1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the Rockets broadcast team among the other local broadcasts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Feb 11, 2014.

1. BonziWellsGOAT

I got this idea from durvasa. He mentioned it on another thread when I posted about how I thought the T'Wolves broadcast was really good especially Jim Peterson. They were objective(as much as a local broadcast can be.) professional and Jim Petersen gave top notch analysis on the game.

I'm gonna break down the Rockets broadcast team by each person, the homerism and the overall product.

Bill Worrell: Big fan of Bill....can be a homer but to me he is one of the more unique play by play guys out there. He doesnt sound like every other generic play by play guy out there even if his nicknames do suck...c'mon its Bill,I grew up on him calling games.

Clyde Drexler: Im much less enthusiastic about Clyde. Sure his dumb quips, one liners, and overused phrases are funny from time to time but it wears thin by the end of the game. He's not absolutely terrible but a number of people could be better (Read: Calvin Murphy)

Matt Bullard: Bull is great imo beacuse he knows how to break down plays really well and tells it like it is which I appreciate. Away Games when its him and Bill are much better and devoid of the awkwardness that is Clyde. He would be a good full time color guy as well.

Homerism: Varys from game to game. Overall though I think that they give the opposing team their fair share of credit which is nice even though I obviously root for the Rockets. I appreciate a certain level of homerism but not over the top (Sean Elliott: Spurs and David Wesley: Pelicns).

Verdict: I havent listened to all the local broadcasts around the league but I would put the Rockets broadcast in the top 10. Probably 7 or 8.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Time to go
    Offers nothing
    OK
    Cut it down
    Can't compare/rank

3. BonziWellsGOAT

Ahem your post offers nothing.

Good try though.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Having league pass I have to say Bill, Clyde and Bull are mediocre compared to the East and West coast broadcasting teams.

1)Knicks
    2)Nets
    3)Clippers
    4)Lakers
    5)Miami

Are my top 5. This Rockets crew is on par with Sacramento and Boston.

5. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah but is it the knicks or the nets that have Mike Breen....I dont count that lol he does national broadcasts

6. rocketseagles07

I actually think bill is less of a homer than people say. He talks about the bad things the rockets do a lot. I do think it might be time for him to go though because sometimes I think he's lost. He's late on calls or says the wrong call. He calls players by the wrong name and sometimes doesn't even recognize what player did what. It's been pretty bad this year, he's still my fav broadcaster though

7. REEKO_HTOWN

Bill is stuck in the 80's and 90's and so is Clyde when nonsense starts driveling out of his face whole. They don't understand how the game is played now and just b**** about It like old men, it's tiresome. At least Calvin has some knowledge about what's going on on the floor.

1 person likes this.
  8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

that's why Knicks & Nets are #1 and #2, they offer national level broadcasting at the local level.

the Nets crew is basically the NBAtv staff- Ian Eagle, Greg Anthony & Mike Fratello

9. dragician

dragician Member

We don't even have local CSN, how can we compare it with other local broadcast...

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Clyde is among the worst

Bull is among the best

Bill is starting to lose it, average at best now (and that is me being a homer)

11. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

I think this is pretty close to where I stand.

Awful

Offensive

Good guy

Their homerism really varies from player to player. I think much of it depends on the direction they're getting from upstairs, e.g., who they want to promote to Rockets fans, who they want to downgrade to Rockets fans, and who they want to sell to opposing team scouts and GMs.

Watching games online and listening to different broadcasters, they're close to the worst in the league. If it's the job of broadcasters to be propaganda machines, they're close to the best in the league.

12. jrett121

jrett121 Member

Clyde is the absolute worst. He brings Bill down in a big way, and is also condescending with his "Ya think?!" that he says whenever he doesn't know how to respond to Bill/Bull's point. Clyde is unlistenable and I find it embarrassing when a Rockets home game is on NBAtv for a national audience. Bull offers some good analysis.

Let Clyde be an ambassador for the team, but he has no business in the booth.

13. bmd

bmd Member

I really like all 3 of them. They can be kind of corny at times, but that kind of humor is perfectly fine with me.

But I can't compare to others because I'm biased.

I also don't care that they are homers. The local announcers are supposed to be homers.. or at least it's not in bad taste to be a homer when you are doing a Rockets broadcast. It's a Rockets broadcast... not a neutral broadcast.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Aww, not good enough for Bonzi. What am I gonna do now? :(

15. REEKO_HTOWN

You can't unless you watch nba games outside of Houston just like some people can't compare cities from all over the world. You have to pay for that privilege sometimes. I've paid for league pass for 5 years now.

Btw the broadcast team in NOLA is the worst by far. David Wesley and Joel Meyers

16. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

They're interesting once and a while, but I'm not that big of a fan. All they do is talk about how back in the day bball was different. WE GET IT.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Aren't all Knicks games broadcasted nationally? It seems like it sometimes.

18. rocketseagles07

I agree w/ that when it comes to clyde. I also think clydes scouting/opinions on rookies/younger players is terrible.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I agree with Reeko.

20. NotChandlerParsons

I can't really think of any local broadcast teams that I like. There's just guys that are inoffensive, and then terrible homers.

I will say this for our announcers although they are massive homers they don't insult or put down the other team's players. That stuff drives me insane. Nuggets, Clippers announcers are probably the absolute worst.