ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] The Rockets, in need of roster spots, are on the clock with Ronnie Brewer
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston rockets, nba, ronnie brewer, roster Tags
Clutch is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5933/r...ronnie-brewer/

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
Voice of Aus is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Voice of Aus
Contributing Member
Voice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2013
Member: #55834
I wanna be optimistic in hoping we can trade brewer, but I'm just not confident at all his contract can net us anything useful, barring some crappy 2nd rounder with huge protection.

I would love to say package him in a multi team deal with omer but why bother even thinking that.

Recent Thread - Statistical Analysis on Ariza vs Parsons contracts

Z-Ro&Trae is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Z-Ro&Trae
Z-Ro&Trae is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43495
why did the rockets even signed that guy if they weren't going to use him? he was solid in utah and chicago.

tallanvor is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
tallanvor
Contributing Member
tallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Ro&Trae View Post
why did the rockets even signed that guy if they weren't going to use him? he was solid in utah and chicago.
same reason every team has players at the end of the bench; in case someone gets injured. No team is running a 13 man rotation.

finsraider is online now Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
finsraider
finsraider is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finefinsraider is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finefinsraider is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Ro&Trae View Post
Perhaps for:

a) a moment like this
b) the chance that he looks like the player he once was

Either way, it was a tiny investment with very little downside.

dobro1229 is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 22m
Since I'm getting asked again, will repeat tweet that Rockets will not waive Brewer by deadline, guaranteeing contract for rest of season.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 10m
Word for most teams with 11, 12 man rotations -- bad. RT @venramamurthy: Why don't they atleast play him, then? This team is so frustrating.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 9m
Don't have better use now for roster spot, not looking to cut costs. RT @solidz75: @Jonathan_Feigen can you explain to is what this implies?

arjun is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
arjun
arjun is Omer Asik -- working the boardsarjun is Omer Asik -- working the boardsarjun is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: May 2006
Member: #17957
Great point clutch, this is an excellent opportunity for the Rockets to solidify our bench.

Dunleavy would be great, there are many other options out there as well.

Bogeyfree is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Bogeyfree
Bogeyfree is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2013
Member: #56172

Stone Cold Hakeem is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Stone Cold Hakeem
Contributing Member
Stone Cold Hakeem is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodStone Cold Hakeem is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #919
I like the Dunleavy idea a lot. A solid 3 point threat that could soak up some of Cisco's minutes. Hasn't he been injured this season, though?

dobro1229 is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro1229 View Post
Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 22m
Since I'm getting asked again, will repeat tweet that Rockets will not waive Brewer by deadline, guaranteeing contract for rest of season.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 10m
Word for most teams with 11, 12 man rotations -- bad. RT @venramamurthy: Why don't they atleast play him, then? This team is so frustrating.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 9m
Don't have better use now for roster spot, not looking to cut costs. RT @solidz75: @Jonathan_Feigen can you explain to is what this implies?

While I dont doubt Feigen has been told by someone with the Rockets that they are NOT waiving or trading Brewer today, I do think that Feigen is either being negligent or simply misleading Rockets fans with these tweets.

The fact is Brewer doesn't play on this Rockets team, and currently serves no basketball purpose..... and yes they do have better uses for that roster spot right now. Even if McHale played an 11 or 12 man rotation, I doubt Brewer would still serve any purpose for this team. Thats a fact, and Feigen trying to be cute with fans for not thinking otherwise is sort of annoying.

However, the fact that he (apparently) isn't going to be waived or traded tells me one thing if you can read between the lines here that Feigen isn't telling fans.... The Rockets obviously feel like they need Brewers FULL salary (1.2 mil roughly) as a filler for another larger & most likely more important trade closer to the deadline.

That is the reason most likely that either Brewer isn't being waived to sign a prospect like Troy Daniels, or isn't being traded today in a deal for an upgrade like a Mike Dunleavey Jr. deal that Clutch referred to in his post.

Last edited by dobro1229; 01-07-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Play07 is online now Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Play07
Play07 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPlay07 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPlay07 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Aug 2013
Member: #56270
Good read

dunleavy is the 3rd player I have mentioned on CF that I would have signed 2013 off season, would have gave him our "mid level ext." he fits our system from like a glove & he moves without the ball, "the real delfino replacement" interesting to see his name being mentioned in this writing... I may need to start testing my GM skills, Morey I'm ready !

mikeyharris is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
mikeyharris
mikeyharris is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34000
Just because we're not waiving him, doesn't mean we're not trading him. Still an expiring.

