ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout

[ESPN] Toni Collins
Tags:  espn, instagram Tags
SwoLy-D is offline Old 12-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #41
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
SwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Bob View Post
That it's more important for a Spanish-speaking person than someone who maybe grew up in a Yiddish-speaking household or German-speaking household or something? Or what?
OK, I'll give you a German example. "Jürgen Klinsmann" didn't change his name when he moved to coach the U.S. football team. That's staying true to his German heritage. He was already coaching and famous BEFORE moving to the U.S. He isn't now "George".

It's like Sher-Minh Chow or Connie Chung changing their name from "Sher-Minh" or "Connie" when switching from an Asian-language channel to English-language channel just to appease the "English-speaking" people. Why change it? Be Connie or be Sher-Minh ALWAYS. Don't sell out to the English-speakers just so they can 'pronounce it better.' That's BS.

Sponsored Link
JeopardE is offline Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #42
JeopardE
Contributing Member
JeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoLy-D View Post
Are y'all not reading what I'm posting? I mean, I know it makes y'all mad about what I'm arguing but... I'm not saying "why do TV people change their name?"...

Y'all seem to miss my point:
She was ALREADY in TV. She goes to English-speaking TV and changes her name. WHY? It's not like there's not any other unpronounceable Antonietta anywhere.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92yHywd90c

BEFORE that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aitLnw7ddx0 (what YouTube username is that? Unknown person now?):
Give it up, Swoly. The sensibilities of English TV listeners are not the same as Spanish speakers. There is a very, very long history of people in showbiz with foreign names who adopted a simpler sounding English stage name. It is par for the course. "Antonietta" is a mouthful for American English speakers, but it isn't for Latinos. That's just how it is. I'm an immigrant myself, so I know this too well. There is nothing wrong with it. Even people with simple English names will choose another stage name just because they think it is more memorable (e.g. Katy Hudson -> Katy Perry).

In fact, people with many-syllabled foreign names in showbiz are generally the exception to the rule (Zach Galifianakis anyone)?

What is your personal beef with this woman? Did she yell at your puppy?

JeopardE is offline Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #43
JeopardE
Contributing Member
JeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeopardE is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Quote:
OK, I'll give you a German example. "Jürgen Klinsmann" didn't change his name when he moved to coach the U.S. football team. That's staying true to his German heritage. He was already coaching and famous BEFORE moving to the U.S. He isn't now "George".

It's like Sher-Minh Chow or Connie Chung changing their name from "Sher-Minh" or "Connie" when switching from an Asian-language channel to English-language channel just to appease the "English-speaking" people. Why change it? Be Connie or be Sher-Minh ALWAYS. Don't sell out to the English-speakers just so they can 'pronounce it better.' That's BS.
Jurgen Klinsmann is not a TV journalist or actor. He's a sports coach. Why would he want to change his name?

Sher-Minh and Connie are easy to pronounce, memorable two-syllable names. Jackie Chan, on the other hand, is a lot easier to remember than "Chan Kong-sang". It's about having a brand that is easily marketable to English speakers.

B-Bob is offline Old 12-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #44
B-Bob
Contributing Member
B-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeopardE View Post

Sher-Minh and Connie are easy to pronounce, memorable two-syllable names. Jackie Chan, on the other hand, is a lot easier to remember than "Chan Kong-sang". It's about having a brand that is easily marketable to English speakers.
Yeah, I pretty much give up. He wouldn't really address a real example like all the Jewish or Polish people who changed their name and brand for their careers. I give up, which is not to say concede the point.

SwoLy-D is offline Old 12-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #45
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
SwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
The beef is that she's denying her mom-given name only because she's going to ESPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeopardE View Post
It's about having a brand that is easily marketable to English speakers.
^ I'll take your example, then. To be MORE marketable to BOTh English and Spanish speakers, how come she wasn't "Toni" at Univision?

SOLD OUT, that's why.
Quote:
Yeah, I pretty much give up. He wouldn't really address a real example like all the Jewish or Polish people who changed their name and brand for their careers. I give up, which is not to say concede the point.
It's not just changing their name AT THE BEGINNING. Had she changed it BEFORE, for Univision AND for ESPN kept the same, that would have been fine, at least in my opinion.

She changed it only after she left Univision. See my point now? It's not like you, Seņor B-Bob, can't pronounce "Antonietta." Can you? I bet you can.

bigtexxx is offline Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #46
bigtexxx
Contributing Member
bigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4585
Quote:
The beef is that she's denying her mom-given name only because she's going to ESPN.

^ I'll take your example, then. To be MORE marketable to BOTh English and Spanish speakers, how come she wasn't "Toni" at Univision?

SOLD OUT, that's why.It's not just changing their name AT THE BEGINNING. Had she changed it BEFORE, for Univision AND for ESPN kept the same, that would have been fine, at least in my opinion.

She changed it only after she left Univision. See my point now? It's not like you, Seņor B-Bob, can't pronounce "Antonietta." Can you? I bet you can.
Sorry dude she may just be embarrassed to sound too spanish-y

JeopardE is offline Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #47
JeopardE
Contributing Member
Quote:

When did Univision become a TV station for non-Spanish speakers? Did I miss the memo?

