1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Some Crown Paul George Too Soon?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Feb 12, 2014.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Paul George is coming back down to Earth recently in a big way after the extremely hot start. Now I like George and all and I believe he is a very good player, but I think he got overrated really quickly after a strong playoff showing against Miami and a hot start to the season. There was serious talk here about him being the true heir to Jordan's crown over guys like Kobe and Lebron. He has had a very bad 10 game stretch where he has shot over 50% only once. Last 10 games...

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4251/paul-george

4-17
    4-10
    10-19
    5-23
    6-16
    5-12
    7-19
    5-17
    4-21
    6-18

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

The hype was big but I definitely don't recall anyone saying he was going to be the next Jordan.

Most people were saying he passed Melo and maybe a few tired to bring up a comparison with KD.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

People said he was better than LeBron? I never heard or read that. I just heard he was a top 5 player this year.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He has passed Melo. But the KD comparison was getting out of hand. But this is his first year as a superstar, so this is expected. He'll bounce back. He's legit.

5. NotChandlerParsons

I think he improved a lot this season in an impressive way and is certainly deserving of his all star spot, but he's not better than LeBron, Durant, or worthy of winning an MVP or any of the other stuff people were saying during his hot start.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Ronny was all over his nutz

7. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I heard clearly #3 a lot around here.

He is very good, but he is playing a lot of minutes and it is hard to play both ends hard for a lot of minutes. It's the reason why it takes a few years to develop into champions because you have to know how to manage your body throughout the year. Along with choking a bit, that was Lebron's biggest problem in the finals, he had to play TOO hard up till the finals and he just wore down.

Popovich is a genius coach at managing this, I think Pacers should follow this kind of style, they are a LOCK for a top 2 seed, let George explode come playoff time, and rest a few regular season games (DNP - old, style)

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone was impressed by his hot start and most of the board thought he was easily better than Harden.

Not so much.

9. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

He's probably worn out. He'll be good again after the ASB.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He's not a superstar. Some of you need to gtfo with that term.

3 superstars in this league, Durant, Lebron, and CP3.

It was hilarious some people thought he was better than Durant or even in the samve convo.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Don't look at just his last 10 games.

He has been terrible since January. In fact he started struggling about a week or two before January.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I still think he's the 3rd best perimeter player after LBJ and KD even with the slump.

Harden's been more consistent offensively but PG brings it at both ends of the court, I mean sure Harden gave us the game winner but his man Trevor Ariza had a career night, that BS wouldn't happen if we had Paul George:

1) Lebron
    2) Kevin Durant
    3) PG
    4) Harden

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think the real question is have some here put PG in the grave too soon.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

exactly.

As you put it before : "Definition of regression to the mean."

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I remember some clown here saying hte Pacers had a legitimate shot at 70 wins back in November - sure, if they go 30-0 the rest of the way, they do.

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

There was definitely a thread saying George was going to be the Jordan, how crazy that sounds.

George is a great player and still an elite defender but he isn't as good as he was said to be. He could be pretty soon, but he isn't there yet with his offensive or consistency. I still love his game though. He reminds me of a young, more defensive oriented McGrady without the the natural passing and lesser scoring ability.

A lot of people around the league had him as the third best player in the league after Lebron and Durant but I still think he is in Harden's range of 4-7. I think his regression is him going to the means rather than a slump.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

he has some way to go in his decision making..

the other night at the end of the game he decided to try and go left to shoot an off balance jumper in the middle of 2 defenders which got blocked while there was a man open on the right wing.. i think his awareness will go up with experience

18. NotChandlerParsons

This is true, he's been trending downward the entire season. Will be interesting to see if he recovers efficiency wise. He's scored so much that he will probably end up >20 on the season.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

C'mon, be charitable and give the NBA 10 at least:

Lebron
    Durant
    Paul
    Harden
    Carmelo
    Love
    George
    Dwight
    Curry
    Nowitzki
    Wade
    Westbrook
    Griffin

With Derrick Rose waiting til next year.

FYI I judge a superstar the same way the NBA does: whoever is getting all the calls.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lot of people had him as a top 5 player