1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] 5 Trades that Should Happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Portland Trail Blazers receive: Omer Asik, Omri Casspi and Donatas Motiejunas

Houston Rockets receive: Wesley Matthews and Meyers Leonard

View this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine

Why I want to see it: This helps both Western Conference powerhouses address their weaknesses without sacrificing too much of their strengths.

Word is the Blazers aren't bullish on Asik and they'd hate to mess with the on-court chemistry of their starting lineup, but they're kidding themselves if they think they can challenge for the West title without an upgrade on the defensive end. They rank 23rd on defense this season and 26th since the New Year. When healthy, Asik is one of the top five rim protectors in the NBA, and he'd beef up a frontcourt that just lost Joel Freeland for at least a month with an MCL sprain. They need help.

The Blazers would hate to lose Matthews, but this is a golden buy-low, sell-high opportunity for an unbalanced squad. Though Matthews has been instrumental to their relentless offense, such a deal wouldn't remove the franchise pillars of Damian Lillard, Nic Batum and LaMarcus Aldridge. Rookie C.J. McCollum has recently looked fantastic after missing the beginning of the season due to a foot injury and would help fill the void along with Dorell Wright. Plus, no owner is better equipped to take on the $15 million that Asik is owed next season than billionaire Paul Allen.

The Rockets would net the sweet-shooting Matthews, who is also a physical perimeter defender -- an area that has been Houston's Achilles' heel this season. He's had somewhat of a down year defensively (Synergy rates him as well below average thus far), but he's typically been better on that end of the floor. As a veteran 3-point marksman with defensive chops, he'd fit in nicely for the Rockets' big push.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...mer-asik-trail-blazers-five-intriguing-trades

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

Before some people clamor over this trade, you should take the time to think about just how bad Meyers Leonard has been as a pro. Hopefully then, you will realize that we once again get shafted by TMZ…er… ESPN.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Will do this trade Sans-DMO

4. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

no thank you

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Hell no to this trade.. Maybe more like Asik for Mathews/Batum and Lopez..

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This.

Leonard is a project and we're in "win now" mode.

This move essentially trades 3 rotation players for 1.

1 person likes this.
  7. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Lol sure we would make that trade. Meyers plays like shyt. So we get Matthews for Omer Asik and Casspi AND DMO? Oh and at the same time we make Portland a contender in the process so they could knock us out in the playoffs.

8. jedicro

jedicro Member

Does anyone really think Morey is going to be on the wrong side of a buy low/sell high trade?

Really?

1 person likes this.
  9. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I guess I would consider that, but I would probably ask for a draft pick too

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL

Morey isn't going to give the Blazers a potential Dwight-stopper when Rockets/Blazers could very well be our first round series.

ESPN gotta get dem hits tho

11. Raven

Raven Member

Article should be retitled - how we'd screw the Rockets if we could.

12. Little General

Please change the title to "How Tom Haberstroh like to see five trades happen".

13. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Haha I remember when people were saying that we should draft Meyers in that draft. I was called out for saying he was going to be a flop and using a pick on him would be dumb.

My sig has not changed since that draft.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Matthews + Lopez for Asik + DMo + Casspi

Seems more legit. But I don't know if I'd be in love with it.

15. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Meyers Leeonard isn't very good, this is coming from a fellow Illini

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

Mathews, Batum and Lopez for Asik?

Only if they included Aldridge as well. And Lillard. And the Portland fans.

17. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

With this trade, the Blazers would be better than the Rockets.

18. Houston288South

The Blazers would definitely win this trade...

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

No way. Dmo should not be included. Regardless of Asik playing like **** we know the type of player he is. If the Rockets offered Casspi/Asik for Matthews/Lopez the Blazers would be dumb not to take that. They can find another Matthews type player in free agency. Good luck finding an Asik next season. Lopez is serviceable good player right now but Asik would make them very dangerous in the playoffs.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I would prefer the deal that he proposes with the Sixers... still want Thad Young.