1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

International League pass

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 523744, Sep 2, 2013.

1. 523744

523744 Member

I'm currently living in Canada for work and am looking for some input from people that have used international league pass in the past. The NBA does a poor job of putting out information on the program.

Questions:
    Do you get access all of the games? Including games that are on US national tv and preseason
    Are you able to stream them through the nba app on appltv like the US league pass?
    Do you get access to NBA tv as well through the subscription?

Any input is appreciated.

2. FearTheBeardJH

You get access to all games, including games on national TV.

You don't get access to NBA TV, you have to pay extra $5.00 per month if you want it.

3. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I live 1/2 the time in Canada and 1/2 the time in Hong Kong. Here's my answer:

Do you get access all of the games? Including games that are on US national tv and preseason

You have access to all the games except the ones broadcasted in your area, the ones broadcasted on NBATV, TSN, ABC, etc. are blacked out. Sometimes games are broadcasted on US national tv but NBATV will broadcast Raptors game instead so you need LP. Some preseason games are shown but not all of them. Preseason games are not included in LP but you do get to see some of them. They randomly put some on LP but won't tell you which ones.

Are you able to stream them through the nba app on appltv like the US league pass?

Yes, you can airplay with your iPhone/iPad.

Do you get access to NBA tv as well through the subscription?

No. You still have to pay your cable company for that.

Extra info:

You can also access all games when you're overseas. But not while in the States.

4. 523744

523744 Member

Does anybody have a link to where I can sign up/pay for International league pass? I don't understand why the NBA makes it so difficult to sign up for this service..

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

The blue font works especially nice on the dark theme.

6. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

watch.nba.com should have a purchase link if you are internationally based

7. Jamers

Jamers Member

http://watch.nba.com/nba/subscribe ;)

8. 523744

523744 Member

9. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Enter code NBALP152013 to save 15% on NBA LEAGUE PASS Premium, or code NBALP102013 to save 10% on NBA LEAGUE PASS.

I got this last week. Not sure if it works in your country or not.

10. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

As somone who used to live in Houston and now lives overseas, here some things to be aware of with ILP from my experience:

- I believe domestic league pass blacks out games based on your credit card billing adress. Not sure what happens if you use a US credit card to pay for ILP, but I used Paypal to purchase to avoid any problems using a US credit card may have caused.

- ILP shows up when I click on the link others have posted, I believe it uses your ip address to show you the package suited to your area. If you're in the US you may not even be able to see the sign up link.

- There are no blackouts on ILP but you'll only get the games you pay for. eg. I got all regular season Rockets games plus all teams playoff games only last season. When you sign up you'll see all the options available. You can get every regular season and playoff game if you want. Not sure about preseason.

- There are many controls in place to prevent people in the US using ILP to circumvent blackouts, so it will not work if:
    * You are in the US (based on your IP address I assume), though a VPN might get around this (haven't tried).
    * You try to use the Game Time app on your iphone/ipad if you have a US itunes account, even if you are outside the US.
    * You try to use the Game Time app on your xbox360 if you have a US xbox live account, even if you are outside the US.

The last 2 points I only discovered after I signed up and after much attempted troubleshooting and googling to realise that was my issue. There are a lot of details that are not made clear when you sign up.

I ended up watching the games using a laptop connected to my TV and the quality was almost always excellent, though ymmv depending on your internet connection. I tried ILP last season for the 1st time. Prior to that I was using a Slingbox at a friends house in Houston and found that the quality was too inconsistent. I'm planning on getting ILP again this season.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought Canada doesn't really get ILP like other countries. It's more like regular LP in the US. Just like the US, you don't get playoffs. But, it's cheaper.

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

heypee you are right Canada is different from ILP

looking at getting the premium ILP real soon

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Canada has ILP, and it has playoffs. There is blackout, but you can bypass that using proxy for example. UK doesn't have blackout, so if you simply proxy UK ip, you will be fine.

14. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

What do you use to proxy?

15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I actually use paid proxy, but there are plenty free proxy out there as well.

16. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Just FYI. Don't use a paid proxy service.

Use a paid VPN service. Proxies and VPN's are two different things, and a VPN will be more convenient and beneficial

17. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Thanks for the great information. I am about to purchase international league pass (IP address is in Monterrey Mexico where I am working) but my credit card has a Brownsville TX address. The billing address is considered as part of Rockets area. Does anyone have any definitive knowledge if doing this will cause the Rockets games to be blacked out on ILP??? Any info is much appreciated.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

try paying with paypal. that's the advice of a poster on the League Pass thread on the GARM

19. SmeggySmeg

got my premium, which now includes live NBA TV... and the STARTERS

20. SmeggySmeg

anybody else using Apple TV, when I log in it is still saying that today game is game 7 of the finals..... via website on computer shows todays game and my subscription being up to date but nothing new on apple tv