1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Courtney Lee is better than Vernon Maxwell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You heard me. Why is this relevant? Because our GM said this team doesn't have a "third best player on a championship team". Well this city has two championships, and for one of them, Vernon Maxwell was probably our third best player.

Unless my information is incorrect, we could have had Courtney Lee AND Brandon Bass in return for Omer Asik a little while back. Since we currently don't have, in the words of our GM, a player good enough to be a "third best player on a championship team", and Courtney Lee was available, a guy who is better than Vernon Maxwell ever was, I'm a little confused as to why we didn't pull the trigger on this deal. If Omer Asik isn't good enough to be the "third best player on a championship team", why not trade him for Courtney Lee, who clearly is? Wouldn't that put us in the driver's seat?

1 person likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its a stupid notion I have repeated in the other threads all day. You need a SOLID supporting cast. The idea that picking up a 3rd star is going to give you wins is stupid. Parsons is more than capable than fulfilling what this team needs, their lack of offensive strategy and bench is so glaring that you could put a 3rd star on here and it wouldn't matter.

You made the same post in the other thread and I noticed you haven't been as vocal about it for sometime but keep posting man. Preach the truth.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

Morey is hoping that a third star would result in quality role players taking paycuts to play in Houston. It worked for Miami. If we took that Boston deal we wouldn't have the cap room to be able to swing for the fences and go after Love or Aldridge, and I'd rather have Aldridge or Love over Bass and Lee.

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Hahaha Lee is NOT better than maxwell. You must not have been around for the early years

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lebron James takes all the other variables out of the equation. He will finish as one of the top 3 GOATs when all is said and done.

1 person likes this.
  6. Play07

Play07 Member

We were getting a first round pick with bass & lee, lee's contract ran through 2016 but he would've been solid and easy to moved if morey needed to. If he needed to he coukd have through in the first round pick he was getting from Boston.

All this talk about lma & love is cool but Howard will have only one more yr on his contract at that point, we can't waste 2 years waiting for them, Howard is not getting any younger.

1 person likes this.
  7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Hi TheFreak,

Long time reader, part time debater here.

The problem with your assumption is Hakeem Olajuwon -- we don't have anyone on our roster that comes anything close to what he brought.

Mad Max worked on one team for one year with one of the greatest centers to ever play the game. Courtney Lee isn't making a James Harden/Dwight team into a contender.

I also don't agree that Lee is better than Maxwell, but I have fond, bias memories of those 90s teams.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

To follow your analogy there, in that it requires a good supporting cast no matter how they rank in the "star" meter...

With MARIO ELIE, what was very underrated with Elie is besides his toughness and D, the guy could just make shots through the basket. Mario Elie would be a "Daryl Morey" type player, very efficient and versatile with intangibles. Is that type of player enough to offset what a "3rd star" could bring? Not really but he'd give you a fighting chance

(About '94:
    Maxwell was the 3rd most TALENTED player,
    but maybe the 5-6th most EFFECTIVE player.
    Shot missing chucker to the "max"

It wasnt any coincidence that once Maxwell was replaced and Mario Elie got more shots who actually could put the ball through the rim that the Rockets won another title without him. I don't want to say Rox won in '94 in SPITE of Maxwell, but his frequent shot missing was replaceable.)

9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Top 3?? Lol top 10 at the absolute most.

10. TheFreak

What worked for Miami was having LBJ. Let's be clear about that.

11. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

If we plan on keeping Mchale we need a third star to overcome him.

1 person likes this.
  12. TheFreak

I agree with you on Hakeem. However, our GM said we don't have a good enough 3rd best player. Maybe what he should have said was that we don't have a good enough 1st or 2nd best player?

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

LOL. We need a playmaker pg. Somebody that won't listen a lick to what Mchale has to say. Rondo

14. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

Let's not forget Vernon was also our parameter defensive stopper, clutch shooter and brought heart to the team. In fact the clutch city name came after his monster game/clutch performance against Phoenix that saved us from being down 0-3 in the series.

15. Rickem

Rickem Member

3rd best....Who else was better than Maxwell in 1994?
    Kenny, OT, Robert Horry?

I think you're confusing that year with the next when Drexler came in. ... but then that wouldn't be relevant either since Max quit after game 1 of the playoffs.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

BLASPHEMY!

jus sayin...

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thought max was number 2 over OT in the championship year

18. Jimmy Chitwood

I had decided I was done with Clutchfans because too many people here don't know what they're talking about, but then I decided to give it another chance.

Then I read this OP.

Like, is this real? Do people actually think this? Is this a thing?

19. prs325

prs325 Member

Jordan would eat Courtney Lee alive

20. psingh34

psingh34 Member

93-94 rockets did not have one player who could be classified as second and third best player... it was hakeem and who ever was hot that day as the second person.. when max was on he was the second best player .. otherwise it was OT or sam or even horry/kenny

so since that analysis is wrong, I will go ahead and assume the rest of what you say is incorrect too .. i.e. Rockets turned down a deal of lee and bass for asik

1 person likes this.