1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting to know Robert Covington - Your future starting PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Sep 26, 2013.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yea. That's right. I didn't learn my lesson, and am a glutton for punishment. So let's try this again.

But honestly, I am really liking what I'm hearing about this guy. From James Harden calling him a "sniper" and taking Covington under his wing:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/qa-robert-covington

To Jason Friedman's scouting report today:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/basketball-back

Observations like "his overall feel belies his experience level" is what gets coaches attention. It was characteristics like that which got Chandler Parsons onto the court so soon, even as a second round rookie. And the absence of said feel was what kept guys like Dmo(on the defensive end) and Tjones(on the offensive end) on the bench last year.

I think it is going to be a year long struggle for this team to find the right fit at PF. Thankfully, with 2 top ten players on the team to back us up, it will be a luxury to go through a carousel of forwards, while still winning at a high rate.

Alas, it is not that I have such high hopes for Covington, but merely he may end up being our best option out of a bad lot. I have little confidence that either Dmo or Tjones will ever become the deadeye stretch 4 that the Rockets need next to Dwight Howard. And that is precisely the opening that may allow Covington to carve out his niche.

As a 6'9 PF with a 7'2 wingspan, Covington was able to utilize his wiry frame to average nearly 2 steals and 2 blocks as a senior. Far more importantly, as a power forward and center at times, he averaged nearly 43% from 3pt over his four year collegiate career. His ability to stretch the floor along with his activity on the defensive end provide a Horry-esque combination that would be a dream fit next to Dwight.

Of course, with only one small caveat. A small question that has yet to be answered: is he an NBA player?

Friedman certainly thinks he "belongs". And he seems to be in Harden's good graces. Supposedly the coaches love him, and Morey believes in him enough to offer an undrafted rookie a guaranteed deal. These signs combined with his ideal fit on this team makes me think he has a real shot.

That said, at the end of the day, an undrafted rookie is still just that. It will be a battle to simply make the team. A struggle to earn any playing time. And a miracle to actually win a rotational spot on a team, a contending team no less.

So with that in mind, my prediction is: while one of Dmo or Jones will open the season as the starter, by no later than the all star break will Covington steal that spot and become the Rocket's starting PF.

Pls discuss, debate, and ridicule.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Your the Rudy Gay guy right?

3. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

He looks promising, but he needs to beef up a bit. If he can become PPat 2.0, then I think that would be awesome for this team.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

No. I'm the Busty Morris guy.

1 person likes this.
  5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

NOT THIS GUY!!!!!!!!

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

That would be What I think.

7. s.b713

s.b713 Member

LMAO.

As soon I saw your username that's the first thing that I though

8. bongman

bongman Member

If I remember correctly, your opening post on Morris was a lot more passionate than this one. Gotta give you kudos for putting yourself out there again :)

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Before I read this, answer one question: Did you or did you not watch Covington in summer league?

10. NotChandlerParsons

So, how tall is he really? Draftexpress has him at 6'6 and 1/4. Almost an inch shorter than Mook.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Damn it man; I was looking forward to Covington.

Now he is going to be the black Marcus Morris. :(

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Neg repped.

It isn't a curse until I make it into a trend. See: DD curse.

Combo breaker:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=237296

13. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Wow. You know nothing. Covington is an SF in the NBA. He plays from the perimeter. Seriously, do your due diligence before posting.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He is more of a SF, imo.

15. alethios

alethios Member

Seriously, Morris turned out to be a serviceable player for the Rockets and if Covington falls into that same role, it's another genius move by Morey.

16. rogower

rogower Member

Covington is only three months younger than Motiejunas and is over a year older than Jones, so this should be taken into consideration.

17. bongman

bongman Member

Not really sure if we can make that comparison. Morris was a first round draft pick of a team that was mediocre. Meaning, it would not be much of a surprise if he got PT. Covington on the other hand was not drafted and is playing for a team that is in paper, ready to contend. If he gets some kind of PT, I would agree that this move was genius (but not the Morris one).

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Covington just got the Cxbby Kiss of Death

too bad really, his career looked promising

19. basketballholic

He's a lock to make the final roster.

20. allaroundplayer

This thread assumes Howard returns to the player he used to be on both ends of the court & needs no help in the paint. That is assuming a lot. I'm not saying it is not going to happen, but why would he sign with the Rockets without assurances Asik would be traded? He even proposed the idea of playing alongside Asik. It seems like he WANTS help in the paint. I think the Rockets just told him they would try it out to appease him & get him to sign. Pretty soon the Rockets will can that idea & Howard will be unhappy about that & probably start complaining when Asik starts taking his minutes. So this thread & the question of what stretch 4 is the best fit next to Howard is WAY premature. It is counting your chickens before they hatch. In fact, based upon last season Asik is the center, not Howard, who is more suitable to be combined with a stretch 4. A better question is: Will Howard play good enough to keep Asik off the floor for more than 25 minutes???

LOCK THREAD!!!!!!!!