ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Rockets Playbook: The Primary Baseline Out of Bounds Set
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston rockets, kevin mchale, nba, playbook, x's and o's Tags
HMMMHMM is offline Old 10-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5204/r...of-bounds-set/

Sponsored Link
roxxfan is offline Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
roxxfan
Contributing Member
roxxfan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodroxxfan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43736
Yummy.

Clutch is offline Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Great job with this, Jonas. I especially love the video and how you were able to find so many instances where this same set is run. I learned a lot watching that and from the breakdown.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

cdrive is offline Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
cdrive
cdrive is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20881
Nice analysis! Would love to get your take on the BLOB alley oop to Greg Smith we saw in the preseason. Not sure how similar it was to the one you broke down. They had Greg setting a screen near the inbound passer to start the play. Then he did a quick roll out to the FT line and came in for the alley oop. I couldn't find any video, but I was impressed with that set also.

robbie380 is online now Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
robbie380
Contributing Member
robbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6630
Awesome write up!

Thanks!

Rashmon is offline Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Rashmon
Contributing Member
Rashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1537
This is why Clutchfans is the best website in basketball. Very educational and insightful. Great job.

Haymitch is online now Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Haymitch
Contributing Member
Haymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2005
Member: #16399
Good, informative break down. Much appreciated, and I learned from it.

bet

BigMaloe is online now Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
BigMaloe
Contributing Member
BigMaloe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigMaloe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigMaloe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigMaloe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigMaloe is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50111
Much was learned after reading this.

jayhow92 is offline Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
jayhow92
jayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48093
That was a cool analysis is to read. Nice job.

saleem is offline Old 10-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
saleem
Contributing Member
saleem is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesaleem is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesaleem is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jan 2001
Member: #2094
So many great plays coming out of the BOB. Thanks Jonas.

RocketRaccoon is offline Old 10-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
RocketRaccoon
Contributing Member
RocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #3049
Love this stuff. Thanks.

ind0fo0 is online now Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
ind0fo0
Contributing Member
ind0fo0 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20578
Interchangeable assets!

If you're running one of the lesser 29 NBA teams and Daryl Morey calls you, why would you even think about picking up at this point? Sure, you could just hear what he has to say, but it would be like going to one of those timeshare sales pitches just to get the free gift. A few hours later you realize you've dropped $50K on an outhouse in Idaho.

AggNRox is offline Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
AggNRox
AggNRox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodAggNRox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #11048
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMMHMM View Post
I always like your playbook posts.

AggNRox is offline Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
AggNRox
AggNRox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodAggNRox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
HMMHMM, it would be nice to show how to defend this type of plays. I assume other teams will have similar plays too.

Convictedstupid is online now Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Convictedstupid
Convictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2008
Member: #32678
This is great, brother.

durvasa is offline Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
Cool, I'm really looking forward to these this season. Thanks.

xiki is offline Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
This is WRONG. The KMac Rox run no sets.

Beautiful.

Beautifully put together.

Here's to JVG's prediction. I love a Parade!

j3i is offline Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
j3i
j3i is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2013
Member: #54558
The best kind of content on this forum. Thanks!

HMMMHMM is offline Old 10-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Thanks guys. Glad you like it. Dave (Clutch) was of great assistance to me, editing the images and helping me out/given me feedback with some of the breakdown.

Now that it's been posted, I sorta wish I had mentioned that you may see the Rockets incorporate a wrinkle to get Dwight open for a dunk every now and then, similar to what the Lakes had success with last year out of essentially the same action -- only out of their half-court offense, rather than from baseline out of bounds.

I didn't really know where to fit in there and thought it may be too much material, etc... and Dave had already done so much editing, so I just ended up leaving it out.
Who knows, maybe the Rockets don't actually incorporate this sort of wrinkle.... but don't be surprised if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggNRox View Post
HMMHMM, it would be nice to show how to defend this type of plays. I assume other teams will have similar plays too.
Well.. if it's someone Ronnie Brewer coming off that pin-down, you obviously go under that screen 100/100 and make him hit a jumper. If it's Kyle Korver or Kevin Martin, even, you go over and make them put it on the floor.
If you have wing players with similar height/size and defensive capabilities, you may want to switch some of those screens.
Denying certain players the ball and making the offense go to less often used and thus maybe not quite as "fluid" progressions may work quite well against certain teams... it really depends on the personnel/team you're going up against. Do you have guys you can can trust to protect the rim when channeling guys towards the hoop? Does the opposing team have guys you can help off from? Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrive View Post
Nice analysis! Would love to get your take on the BLOB alley oop to Greg Smith we saw in the preseason. Not sure how similar it was to the one you broke down. They had Greg setting a screen near the inbound passer to start the play. Then he did a quick roll out to the FT line and came in for the alley oop. I couldn't find any video, but I was impressed with that set also.
Yes. I logged that play. First time I've seen the Rockets run it.

Starts out in a box alignment. Brooks fakes to screen D-Mo, then runs through the "Elevator Door" by Smith and Canaan, after which Canaan immediately screens Greg Smith's man. Smith curls to the basket... and the inbounder (Brewer?) lobs it to him for the dunk.

I believe that play came after a timeout and I'm pretty sure the Rockets don't start off any of their normal BOB plays in a box alignment, so I would guess it's just something McHale drew up in the huddle. I wouldn't be surprised though if we see it again.

Last edited by HMMMHMM; 10-30-2013 at 03:46 PM.

AggNRox is offline Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
AggNRox
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMMHMM View Post
Well.. if it's someone Ronnie Brewer coming off that pin-down, you obviously go under that screen 100/100 and make him hit a jumper. If it's Kyle Korver or Kevin Martin, even, you go over and make them put it on the floor.
If you have wing players with similar height/size and defensive capabilities, you may want to switch some of those screens.
Denying certain players the ball and making the offense go to less often used and thus maybe not quite as "fluid" progressions may work quite well against certain teams... it really depends on the personnel/team you're going up against. Do you have guys you can can trust to protect the rim when channeling guys towards the hoop? Does the opposing team have guys you can help off from? Etc.
good points. defender needs to be very smart to know instantly what he has to do.