes washed up now.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Sarcasm. This thread has it.

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I usually hate these kinds of threads, but in this case, I love it.

Maybe because I originally was excited to get McHale because I thought he would keep our players happy while we lose and get a top draft pick. I mean, I wasn't HOPING for that scenario, but I thought McHale would do a great job at that. After his first season going one game better than Rick, he earned my respect. I feel as though Rick is a hall of famer, but, McHale really has done a great job.

With that being said, I still think we will end up losing somewhere second round-ish in the playoffs and we will still need to upgrade at the coach position. But, McHale has earned my respect and has done a great job with his tenure at Houston.

6. jocar

jocar Member

This thread rick-rolled!

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Overrated

1 person likes this.
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I like to go to the Wolves boards to read on how they feel about Rick. These days, it's basically endless bashing it seems.

Tonight for example.

- Why Rick no keep JJ Barea from playing?
    - Why Rick no play Dieng earlier at backup center over scrub Cunningham?
    - Why Rick no calls timeouts to stop runs?
    - Why Rick no remember to play Shabazz?
    - Why Rick no know how to subsitute?
    - Why Rick no make adjustments?

Any of the above sounds familiar? :)

Don't get me wrong. I love Rick Adelman. I think we'd still be contenders with him as coach(assuming we'd still get Dwight). But he was nowhere near as important as Morey even back then in my mind.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Honestly it was just such a dumb sentiment that Rick Adelman was ever key to any success the Rockets were having.

Morey is the real genius here. He's built squads that have constantly performed better than expected. And when Rick the Ruler decided to tell Morey he didn't like what he was doing, welp...

Rick the Ruler got the boot to go rule in Greenland. Sorry, I mean Minnesota.

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I still think Adelman is pretty underrated overall. He was arguably a top 5 coach in his prime years. His Kings team played some of the most beautiful basketball ever seen, in my opinion. Its like current Spurs' offensive effectiveness with more exciting players. I still watch Webber, Divac, Peja, Bibby/Williams, Jackson and Christie Kings' highlight and they played years before I got into the NBA.

But now, I do think it is time for him to retire. I wish he would have gotten a ring with us that '08-'09 season because he deserved it, I felt. But currently, he doesn't have a championship caliber roster and he is getting too old to travel the NBA schedule.

Best of wishes to him in retirement, when he does. He is a hall of fame coach in my opinion.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You guys better check your sarcasm meter. Lol.

12. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

As far as I remember, the biggest problem was that he wasn't willing to trade his players. He is a great coach but if he had his way, we would still have the same team and not have Harden or Howard. Also, I remember the disagreement him and Morey had about the assistant coaches.

13. Fantasma Negro

He's washed up, he's done

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Some of you guys are sad.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Rick - No thanks. Nice guy- great history - but no.

16. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I get the point of this thread but you must not be a basketball fan if you overlook what he brought to the table.

I mean, the type of offense he was running with players like Hayes, Scola, Bud and K-Mart was beautiful to watch.

That being said, I don't think his heart is in it anymore. He seems checked out. But one thing is for sure, neither last year or this year is going to negate what this man did with the corner offense.

Love ya Rick!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dwhaW2nVVcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    The point of this thread is to look back in retrospect at some ridiculous opinions that were running rampant between 08-09 and then again in 11 (when we hired McHale).

There were a lot of people who seemed to foolishly think that Adelman was the right choice. He clearly was not. They also seemed to be of the opinion that somehow one series win in 4 year equated to the standard that Rick Adelman accomplished something in Houston. Which again, he did not.

At the time Adelman was let go/McHale was hired many people were of the opinion that:
    1) Morey was a fool.
    2) We'd regret letting Adelman go.
    3) Adelman was the right guy going forward.

I think all of these have been debunked. (As an aside; for some crazy reason, on occasion, I still see some people wishing we had Adelman)

McHale was clearly the right choice to manage the team in Morey's image. He's doing a wonderful job at it. All the critics be damned.

To kind of sum up things for those who have a hard time following..

-Morey is the most important piece to this franchise
    -Adelman was always overrated and too much "success" (which he hardly had as a Rocket) was attributed to him
    -Our current coaching staff is doing a damn fine job

#17 DudeWah, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick is one of the best coaches in nba history and rockets history.

He got screwed over by les on money .

Sucks that some so called rockets fans don't respect him.

1 person likes this.
  19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Nah Rick isn't one of the best coaches in Rockets history

That's reserved for guys who actually did things in the playoffs.

Such as:

[​IMG]
    <br>
    That's a true Rockets legend.

True Rockets fans know this.

1 person likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Honestly, this is just such a dumb sentiment that Rick Adelman was never key to any success the Rockets were having.