ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Talking NBA Draft, Rockets with Chris Monter
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, draft, houston rockets, nba, nba draft, podcast Tags
Clutch is offline Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/4081/p...-chris-monter/

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
Fullcourt is offline Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Fullcourt
Contributing Member
Fullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28396
Can't wait!

thumbs is offline Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
thumbs
Contributing Member
thumbs is James Harden -- racking up the pointsthumbs is James Harden -- racking up the pointsthumbs is James Harden -- racking up the pointsthumbs is James Harden -- racking up the pointsthumbs is James Harden -- racking up the pointsthumbs is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Apr 2002
Member: #3650
Does Chris Monter serve as an auctioneer in the off season?

Poor Clutch was even talking faster and faster toward the end.

Last edited by thumbs; 06-24-2013 at 09:15 AM.

basketballholic is offline Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
basketballholic
Contributing Member
basketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 2013
Member: #54577
Mel Kiper's twin?

Trade targets: Ricky Rubio, Amare Stoudamire, Ersan Ilyasova, Cody Zeller, Enes Kanter, Derrick Williams, Darrell Arthur, Chuck Hayes, Jonas Jerebko, Gerald Green, Andrei Kirilenko, Channing Frye, Paul Millsap, Brandon Bass

Fullcourt is offline Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Fullcourt
Contributing Member
Fullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28396
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
Does Chris Monter serve as an auctioneer in the off season?
Yeah, his cell is fading in and out, hard to hear at times

mikol13 is offline Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
mikol13
Contributing Member
mikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: May 2009
Member: #42553
Thanks for the podcast Clutch, I always like listening to Chris Monter.

A couple of things I want to touch on. Firstly, on Chris's concern for Oladipo. Now of course I'm a bit of an IU homer, but after watching every game all three years he was at IU, I feel I can be objective.

Oladipo's work ethic and drive are second to NONE. Vic wants to improve on everything he does, never satisfied. This includes his shot, ball handling, defense and so on. VO will continue to get better, he has that it factor that a lot of guys just don't have.

So for Chris to say it scares him because he is a junior and only did it for one year, is not all that fair. How about he worked hard to improve as a player and he has. Now, to worry about Vics outside game, is fair, he still needs to improve and I'm under the opinion he will due to being in the gym year round. Why not be afraid of Noel when he was average this year and didn't play well for the whole year? I'm just using Noel as an example, there are many guys in this years draft you can use that are being drafted solely on potential.

On what Chris said about Royce White; is it me or has RW just completely snowed everyone he's come in contact with to get what he's wanted? Royce one on one seems to be very charasmatic, but it just seems like when it's time to go to work he's all games. Rockets of course are being careful, hopefully they find a way to dump him.

mikol13 is offline Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
mikol13
Contributing Member
mikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Member: #42553
thumbs/Fullcourt

He's actually always been a little hard to hear. I've always thought of him as kind of a young sounding Lou Holtz. Great guy, though. Love his stuff.

basketballholic is offline Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
basketballholic
Contributing Member
basketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donebasketballholic is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 2013
Member: #54577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikol13 View Post

A couple of things I want to touch on. Firstly, on Chris's concern for Oladipo. Now of course I'm a bit of an IU homer, but after watching every game all three years he was at IU, I feel I can be objective.

Oladipo's work ethic and drive are second to NONE. Vic wants to improve on everything he does, never satisfied. This includes his shot, ball handling, defense and so on. VO will continue to get better, he has that it factor that a lot of guys just don't have.

So for Chris to say it scares him because he is a junior and only did it for one year, is not all that fair. Now, to worry about Vics outside game, is fair, he still needs to improve and I'm under the opinion he will due to being in the gym year round. Why not be afraid of Noel when he was average this year and didn't play well for the whole year? I'm just using Noel as an example, there are many guys in this years draft you can use.

On what Chris said about Royce White; is it me or has RW just completely snowed everyone he's come in contact with to get what he's wanted? Royce one on one seems to be very charasmatic, but it just seems like when it's time to go to work he's all games. Rockets of course are being careful, hopefully they find a way to dump him.

I agree with you on Oladipo. And I think his shot is going to get loads better. He's got decent form. His biggest problem is he is so athletic and used to taking it to the rim and he jumps so high that it disturbs the consistency of the mechanics of his jumper. I think Oladipo is going to have a better career than MKG by far. I think he's a higher iq baller than MKG with just as much work ethic as MKG.

Oladipo may become the best player in this draft class. If I were Cleveland I'd take him #1 and then trade down for more assets and still get my man Len at either 3,4, or 5.

