1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets could be 2nd in the West and 1st in the SW division by Thursday...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Spurs play @ LA Clippers tomorrow. If the Clippers win, Rockets are only 1.5 games behind the Spurs, and still have a better win percentage than the Clippers.

Then Spurs play @ Portland the very next day. If Portland wins (and Houston wins), the Rockets and the Spurs will now only be 0.5 games ahead of the Rockets. The Rockets will need one more win to have a tied record with the Spurs. Rockets have beat the Spurs more times this season, and so they will win the tie-breaker.

Thursday: Rockets @ Warriors.

If the Rockets beat the Warriors Thursday, they are 2nd in the West and 1st in the Southwest Division.

It will be tough, but very possible as the Rockets have done well against the Warriors recently.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The Rockets also play the Lakers at LA, I hate looking ahead like this because you never know and no matter how bad those guys are they usually play us well. I wouldn't be so quick to prognosticate the future.

Take it one game at a time. Plus none of this matters till we reach the closing stretch of the season not the week after the All-Star break.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why would it matter if we were 2nd in the middle of February?

4. bmd

bmd Member

Well of course it doesn't really matter if the Rockets are 2nd at this point in the season.

But the reason I mention it is because it's very possible.

We talked about this kind of stuff before the Rockets were 3rd in the West. We were talking about what needed to happen for the Rockets to take 3rd. And it happened.

5. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I don't pay attention to the standings this early. It's too much of a emotional rollercoaster. I'd rather see our bench players like AB step up in these games though

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They could also be in the middle of a losing streak with a roster decimated and demoralized by a stupid trade. Shut up already about good things that have not happened.

Stop trying to make standing projections happen!

7. bmd

bmd Member

Is it bad to want to be 1st in the division and 2nd in the West?

Who cares if it's February? We're in getting into the home-stretch of the season.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is a reasonable topic certainly, especially given some of these recent trade rumor threads.

9. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

We could also be 5th in the west by Thursday. It's a tight race, any misstep could mean dropping 2-3 seeds and potentially facing an opponent that could oust in the first round.

10. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Definitely possible but I highly doubt it. Rockets aren't particularly good on the road and they'll have a rough stretch of games in a short time. I'll be happy if they can maintain the 5th seed during this stretch.

Also important to note, the trade deadline could change everything.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rockets could be the western conference champions if we beat all the teams in the west in da playoffs

12. bmd

bmd Member

So is it better for the Spurs to beat both the Clippers and Blazers?

That way they would create a little cushion for the Rockets (assuming the Rockets win their 2 games), and they'll still be 2 games behind the Spurs.

13. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Also worth noting, the Rockets' magic number over the Kings and Lakers is 12.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Prophylactically sit Harden in preparation for his inevitable mammoth hangover tomorrow night?

Just sayin. We beat LA 90% of the time with James out there. 95% of the time without him.

15. bongman

bongman Member

I think folks are being cautious in a conference that is so tightly contested. I remember in 2008 (22 game winning streak) that we eventually got the first seed one week before regular season end. One day later, we were in 5th seed after only losing one game.

16. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I just didn't want to finish second. That means we would play OKC in the second round. I rather play OKC for the conference final.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

What??? I think you should google the topic before you espouse on it.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

would be nice to get that 2nd seed and hold onto it for the rest of the season. Shucks we might even catch OKC and get home court just like Morey dreamed.

Lets Go Rockets!!!!

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

if LAC beats Spurs it would be a .679 percentage for Houston vs a .6785 percentage for the Clippers.

I'm pretty sure the standings would show the Clippers ahead of Houston for that crucial morning in mid February standings.

20. bmd

bmd Member

They wouldn't play OKC in the second round.

They'd play the winner of #3 vs. #6. OKC would play the winner of #4 vs. #5.

So if the standings stayed like they are right now except with Houston at #2 and Spurs at #3, and all of the higher seeds in their first round games, it would be:

First Round: Rockets vs. Suns

Second Round: Rockets vs. Spurs

Western Conference Championship: Rockets vs. OKC