1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agency: How about Corey Brewer, the Human Manimal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 10, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets can use a veteran wing with both Delfino and Garcia most likely becoming unrestricted free agents. They may return but who knows how things will work out. Also, as useful as these two guys are, it may be time to consider getting somebody a little bit younger-- but still experienced.

Corey Brewer would seem to be a good fit, if contract works out. He brings almost as much spazz-tastic energy to his team as Kenneth Faried and has become a much better offensive player than he was as a young player (on this front, maybe he can help mentor Thomas Robinson-- Brewer was one of the very few 21-year-old rookies in the last 10 years whose offensive efficiency was as bad as Robinson's). He has proven himself with a high-pace team. He was also Kevin McHale's lotto pick from the 2007 draft so they know each other (and there's the Chandler Parsons Gator alum network). Not the best shooter but decent enough to function and help a very good Denver team.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9hJcXuhQXNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perhaps even more important, if Delfino doesn't return, Corey Brewer can fill in for Carlos in the facial expression department:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The contract is a question-- He makes $3M this year and probably wants a pay raise. From Houston, he is likely to only receive either the "room exception" (worth up $2.6-2.7M or so per year for 2 years) or a "left-over" piece of cap room after Houston pursues a bigger-named free agent. He might get snatched up before the Rockets get around to considering the secondary pieces, but there's also a chance he ends up in a position similar to Delfino's last offseason.

2. dantian

dantian Member

Yeah, I recall his draft with quite some hype. He disappointed up until these past 2 seasons. It's never late for someone to get light. Even Billups needed 5 or so years to fulfill his potential. He could be a younger and more healthy version of Garcia. If the price is right, grab him!

3. jvu

jvu Member

I like his size a 6'9 defender who needs to work on his 3-point shooting.

Playoffs 4/23/13 - 5/2/13

Thu 5/2 @ GS
    L 88-92 19 1-8 .125 0-5 .000 0-0 .000 2 0 1 1 5 1 2
    Tue 4/30 vsGS
    W 107-100 22 1-11 .091 0-5 .000 2-2 1.000 3 2 0 3 3 0 4
    Sun 4/28 @ GS
    L 101-115 29 3-9 .333 3-8 .375 5-8 .625 1 0 0 1 3 2 14
    Fri 4/26 @ GS
    L 108-110 24 6-12 .500 1-3 .333 3-3 1.000 3 2 0 1 5 3 16
    Tue 4/23 vsGS
    L 117-131 30 6-16 .375 3-11 .273 4-6 .667 2 3 0 0 1 0 19

Total 3 points
    7-32 = 21% 3 point percentage

4. Killer Korgi

Killer Korgi Member

We're looking for another franchise player first and foremost. Corey Brewer is the 6th man for the Nuggets and will likely be the same for the rockets. If the Rockets can get another superstar, then we can start looking at players like Corey Brewer.

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If we couldn't get Howard or Paul, we can sign Corey Brewer one year like Delfilo's contract

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I think Brewer is about to be overpaid, like Salmons level overpaid.

He hit a lot of clutch shots and played good D, but it was just 1 year, and I don't think he'll warrant the 8mill+ contract I think he'll get.

I think he is honestly worth less than MLE, just 1 good season in a contract year, maybe 3 mill/yr. Morey doesn't seem to have trouble finding role players, no need to overpay him.

1 person likes this.
  7. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Good point about having a younger vet to replace Delfino.

But... can Brewer play power forward? :grin:

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you're a wing player whose calling card is defense, then you better be able to hit the 3 in today's NBA. Especially for a team like the Rockets.

9. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

I live in Denver, so I see the nugs play a lot. Ive been hoping we could snag brewer in fa. See him as a perfect fit on this team, as constructed. Watch him on film: better defender than he gets credit for, always the first one across half court in transition, streaky shooter, crazy athletic. He used to come into my bar once a week or so & is genuinely a good dude too, always talked to those who recognized him, always bought drinks for the other regulars at the bar. Hope it works out.

1 person likes this.
  10. pnr

pnr Member

He'd fit really well here but we already have Parsons unless you want him to be our PF?

11. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

yeah this dude is gonna get paid. he had a great season coming off the bench on a team that has a lot of wings.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Shandon Anderson, again.

OK?

1 person likes this.
  13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'd rather go after Brandon Rush. He's a bit more solidly built than Brewer, just as athletic, and is a really good defender. He also shot 45% from downtown last year and is a career 41% 3pt shooter. I think coming off an ACL tear will lower his value on the free agent market somewhat, but we've seen several athletes come back 100% from that injury lately.

With Harrison Barnes putting up similar production and the Warriors at $75 million payroll next year I think the Warriors will have problems matching even a modest offer. They have to worry about Jarret Jack's free agency and the luxury tax as well.

14. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I like this idea. a LOT

15. jvu

jvu Member

bingo. Brandon Rush would fit this team very well.

Others to consider.

Kyle Korver, JJ Reddick, Anthony Morrow, or Belinelli may be some other options considering contracts.

16. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

He's a chucker extraordinaire. No, thanks.

17. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I want a defensive wingman who can occasionally shoot a three...

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Manimal is Faried.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really don't like the guy. He's super annoying when you're rooting for the other team.

It would be a nice pickup for a low price. He's a great role player.

20. platypus

platypus Member

Not a reliable three point shooter. Pass. I'd rather sign matt Barnes , or even JJ reddick. I wish Jared dudley was a free agent he would be perfect for this team!