ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Rockets Still Have "Room" For Improvement
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston rockets, nba Tags
BimaThug is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/6214/r...r-improvement/

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

Sponsored Link
haoafu is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
haoafu
Contributing Member
haoafu is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodhaoafu is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18655
Fun continues...

coachbadlee is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
coachbadlee
Rookie
coachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45147
Only a player like Granger would satisfy the masses.

Hey Texans!!! Keep #1. Draft Barr!!!
"Are you kidding me??!! That's your point guard!!" Matt Bullard

davidio840 is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
davidio840
Contributing Member
davidio840 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredavidio840 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredavidio840 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredavidio840 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredavidio840 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredavidio840 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredavidio840 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2010
Member: #46697
Thanks David. Great insight on the MLE. Perhaps we can add a vet off the bench for our playoff run. I am not a fan of Terry (obviously) but a 3 pt weapon off the bench using the MLE would be a great addition to the team as we strive for a championship.

basketballholic is online now Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
basketballholic
Contributing Member
basketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 2013
Member: #54577
According to Deeks, not only do the Rox have the Room MLE but this list of possible playoff contenders also have some portion of an exception:

Memphis - $4.615 million left of non-taxpayer MLE
Memphis - $2.016 million Bi-Annual Exception
Miami - $3.183 million Taxpayer MLE
OKC - $5.150 million entire MLE
OKC _ $2.016 million Bi-Annual Exception
Indiana - $2.150 million of MLE
Atlanta - $5.250 million disabled player exception
Brooklyn - $5.250 million disabled player exception
PHoenix - $2.652 million Room MLE
Toronto - $2.016 Bi-Annual Exception

(I did not confirm if these are up to date.)

My concern is when some of these vets come free, they're going to have some choices besides just us. I'd love to see a buyout of Granger and him sign here but....there will likely be competition for his services.

Old Man Rock is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Old Man Rock
Contributing Member
Old Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #913
When I read the title I thought you were referring to internal improvement. But instead you are talking about financial flexibility to sign another player. Good info. Morey is so aware of everything.

I would add more importantly the Rockets have a lot of room for internal improvement within the players already on the squad. They have only recently begun to gel. Beverly and Lin have been out at various times and are only now learning there roles together and individually. Everyone is just learning to move the ball into Howard better and more frequently. harden is learning to trust others a little more. DMo has only been part of the real rotation a month and a half and is becoming the second most important player off the bench. Asik has finally returned and he is here to stay and in spite of all the media negativity he has shown a desire to contribute already.

Mchale even brought back the twin towers which I think is still an option for spurts. Are biggest weakness is a backup for Parsons and with the return of Garcia, the move of Casspi to the 3, the edition of Hamilton and the emergence of Covington in the DLeague someone has got to to help there.

There is still room for improvement across the board. McHale is even improving his rotations and coaching. This team will get better and they need to if they have any hope of beating OKC. Which is why I was leary of breaking them up even if it was for Rondo. And why more than any aquisition what happens with the guys we have may be the most telling. Of course we could always use a great three point shooter.

treeman is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
treeman
treeman is James Harden -- racking up the pointstreeman is James Harden -- racking up the pointstreeman is James Harden -- racking up the pointstreeman is James Harden -- racking up the pointstreeman is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Nov 1999
Member: #998
Thanks for this. I completely forgot about the room MLE... It's like the $50 you forgot you had in your wallet when you're looking through your pockets for a few bucks to buy that last beer

NewAge is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
NewAge
NewAge is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Aug 2013
Member: #56256
Hmmmm. Doubtful. Don't most buyouts have an offset, so it would not matter to the player?

justtxyank is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
justtxyank
Contributing Member
justtxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2005
Member: #16238
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballholic View Post
According to Deeks, not only do the Rox have the Room MLE but this list of possible playoff contenders also have some portion of an exception:

Memphis - $4.615 million left of non-taxpayer MLE
Memphis - $2.016 million Bi-Annual Exception
Miami - $3.183 million Taxpayer MLE
OKC - $5.150 million entire MLE
OKC _ $2.016 million Bi-Annual Exception
Indiana - $2.150 million of MLE
Atlanta - $5.250 million disabled player exception
Brooklyn - $5.250 million disabled player exception
PHoenix - $2.652 million Room MLE
Toronto - $2.016 Bi-Annual Exception

(I did not confirm if these are up to date.)

My concern is when some of these vets come free, they're going to have some choices besides just us. I'd love to see a buyout of Granger and him sign here but....there will likely be competition for his services.
Did not realize Miami and okc both still had more than we did. If those teams are actually willing to pay someone, they are obviously stronger options.

AvgJoe is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
AvgJoe
Contributing Member
AvgJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineAvgJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineAvgJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39870
Another round begins...

iconoclastic is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
iconoclastic
iconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26097
I see what you did in the title.

OlajuwonFan81 is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
OlajuwonFan81
OlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34755
Good point....MLE could be key coming up here this week. I don't think Morey is done.

I trade 4 or sign Dwight Howard all day. Everyday.

Pete the Cheat is offline Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
Pete the Cheat
Pete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18897
It HAD to be OKC....still like our chances though

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both

I haven't died. Right now I'm drinking a beer and eating fried chicken

mikeyharris is offline Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
mikeyharris
mikeyharris is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #34000
Who are buyout candidates?
Jason Terry
Danny Granger
Glen Davis
Roger Mason
Caron Butler
Ben Gordon

Carl Herrera is offline Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Thanks for the explanation on the cap proration. Good tool to have but I guess it depends on the player's personal priorities. In particular, I wonder how many minutes this team has to offer each of the potentially bought out players.

Will any of the bigs get minutes from Howard, Asik, Jones and DMo? Will any bought out PG get minutes from Beverley and Lin? An SF/SG type probably has most potential opening for minutes but they still gotta beat out Garcia, Lin (he plays some 2s) and maybe Hamilton or Casspi for backup 2/3 minutes.

I have no doubt that Morey would pay the right guy even just to be insurance (he did with AB last season) but guys might gravitate more toward teams with more potential minutes.

verysimplejason is offline Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
verysimplejason
verysimplejason is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2013
Member: #54937
I'd like Terry for 6th man role... He's a bulk scorer from the bench. At least it's not all JLIN anymore.

shastarocket is online now Old 02-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #17
shastarocket
Contributing Member
shastarocket is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchshastarocket is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchshastarocket is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchshastarocket is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchshastarocket is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchshastarocket is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchshastarocket is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchshastarocket is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19563
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysimplejason View Post
I'd like Terry for 6th man role... He's a bulk scorer from the bench. At least it's not all JLIN anymore.
He's not the same guy

Men do not quarrel for light but they quarrel over cattle

Zergling is offline Old 02-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #18
Zergling
Zergling is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodZergling is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2010
Member: #46691
It has to be a true SF to backup Parsons. I would hate to see another PF brought in to stunt TJones/DMo's development.

I still don't think we're ready to contend for a title this year. We need to develop our young talent and hope they can attract a team like Minny so we can snag Kevin Love.

But having them rot on the bench because Glen Davis stole their minutes would be terrible.

Kerdaboy is offline Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #19
Kerdaboy
Kerdaboy is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #34118
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot options or soon to be available option to use the exception on though. Seems like a reasonable need we have is to get some better 3 pt shooting (I believe we are like 1 or 2 in attempts but something like 20th in %).

If Granger or Terry get become available, both are on the decline and have been terrible this year.

bilaal14 is offline Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #20
bilaal14
bilaal14 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #34154
Would love Granger in a Rockets uniform taking the place of Casspi, and being the wing off the bench with garcia.