ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Talking 3-Point Philosophy & Rocket Prospects w/ RGV Coach Nevada Smith
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston rockets, isaiah canaan, nba, nevada smith, philosophy, podcast, rio grande valley vipers, robert covington, troy daniels Tags
Clutch is offline Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5601/v...-nevada-smith/

This is a shorter pod (about 13 minutes) than usual. The original plan was to have the interview as the first part and then talk some Rockets, but I didn't want to combine the two after last night. We'll talk about some of the problems in the next podcast.

Smith does talk about Isaiah Canaan, Robert Covington and Troy Daniels in the podcast.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
Voice of Aus is offline Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Voice of Aus
Contributing Member
Voice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneVoice of Aus is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2013
Member: #55834
GIVING THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!!

GOOD WORK GUYS

Recent Thread - Statistical Analysis on Ariza vs Parsons contracts

LAC is offline Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
LAC
LAC is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53625
Thanks Clutch

chandlerbang21 is offline Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
chandlerbang21
chandlerbang21 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2013
Member: #55855
Rockets need to stop this 3pt obsession and get some versatile players

EnergyGuy is offline Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
EnergyGuy
Rookie
EnergyGuy is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2013
Member: #57338
Nice podcast.

Hope Canaan, Covington and Daniels continue to develop and gain confidence at the RGV and be ready when they're called on to contribute.

Clutch is offline Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang21 View Post
Rockets need to stop this 3pt obsession and get some versatile players
Not sure I understand this exactly. Two guys who attack the basket (Lin, Parsons) are out with injury.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

BimaThug is offline Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
Excellent job, Clutch! Great questions and honest answers.

You really should Sticky this thread. I think it's gotten lost among the myriad sub-par conversations on the BBS lately.

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

RoxBeliever is offline Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
RoxBeliever
RoxBeliever is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRoxBeliever is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #43769
Of course, the Vipers play against inferior opposition, but I would be interested to find out how the Vipers will respond if the 3s do not fall. Because that's what the Rockets are struggling with.

Also I don't think they have a problem with turnovers. Maybe the Rockets can learn a thing or two from them.

Joe Joe is offline Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Joe Joe
Contributing Member
Joe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: May 1999
Member: #467
Not seen the last couple of RGV games, but I am convinced that James88 wants Nevada Smith as Lin's personal shooting coach.

I would love to see the Rockets have the guys that can stretch the defense the way RGV does. Dwight might actually be able to post up or at the very least be much more effective in pick and roll game.

dobro1229 is offline Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Good interview Clutch. Thanks.

I think its safe to say that based on the syle of players that the Rockets love to find, I dont think Smith is going to have to adjust his style of play that much even though he says that he will adjust to the players he has.

One of the more interesting things he said was pointing towards Canaan & Covington's defensive awareness as key issues to work on. Said he has a tendency to gamble a little bit which is a little scary seeing as the Rockets have such a huge weakness with their guards playing such poor perimeter defense.

I wonder if that's something that the coaches & FO will wait longer on in order to bring him up, or if they will be a little more accepting than usual given the injuries the Rockets have had & their usual call ups after the trade deadline. Usually the Rockets bring up their rookies around mid-season to get NBA PT, but in this case I'm wondering if they stay down longer than usual or have a difficult time ever making it up in the first place given how and where the Rockets are struggling right now.

Last edited by dobro1229; 12-05-2013 at 03:03 PM.

StandontheLake is offline Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
StandontheLake
StandontheLake is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2013
Member: #56231
So, this guy might be one of our assistant coaches a year from now, if Sampson or Finch get a head coaching job?

He has a charismatic name.

daywalker02 is offline Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
daywalker02
daywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19255
Boys need some time but I wish we had those guys well at disposal.

The season was going to be very long. One or two rookies stepping up would be great

[CBS] It's hard to say what could really get Howard back in the good graces of the public eye other than winning. The Rockets probably have to make at least the second round this season and he needs to be the best player on the team.

NotChandlerParsons is online now Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
NotChandlerParsons
NotChandlerParsons is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodNotChandlerParsons is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52762
Great interview, thanks Clutch. One of the more interesting sports hires this year and it seems to be paying off.

jtr is offline Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
jtr
Contributing Member
jtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49860
I loved this interview Clutch. Nevada (what a great name) seems like he is a natural fit as an assistant coach for the Rockets. Just goes to show how deep Morey will search for visionary coaching talent. The Rockets roster is so stacked it may be a while before Covington and Canaan see the NBA, but that is OK. Maybe they will appear in the next 18 months as fully NBA ready players. At the rim, defense and corner threes, in that order is a ticket to the chip.

meh is offline Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxBeliever View Post
Of course, the Vipers play against inferior opposition, but I would be interested to find out how the Vipers will respond if the 3s do not fall. Because that's what the Rockets are struggling with.
I think Rockets fans overestimate the reliance of 3 pointers by the Rockets. So far this year, the Rockets are 9-2 when they shoot over 35% from 3pt line. And they're 5-5 in games shooting under that. I use 35% because it's kind of a nice "good enough" mark. League average is about 36%.

5-5 indeed is not good. But every team's record suffers when they shoot badly. This applies to teams that shoot 20 footers instead of 3s too. It's not like the Rockets are auto-loss when they shoot badly. On the flip side, the Rockets are basically unstoppable when they can shoot the 3 at simply league average efficiency.