Trade targets: Ricky Rubio, Amare Stoudamire, Ersan Ilyasova, Cody Zeller, Enes Kanter, Derrick Williams, Darrell Arthur, Chuck Hayes, Jonas Jerebko, Gerald Green, Andrei Kirilenko, Channing Frye, Paul Millsap, Brandon Bass

Clutch is offline Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:

So for Chris to say it scares him because he is a junior and only did it for one year, is not all that fair. How about he worked hard to improve as a player and he has. Now, to worry about Vics outside game, is fair, he still needs to improve and I'm under the opinion he will due to being in the gym year round. Why not be afraid of Noel when he was average this year and didn't play well for the whole year? I'm just using Noel as an example, there are many guys in this years draft you can use that are being drafted solely on potential.
I'm with you, mikol13, in that I'm a huge fan of Oladipo's game. I love his potential on defense. In fact, it was you who really first introduced me to his prospects since you knew his game so well and I've been a big fan since (good thread for reference on Victor Oladipo).

But I did think Chris made an interesting point about players that weren't highly recuited and then suddenly blowing up. He's mentioning the odds there, but I think he just wanted to keep the hype in perspective. His stock has soared over the last few months. I don't think he'll disappoint because his work ethic, as you point out, is so high and he's not lacking athletically or physically (maybe a hair shorter for a two). That's a winning combination.

For those who haven't seen him play, here are some highlights.

Quote:
It's true... I don't know if it is intentionally misleading media, but it's clear that he has a deep sense of entitlement as far as being a basketball player is concerned. That was pretty evident, from what I hear, in practices he took part in to start the year. Sort of a "Why practice when I'm not even playing?" mentality. When his option is not picked up, I wonder if a light will turn on.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

skyline07 is offline Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
skyline07
skyline07 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #42242
I love these ty clutch

Deuce is offline Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Deuce
Contributing Member
Deuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballholic View Post
Mel Kiper's twin?
LOL, thought the same thing. Monter sounded a lot like him and man does he talk fast!

Great podcast Clutch!

“I think with this [acquisition of Dwight Howard], we move into one of the top teams in the West,” Morey said.
"Teams mistake at times like this when they make rash moves, rather than well thought-out moves.
My concern is our playoff team coming in has chance to beat every other team in the playoffs; it’s not on having the best team in the league July 6, 2013.”

xiki is offline Old 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post

It's true... I don't know if it is intentionally misleading media, but it's clear that he has a deep sense of entitlement as far as being a basketball player is concerned. That was pretty evident, from what I hear, in practices he took part in to start the year. Sort of a "Why practice when I'm not even playing?" mentality. When his option is not picked up, I wonder if a light will turn on.
I expect that in a few years a new, determined Royce will try to return to basketball to restart a career he let go by the wayside.

I wonder if DM the GM were to release RW would anyone be willing to take a flyer on his talent? Or, at what price might someone?

I do believe from the neck down this man is a heckuva player. Shame he lacks Leonard's or Oladipo's or Haslim's etc tunnel-vision focus on what he needs to do to be all he can be on the court of basketball.

713 is offline Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: May 2011
Member: #48858
Hey Clutch you mind sticky these podcasts. I love listening to them when I workout but sometimes it gets buried in all the threads.

GageD is offline Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
GageD
GageD is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2006
Member: #17714
I like him saying Robinson would be a lottery pick in this draft but ccan we get a lottery pick for him??

don grahamleone is offline Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
don grahamleone
Contributing Member
don grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Member: #3034
Mike Muscala that was talked about in the podcast for 34:

knote32 is offline Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
knote32
Contributing Member
knote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jan 2006
Member: #16408
Thomas Robinson wouldn't be a lottery pick, he would be the clear cut number 1 pick...

Clutch is offline Old 06-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Clutch
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by knote32 View Post
Thomas Robinson wouldn't be a lottery pick, he would be the clear cut number 1 pick...
Out of college, or now?

don grahamleone is offline Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
don grahamleone
Contributing Member
don grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedon grahamleone is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Member: #3034
I still like Thomas Robinson's potential. His physical tool set is still there. I can't imagine why you'd give up on a guy like this already. He can be a 10 rebound a game guy without much improvement. I think our hand is forced by great goods. Like a guy that gets 14/g.

Artie_Fufkin is offline Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
Artie_Fufkin
Artie_Fufkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodArtie_Fufkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46428
TL;DL.

Carl Herrera is online now Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by GageD View Post
I like him saying Robinson would be a lottery pick in this draft but ccan we get a lottery pick for him??
No. Lets say he'd be the 11th pick. If my team has the 11 pick, why don't I just pick the best guy available and pay him at the 11th pick scale rather than trade him for a guy with one less option year left and paid at the 5th pick scale?