1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Mistake

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

So in the season ticket holders meeting yesterday Morey said that drafting Royce White and trading a first for Terrence Williams were his worst mistakes. I found this this to be interesting because as a self proclaimed Mof ;) I love Morey and think he is greatest Gm ever IMHO. However because he has made so many transaction he has made many mistakes. So my question to you is what are Morey's greatest mistakes? Was it Royce White or Terrence Williams? or maybe the signing of Ariza? or maybe let not giving Goran Dragic a player option? or maybe signing Scola to 5 year contract? or Maybe his coaching hires? or releasing Lin? or the posion pill contracts? or Nicolas Batum? not drafting Khawi Leonard or Larry sanders?

1 person likes this.
  2. Raven

Raven Member

Royce White.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Royce, Twill, Ariza, not signing Dragic even though he wante dthe 4th yr option, Drafting multiple 14th picks and scrambling them for eggs.

4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Dwight is starting to piss me off, run the PnR.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

giving Garcia a player option.

6. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Nothing too earth shattering because he has made that comment before. I'd go with Royce for sure but not so much because of what it cost us (opportunity cost of that pick) to select him but ultimately what it cost us to get rid of him (Furkan plus like a net of 2 picks). The total cost of that episode was massive. It is a huge credit to how he manages the cap and "asset" situation that we could weather that and not have a huge hangover this year and into the future.

7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Not trading Asik when he asked to be traded.

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

letting go of t-mac.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Losing at pin pong

10. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

And what I mean by the asset situation is that he creates value from thin air, for example by trading players in their last half season before becoming free agents (see: Battier, Shane) for second rounders or signing players to extra unguaranteed years (thus making valuable to trade to teams who need to dump a contract). These shrewd moves are still not common despite coming at very little cost to the team while delivering value at the margins. Make a quarter enough times and you have a dollar.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Goran Dragic.

12. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Definitely not signing Gogi.

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

not trading Howard will be his biggest mistake.

14. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Drafting Joey Dorsey ahead of Deandre Jordan...

1 person likes this.
  15. Zergling

Zergling Member

I can't blame Morey for letting go of Dragic since his goal was to get Dwight AND CP3. He was very close by the way.

16. TheRealAllpro

yep I forgot about that one... that was huge

17. TheRealAllpro

I wonder if we already had Howard if we would have signed Goran? losing Goran for NOTHING hurts so bad

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Lol

I was about to write a similar thread, on what I think his biggest mistake was this season. I'll keep it pretty simple. Its letting Anderson go and leaving us with Garcia or even Casspi. IMO Anderson was underrated and is a much better player than both Cas or Garcia. He plays very good defense, is athletic, good three point shooter and would have been much more help if he stayed.

19. rogower

rogower Member

All 30 teams missed on DeAndre Jordan, for all intents and purposes. The dude was a second round pick!

Also, why would anybody give anybody grief for not finding a good player at #16 overall, which is where Royce White was drafted? Go to nbadraft.net and click on the draft history link. I guarantee you that over half of the past 20 #16 overall picks were not any good.

If your worst moves are missing on a #16 overall pick and letting an All-Star-caliber C fall into the second round, you are doing a great job.

Keep in mind that Morey grabbed Terrence Jones at #18 overall, two picks after drafting White. Jones was clearly a brilliant pick, so I'd say he redeemed himself.

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Hiring a coach so he can pull the strings from the background.

1 person likes this.