1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Dwyane Wade to Clyde Drexler

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Miracles Boys33, Aug 12, 2013.

?

Would you compare Wade to Clyde Drexler

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. No

89 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Not sure

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Maybe

16 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Miracles Boys33

When they were showing re runs of the Miami Heat in the playoffs i've been watching how Wade plays and it seems like Wade kinda has the same play style of Clyde Drexler.

2. Miracles Boys33

Comparing sorry for the mess up lol

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not even close. Clyde was a more complete basketball player. He could drive, was one of the best open court players of all time, hit the J, had a great post game, and played great defense.

Wade only does two thing, drive and has a pull-up J. He does those two thing better than Drexler which is why they are close in regards to effectiveness.

Remember Drexler was considered by many to be equal to MJ until their finals meeting. Drexler was that good.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Clyde used to put his head down and turn into a shadow that somehow "glided" to the basket, Wade looks like a Ford F150 about to break down on the side of the road each time he tears through the lane or pulls back for jumper. I can feel my own ACL's clench in empathy each time Wade comes to a hardstop in the lane.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Wade's run to the finals with an aging shaq solidified him as being a better player than Clyde. Wade's playoff run was up there with Jordan's.

Wade's highest level of play was better than Clyde's. Sorry homers.

2 people like this.
  6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Wade is a very good passer and defender. He's a much better shot blocker than Clyde. Clyde's best season is nothing compared to Wade's best season.

You are underselling how good Wade is.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Obvious stir up job, nicely done. You're argument is flawed and so stupid that it's not even worth debating. It's obvious you haven't seen Clyde play because Wade is not even in Clyde's range.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think they are comparable in terms of effectiveness but they aren't close in terms overall game. Wade did things which were unstoppable where as Clyde had a more of well rounded game.

Drexler's career averages of 20 pt, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steels are amazing considering he was never a ball dominant player. He was never a player that you just handed the ball to on every possession. He always played off the ball.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In before someone says today's game is easier on SGs because there's no hand-checking allowed, while failing to also mention Zones are now allowed.

10. Asian Sensation

Clyde Drexler is my favorite player of ALL TIME and the reason why I am a Rockets fan. With that said, I think you're selling D.Wade short by a lot. To say Wade only does 2 things leads me to believe you've never really watched him play or you have a very short memory. Wade in his prime about 5 years ago was absolutely dominant. There was nothing he couldn't do. 30 ppg/ 7.5 assists/5 reb/2.2 steals and 1.3 blocks per game. To do all that at 6'4 is nothing short of spectacular. His performance in the Finals against Dallas when he won his first ring was the closest thing to a Jordan performance even to this day IMO.

I think Wade has been coasting for the last few seasons since he's deferred to LBJ combined with age creeping up and injuries lingering but these shouldn't deter you from remembering how dominant Wade was.

1 person likes this.
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wade took PED's. Clyde did not.

12. conquistador#11

clyde would have gone to the line 20 times a game in today's tough nba.

13. dragician

dragician Member

can he glide?

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

while i think they are a good comparison in terms of style of play, wade was easily more dominant in his prime than clyde was. his absolutely relentless attacking of the lane combined with just how effective it was combined with the fact that he could seeminly barrel to the lane and at the last second get off a good pass if the drive wasn't there just made him unstoppable when healthy. and it's not like he was failing to show up in the big moments.

i've always thought in terms of driving to the rim, he and ginobili were about the two best i've ever seen at seemingly going full speed, out of control at the rim while actually being able to change directions all over the place so that no defender could ever square them up. if you try to square up for a charge they just go around you at the last minute, if you try to get up on them they make you run into them for a foul. and yet after all of that chaos, they are excellent at finishing whatever shot they've awkwardly created. wade was just even more athletic and explosive than ginobili (and prime ginobili was really athletic).

if wade keeps falling apart in the playoffs every year, then clyde might stay close from a "total career" perspective, but really wade's 2006 playoffs were enough to forever have him over clyde.

1 person likes this.
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

My argument isn't flawed.

Wade-3
    Clyde-1 (backseat to Hakeem)

Wade's playoff run was top 5 in 2006. Clyde couldn't even sniff that. I love Clyde as much as the next guy but calling my argument stupid? Bring facts to the table OTMAX. You may be surprised what you find. Wade in his prime or Clyde? Your right, its not a debate.

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Wade is the better player in their primes, but Clyde aged better and will have the lengthier career. Wade is falling apart at just 31 and hasn't been the same for a few years now. I think the problem is that Wade never learned to shoot. Dude needs to get a good spot up 3 to lengthen his career.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Without any numbers...just my gut after having watched both of them....at each player's respective "best"...Wade was better.

18. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Wade is better but he never played the bad boy pistons and the Bulls to win a ring. The Pistons were the only tough team to go through in the Eastern Conference those years. The leastern conference. Clyde and the Blazers would take the Mavs of that year down too.

1 person likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think this is absolutely true. There are two players who I would put money on taking PEDs when(not if) this whole NBA players taking PED scandal reaches the light of day - Kobe & Dwayne Wade.

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

his face size grew, and he has facial acne. pretty big telling signs of IGF-3 or otehr HGH products