1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ARTICLE] An education on THE Twin Towers.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bumbum09, May 20, 2013.

1. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In lieu of all the Dwight rumors and whether he and Asik can play together I recommend this article. IMHO this is one of the best articles ever written about the Rockets! If you haven’t read the article, I highly recommend you read it! You will appreciate your team’s history even more once you are done…

Link: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8600657/view/full/an-oral-history-hakeem-olajuwon-ralph-sampson-1980s-houston-rockets
    Though I’ve pasted the article below, I recommend you read it off the site since they have pictures and videos you’ll enjoy.

4 people like this.
  2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Good read. Read it before and will read it again.

However if you are trying to say Dwight and Asik is a good pairing, all i can do is laugh.
    Neither of the 2 have any skills that compliment each other, and the only time you want the ball in one of these 2 players is when they are directly under the rim.

Sampson and Dream are capable of starting, leading and ending the fast break. Sampson can play the high post and Dream man the low post.

Heck, look at all the better front courts, Duncan/Robinson, Gasol/Bynum, Webber/Divac and the Wallace Ben/Rasheed. Its the same thing, one high one low.

And to make things even worst for a paring of Dwight and Asik, not only the offense will suffer due to the similarities in style and strength. Its the time of small ball and stretch 4s, meaning one of them will always be at a disadvantage at the defensive end.

How I wish if we have sampson and dream now.

3. cw3k

cw3k Member

Actually, I disagreed. If the Rockets live and die by the 3s, then having both Howards and Asik is an advantage. They get over 10 rebounds each on average, if just half of their rebound come from offensive rebound, that can easily translate 20 points.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Great read. Thanks, OP. Totally forgot about that one guy you talked about at the top of the post.

Original, bad post:

This could have easily gone in one of the many Dwight threads, where others have posted the ridiculous notion that Asik/Dwight would play well together for significant minutes.

Our offense is based on penetration (which leads to open 3s, as opposed to being based on 3s). How much penetration would we get with Dwight and Asik standing in the paint? And if they're not in the paint, why would their defender give them any attention? They can't hit a shot. Asik can't make a dribble move to the basket, and Dwight only sometimes can.

As for the article, it was nice. But Sampson and Hakeem were not like Asik and Dwight, and I know that you know this. So their success tells us nothing of how a Dwight/Asik frontcourt would be.

#4 Haymitch, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  5. arjun

arjun Member

we would get killed in transition. they would have to do a great job of running back on D incase they don't get the rebound.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this thread is necessary to ensure that Clutchfans is Clutchfans.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Man, there are some gems in there:

Reid: The late, great Dennis Johnson, one time he brought the ball up to half court and I opened up the gate. He said, "Reid, what are you doing? You ain't going to play no defense?" I said, "Look down there. Do you feel lucky?" He cussed me out.

Kersey: Somebody punched me in the head and I yelled up, "I don't know which one of you just punched me in the head, but if I find out, you're going to be ejected." With that, Bill Fitch said to me, "Jess, I know who punched you." Of course in the heat of the moment, I look at Bill and say, "Who was it?" He said, "It was Kareem and Magic."

Petersen: Being a [Bill] Russell fan and a fan of Dave Cowens, I grew up appreciating those teams. I was drafted with Olajuwon; Dream and I were pretty close. I remember both of us walking into the Boston Garden for the first time. You've got to walk into the building from the street and you get off the elevator and it smells like stale beer. When we walked in the first time into the entrance of the bowl with all the banners and — I was a huge hockey fan, too, being from Minnesota — it took my breath away. But I'm standing next to Dream and not saying a word and he looks at me and says, "What a dump."

Petersen: Rodney and I got traded to Sacramento, and I'll never forget that flight. We're on the flight to Sacramento and getting ready to land. We had both fell asleep and we're looking out the window and all we see are cornfields. Rodney looks at me and goes, "*******." That moment meant the dream that we had been living was over.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How many small ball stretch four teams are in the playoffs now?...

Heat = Chris Bosh

And Bosh just recently became somewhat of a stretch 4 and it's not like he's freakin Dirk Nowitzki out there nailing 3 after 3... just sayin.

I say it can work with the right coaching and right system.

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

the mods do a fine job. apply & join up with 'em ... your thread policing dreams will be fulfilled.

imo, this deserves its own thread. it obviously has meaning beyond Duhwhitemare 3.0.

11. bumbum09

Supporting Member

I started this thread because I do not think D12 and Asik can co-excist for more than 15 minutes a game. This article was to show that true "Twin Tower" systems only work when one, if not both, big men have guard like skills. Read Sampson's quote about his game. Read about the other failed attempts by other teams.

The other reason why I posted this was to show how rich our team history is! We are the reason there is a lotto system in place in the NBA. We went toe-to-toe with the greats. We have a history of animosity with McHale in Boston and Kupchak in LA. Now one is our coach and the other we can royally screw if we can get D12! HAH!

LOF enjoy and educate yourselves on the organization your favorite player is playing for! :)

#11 bumbum09, May 20, 2013
  12. bumbum09

Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice but I think I've been here long enough to know when to and when not to start a new thread brah...

13. Big Daddy Kane

Thank you Alvin Choo!

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

::EDITED::

I'm wrong. All my posts in this thread are wrong. The more Dwight threads, the better. Especially if they aren't really Dwight threads but are only presented as such and are actually threads about Dream/Sampson.

#14 Haymitch, May 20, 2013
  15. bumbum09

Supporting Member

Well, next time I make a thread I'll run it by you and your thread starting wisdom... You thought it was a Dwight thread because you read my frame and not the article, then commented. If you would have read the article first, you wouldn't have even remembered by framing.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

You don't need to bro. Bobby Brown rules in affect.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ok, my bad. My previous post has been fixed. Btw, I did read the article, but for some reason it didn't make me forget how you posted it to reference the current Dwight issue. My bad again brah.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Wow, I though that would never end. lol

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I love this one:

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Asik and Howard doesn't have to be a perfects fit, it just has to buy enough time to wait for Minny to decide to send Love over in exchange for Aisk and whomever. Excluding Parsons ideally.