1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody ever meet Avery Johnson?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cardpire, May 12, 2013.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

odd thread i know, but...

i've met a good amount of pro/former pro athletes in my life, and happened to meet Avery last night. pretty random person to heap praise on, but, damn...talk about skyrocketing to the top of my list of genuinely nice and friendly athletes that i've ever met.

was passing by me, and i casually said "hey mr. johnson, how are you?" expecting a quick acknowledgement and response, especially considering he was walking with his wife when i said that...turned into him stopping, shaking my hand, then leading conversation for a couple minutes, talking about how he can't keep up with his son who's in AAU anymore and only has enough wind for a couple 5 minute spurts, and on and on, all with a huge friendly smile on his face. and he made sure to go a little out of his way to say goodbye when he spotted me as he was leaving the event later in the night.

anybody else ever met him? my guess is that if you have, you have a similar story. just seems like that type of guy. appreciative and genuine. good on ya, avery.

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

my former boss had kids who went to the same private school as him in the woodlands and had very great things to say about him and his, seems you confirmed this

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I met him at a track meet when I was in high school (his daughter was on another team at the meet). It was the day after he got fired from Dallas. My friend and I just casually approached him and told him we were fans and told him we were sorry he lost his job hahah. He just laughed and said " appreciate it fellas." We talked with him for a fewinites and he was super friendly, really cool guy.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Met him a couple times, really an approachable guy.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Rat-voice is all I remember...

From on t.v...

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I know a few people that have talked to him a few times. All of them have nothing but great things to say about him.

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Met him once. He punched me in the groin with an upper cut. Super nice guy.

8. smr6

smr6 Member

I've met him. He is a member at Carlton Woods country club in The Woodlands and I used to work there. He was extremely nice to all the employees there and would talk to us while hitting balls and actually take interest in us. Most of the members there were rich guys that kind of saw us as beneath them so it was a breath of fresh air when he would come around. I got the same impression as you about him being a genuinely nice guy.

9. Laffy Daffy

Laffy Daffy Member

10. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Never met him but he was always a good character guy while playing

I got the same impression meeting Bill Worrell when I was like 10. He shook my hand and gave me a autograph

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Isn't he a preacher too? He should be pretty welcoming. He's probably used to chit chatting with people about more than basketball.

12. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

i met him at a basketball gym I play at. His son was practicing with his high school team I think. Really nice guy, like you said

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

He used to live in Sugar Land and go to that grocery shopping center where Kroger's is on Sweetwater (roughtly 10 years ago). Very very very nice guy who says "God Bless" a lot.

14. basketballholic

Met him in the Woodlands one day not too long after he got the Mavs job. One of the nicest, most genuine men you'll ever meeet.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He actually allowed me to tour his house one day while we were out because a builder colleague of mine builds a lot of houses in Carlton Woods. He was supremely friendly for the brief time we talked, but opening his home to me like he did was an incredibly generous act. His wife is also very nice, but can come off as being really pushy, and a little condescending at times.

16. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

This guy must be Jesus.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Can verify. Met him at the Galleria and signed an autograph with bible verse john 3:16 or something.

On second thought I think it was Horry 4:3.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I love meating Avery Johnson.
    In fact, I meat him every weekend and twice on Tuesdays.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Actually, yes. He used to w/o over the summers at SWCC with Leroy in SL. I got to know him pretty well. 'Argued' NBA hoops, etc. Really good guy. His wife is a delight.

Unfortunately has had difficulty as The Little General coaching teams. Shame.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Met him once at Memorial Park. He runs pretty fast and outlapped me several times. He is a stand up guy though. Very nice.