Raven is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Somethings gotta give.

Angkor Wat is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2007
Member: #24006
I would like Kaman off the bench

BimaThug is offline Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro1229 View Post
While I dont doubt Feigen has been told by someone with the Rockets that they are NOT waiving or trading Brewer today, I do think that Feigen is either being negligent or simply misleading Rockets fans with these tweets.

The fact is Brewer doesn't play on this Rockets team, and currently serves no basketball purpose..... and yes they do have better uses for that roster spot right now. Even if McHale played an 11 or 12 man rotation, I doubt Brewer would still serve any purpose for this team. Thats a fact, and Feigen trying to be cute with fans for not thinking otherwise is sort of annoying.

However, the fact that he (apparently) isn't going to be waived or traded tells me one thing if you can read between the lines here that Feigen isn't telling fans.... The Rockets obviously feel like they need Brewers FULL salary (1.2 mil roughly) as a filler for another larger & most likely more important trade closer to the deadline.

That is the reason most likely that either Brewer isn't being waived to sign a prospect like Troy Daniels, or isn't being traded today in a deal for an upgrade like a Mike Dunleavey Jr. deal that Clutch referred to in his post.
FWIW, Feigen did not say that the Rockets weren't going to TRADE Brewer by today. I seriously doubt that the Rockets would tell any reporter about a trade before it was sure to go down. Still, I, too, do not doubt that Feigen got reliable information that the Rockets will not waive Brewer themselves today.

I also completely agree about the Rockets likely viewing the merits of Brewer as salary filler in a trade by the February deadline as outweighing the need to open a roster spot for another player (Daniels?) who likely would never see the light of day in the Rockets' rotation.

Also, as Feigen mentions, the Rockets simply have little/no financial reason to need to avoid Brewer's guarantee. We're talking about ~$700k in additional salary. While this is nothing to sneeze at (I credit Les Alexander for being willing to spend the money), it's not like the Rockets have luxury tax concerns that could haunt them in future seasons or anything.

Brewer still has some on-court value as a situational defender. Replacing him with a guy like Daniels would only reduce team salary by a couple hundred thousand dollars, while potentially weakening (ever-so-slightly) the team in the playoffs. Not to say that a guy like Daniels isn't a better longer-term play. Just that Brewer has his own advantages for this season.

Still, that whole salary filler for another trade thing is probably the biggest reason to keep him around.

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

AvgJoe is offline Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
AvgJoe
Contributing Member
AvgJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineAvgJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineAvgJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39870
We signed Brewer to show that we do care about defense on this team.

We don't play him because we actually don't care about defense.

b2bizchina is offline Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
b2bizchina
b2bizchina is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play07 View Post
Good read

dunleavy is the 3rd player I have mentioned on CF that I would have signed 2013 off season, would have gave him our "mid level ext." he fits our system from like a glove & he moves without the ball, "the real delfino replacement" interesting to see his name being mentioned in this writing... I may need to start testing my GM skills, Morey I'm ready !
If we can get Dunleavy,it will be great! But I don't think Chicago will give up him.
Dunleavy played very bad in the beginning of season, but was playing vey good recently.

b2bizchina is offline Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #18
b2bizchina
b2bizchina is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14320
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimaThug View Post
Brewer still has some on-court value as a situational defender. Replacing him with a guy like Daniels would only reduce team salary by a couple hundred thousand dollars, while potentially weakening (ever-so-slightly) the team in the playoffs.
We need a defensive sg/sf, but the guy shouldn't be Brewer
Morey should bring a 3D guy like B.Rush

Play07 is online now Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #19
Play07
Play07 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPlay07 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPlay07 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Aug 2013
Member: #56270
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bizchina View Post
We need a defensive sg/sf, but the guy shouldn't be Brewer
Morey should bring a 3D guy like B.Rush
shumpert a month ago, NY wanted him gone, not now probably

Toast is offline Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
Toast
Toast is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2001
Member: #2237
Nice article, Clutch!

I think the implication here is keeping Brewer is a sign that Asik can be moved this season (paired with Brewer's expiring contract).

But even if a trade doesn't pan out, the Rockets can still benefit from an expiring contract, so it's the safe bet.