1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets History: Dallas Mavericks at Houston Rockets (1981)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Dec 25, 2013.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Here's a game that I came across. It was the first season of existence for the Dallas Mavericks, and had no star players to speak of. The Rockets, meanwhile, would make the finals that very same season albeit with a 40-42 record. That first season, we would end up going 6-0 vs the Mavs, who finished with the worst record in the league and picked first in the draft.

This game, in particular, is one I want to put some emphasis on because we beat them by 48 points.

Fourty-Eight points.

I don't know if this is the biggest win we ever had against them or if they have beaten us by a bigger margin (I hope not), but after that bad taste that last game vs the Mavericks I felt like bringing this game up.

Only one player scored in double figures, Bill Robinzine who had 14. The Rockets were paced by the Rockets' big men of Moses Malone and Bill Willoughby with 21 apiece. Rudy T had 16, Calvin Murphy and Robert Reid had 15 each.

Rockets led by 16 after the first period and by 41 after three, 88-47 and mercifully ended in a 48 point demolishing, 116-68. Was anybody at this game? Do you hate the Mavericks as much as I do? Post away!

1 person likes this.
  2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

3. willus

willus Member

Damn that's big. Does anyone what the largest margin is that an NBA team has blew out another?

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

5. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

If anybody's curious, the biggest win in franchise history is 52 against the Nets on October 18, 1978. 139-87.

If you couldn't tell by now, I've had such an exciting winter break. :grin:

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member