1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hassan Whiteside

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Nov 27, 2013.

1. basketballholic

I'm still tracking this kid. I'm pretty sure somebody in the NBA is gonna sign him to a minimum salary deal and he's gonna be a steal for them for 2 or 3 years as a primary backup 5. He is still the cheap backup 5 I would prefer behind Dwight when we trade Asik.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Left Marshall weighing 225.Weighed myself today can't believe I weigh 277!! And still have abs! Getting bigger and better everyday <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23believe&amp;src=hash">#believe</a></p>&mdash; Hassan Whiteside (@youngwhiteside) <a href="https://twitter.com/youngwhiteside/statuses/397775482101714944">November 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  2. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Is he playing in D-league?

3. basketballholic

No, he's in Lebanon of all places. Don't understand that one. They must've paid him.

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I browsed around the net a bit and realized he had a short stint with Vipers. He played in Lebanon, then China and now back in Lebanon. Really weird nobody is picking him up...

5. basketballholic

I don't understand that. MVP in China. Simply overpowered those guys. He's too good to be in all these low life leagues. Like I said, they must be feeding him some good $$$ because he is making the treks. I don't understand why no NBA team has picked him up. It's almost like he's black-balled for some reason. I know that he's a huge dork. But come on now. Is he gay and hitting on guys in the locker room or something? No.

The only thing I can see is he appears to be lackadaisical when he is on-court sometimes. I think some of that is due to his combination of size and personality. He's a huge guy. Can get up and down the court in about 3 strides. And he's got this goofy disposition. But I don't see anything here that should be shutting him out of the NBA. Can't figure it out.

Watched him all season last year in dleague, at RGV and before that at Souix Falls or wherever he was. Watched all his video. He dominated the dleague when he got minutes. RGV buried him on the bench behind 2 bigs that he was better than. I assumed it was because those guys had been there longer and there was an honor system with them. But Whiteside was superior to both guys RGV had at the 5. If he had been in the games for 30 minutes, he would have averaged about 18 boards and 6 blocks down there.

I do not understand why he isn't back in the NBA.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Probably slept with the wrong girl, turned out to be someone's daughter... and now he's blacklisted.

7. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Maybe he likes the foreign life...hehe.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hey, if Ryan Hollins is on NBA roster...

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Most likely because he can't land a gig in any of the better leagues with teams that actually pay. This is pretty far down on the food chain.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

LMAO, so I went searching for Hassan Whiteside news and found this article talking about his signing earlier this month...scroll to the comments section and prepare to split your sides.

basketballholic, is that you :grin:

11. basketballholic

And that is inexplicable. Whiteside is better than AT LEAST 80% of the starting 5s in Europe. He's better than AT LEAST 90% of the starting centers in dleague. He's better than over half the backup centers in the NBA.

What has this dude done to not have an NBA contract?

12. Carl Herrera

The report says he was playing in China's NBL, which is NOT the top pro league there but rather the 2nd class league. The CBA is the actual top league in China, where guys like Marbury, Von Wafer, Yi Jianlian, Quincy Douby, etc. have played. The fact that this guy had to find a job in the 2nd class Chinese league tells you something.

13. Carl Herrera

Most likely, he sucks at basketball and you suck at evaluating basketball talent. Either that or the entire ****ing basketball universe is wrong and you are right.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Saw this guy play several times when he was with the Vipers. All the physical gifts in the world, but...unfortunately, he has no motor, less brains, & the combo makes him uncoachable. One minute he looks all-world, the next minute he's picking daisies.

Edit: actually, nothing has changed since your other Whiteside thread.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You realize what an understatement this is, right?

On the court the kid has some of the worst body language I've ever seen from a professional basketball player. Add to the fact that despite his size and physical gifts he just doesn't seem to 'get' how to play within the confines of a sophisticated, NBA-level defense, it's really not a surprise that he has yet to find a place in the league.

16. basketballholic

Well I know I don't suck at talent evaluation. Too many hits. Such as predicting J.J. Redick would be a top 10 player in his draft class when others were saying he was going to bust, predicting Steph Curry would be better than Tyreke Evans and predicting Tyreke was going to be a bust. I could go on but don't feel the need to toot my own horn.

I think you probably have seen enough of Whiteside yourself Carl...to know that he has NBA talent. He's possibly more athletic than DeAndre Jordan and has more basketball skills than DeAndre. There's something going on with him that's keeping him out of the NBA. Don't know what it is but it's not talent. He has talent in spades.

17. basketballholic

doesn't seem to get how to play within the confines of a sophisticated, NBA-level defense.

Explain to me exactly what that "sophisticated" defensive scheme is for a dude that is 7 foot and 276 lbs with a standing reach of 9'6"???????????? There is absolutely nothing sophisticated about getting his behind in the paint and defending the rim.

18. basketballholic

I'll admit he's low on brain cells. But he was playing behind a guy at RGV last year that was even lower on them. Can't remember his name right now but that dude was dumber than a box of rocks and was nowhere near as talented as Whiteside.

Yes, he can mentally wander off from time to time. But look at the backup centers in this league. Come on now, it's not like there's a bunch of Rhodes scholars in that group. I mean...Chris Andersen, Joel Anthony??? Get real.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Maybe you should ask Hasheem Thabeet.

Every defense in the NBA employs help schemes (some more aggressive than others) that require bigs to be able to rotate to contain ball penetration without over-pursuing to the point of not being able to recover and throwing their team's entire defensive alignment out of whack. This isn't college where you can just park a guy at the bottom of the paint and tell him to block everything.

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It is called rotating.

1 person likes this.