JeopardE is offline Old 12-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #48
JeopardE
Contributing Member
Speaking of Connie Chung, get a load of her real name:

Constance Yu-Hwa Chung Povich.

Sellout. Utter sellout, that woman.

Panda23 is offline Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #49
Panda23
Panda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51490
Quote:
Hold the phones a second...

Are you claiming that someone working in television would prostitute out any and all aspects of their being in order to make more money? We're talking about television?
Its not Steven Colbert. Its Steven, Colbert.

what is offline Old 12-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #50
what
what is James Harden -- racking up the pointswhat is James Harden -- racking up the pointswhat is James Harden -- racking up the pointswhat is James Harden -- racking up the pointswhat is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 2003
Member: #15560
Dang Swoly, you must really have a thing for Toni. Why would you expend such energy to a person you don't give two cents about?

I think secretly Swoly is in love with Toni Collins.

robbie380 is offline Old 12-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #51
robbie380
Contributing Member
robbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6630
Quote:
Sure, if that's the first time you see her and read her name.

Weak argument. That's NOT what her mom called her on the interview I linked. She's obviously NOT "Toni" from birth. Don't give me that junk. You don't tell me what to do, sir.
Well stop crying if you aren't going to ask her about it.

robbie380 is offline Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #52
robbie380
Contributing Member
robbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by what View Post
Dang Swoly, you must really have a thing for Toni. Why would you expend such energy to a person you don't give two cents about?

I think secretly Swoly is in love with Toni Collins.
Toni is secretly in love with SwoLy-D.

SwoLy-D is offline Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #53
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
There's no "love/hate" thing here, gents. Because her mom is such a proponent of "Hispanic" and "Latino" Women Empowerement, I thought she would be also proud to be that much "Latina" and keep the name and tell Da Man "Screw you, I'm 'Latina' and proud of it, canijo!" but she opted to sell out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexxx View Post
Sorry dude she may just be embarrassed to sound too spanish-y
Well NOW you got it.

Now if you could, please help me teach these other dudes. They seem to not get it or be stuck in the "why are you concerned with her changing her name, everyone does" thing.

EDIT: WELL, this thread made it to Google already... if you search for "sell out Toni Antonietta Collins" , haha.

robbie380 is offline Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #54
robbie380
Contributing Member
Quote:
There's no "love/hate" thing here, gents. Because her mom is such a proponent of "Hispanic" and "Latino" Women Empowerement, I thought she would be also proud to be that much "Latina" and keep the name and tell Da Man "Screw you, I'm 'Latina' and proud of it, canijo!" but she opted to sell out. Well NOW you got it.

Now if you could, please help me teach these other dudes. They seem to not get it or be stuck in the "why are you concerned with her changing her name, everyone does" thing.

EDIT: WELL, this thread made it to Google already... if you search for "sell out Toni Antonietta Collins" , haha.
We get it completely. If you really care that much just go confront her online about it. It isn't very hard to do that nowadays. Do you want me to ask her for you? Otherwise just post pictures of her.

M.G. is offline Old 12-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #55
M.G.
Contributing Member
M.G. is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodM.G. is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Apr 2013
Member: #55187
I agree with SwoLy. When my family came over from Eastern Europe, they had to shorten their last name from Schwelitzeinburgdorf to Wells. Buncha' sellouts.

Yonkers is offline Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #56
Yonkers
Contributing Member
Yonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYonkers is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5020
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post
I agree with SwoLy. When my family came over from Eastern Europe, they had to shorten their last name from Schwelitzeinburgdorf to Wells. Buncha' sellouts.
They're only sellouts if they were on Yugoslavian television using their old name.

khanhdum is offline Old 12-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #57
khanhdum
khanhdum is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finekhanhdum is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28223
holy **** this is some petty ****. who the hell cares if she changes her name, only she and her family should care.

sammy is offline Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #58
sammy
Contributing Member
sammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymitch View Post
Too much text, not enough pics of female.
This.

Yawn.

TheChosenOne is offline Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #59
TheChosenOne
Contributing Member
TheChosenOne is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineTheChosenOne is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineTheChosenOne is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2010
Member: #46709
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunted View Post
You know that Jayne Mansfield had some big breasts.
Good find sir, good find.

DFWRocket is offline Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #60
DFWRocket
DFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1348
Quote:
"Toni" changed her name from "Antonieta" to sound more "American." Bull ****.

http://www.vivelohoy.com/tag/antonietta-collins
Interesting - I know a girl who did the exact opposite for her TV career. She went from using the caucasian sounding "applewhite" to her mothers maiden name of "sandoval" to play up the latino heritage. Worked for her - she hosts her own show in Arizona.

"If you stay in this land, I will build you up and not tear you down; I will plant you and not uproot you, for I am grieved over the disaster I have inflicted on you" - Jeremiah 42:10

I think the belief that all people are entitled to certain tangible lifestyle items has created a class in debt and in indentured servitude. - Rocketman1981