1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this really called for.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by edwardc, May 2, 2013.

Tags:
?

Does the punishment fit or overkill

Poll closed May 12, 2013.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. edwardc

edwardc Member

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Assuming the article is accurate, I do not think he should be punished at all. I've made the same mistake, but instead just covered them up.

3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Your poll doesn't make any sense.

But...anyone bringing a gun to school is a complete moron and deserves what they get.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes, the school is being dumb, but I'm not sure the punishment is worth all the hysterics in that article. He's an Eagle Scout and an honor student and a church-goer, he loves his mommy, I'm sure he craps out apple pie; I get it. We're supposed to think since he's a good ole boy in the making, we should make an exception to the rule for him. They should have let it pass because he made arrangements to have the weapon removed, not because of who he is.

But, I love the poll.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This sounds like one of those situations where zero tolerance policies go wrong. He made a mistake and admitted to it. There should be some leeway in the policy for a situation like this.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

7. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

He forgot he had it and tried to correct his error. He does not deserve a full year suspension you clown.

8. Major

Major Member

Something seems to be missing here. According to the school:

A spokesperson for Johnston County Schools confirmed to Fox News that they found the shotgun in Withrow’s locked vehicle.

“The law is very clear when a person knowingly and willingly brings a weapon onto educational property,” spokesperson Tracey Peedin Jones said. “The situation was turned over to law enforcement immediately.”

But from the article, it sounds like it was not knowingly or willingly. So one side or the other is not correct here.

9. Baba Booey

He doesn't deserve any sympathy, either, you jackass.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Gun advocates constantly talk about how responsible they are and how they secure their weapons and how much they regard safety. What's different here? Pass because he's a good ole country boy? Honestly he sounds like an idiot. Rather than simply driving back home and being late to class he decided to leave a weapon in his vehicle on school property which is a felony. And this kid did a school project on gun safety? Okay... obviously he didn't understand the severity of what he had done and so he fails on gun safety.

11. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I don't care what gun advocates say, humans make mistakes. This kid went to a parent for help and was harshly punished. Based on the article he did not want to leave school grounds. I am not going to argue what is the correct action for him to take after he noticed the gun.

12. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Cool, so now instead of owning up to things kids will feel obligated to cover it up. That's much better.

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Sometimes being honest in this screwed up country isn't always the best thing to do. He should have kept it hidden, kept quiet, finish the school day and reinforce a lesson learned to never make that same mistake twice...

Zero tolerance is the same thing that expelled a 5 year old girl when she brought a toy bubble gun to school.

14. CometsWin

He was harshly punished because he committed a felony. Calling mom isn't an out for felonies. What this kid did was incredibly irresponsible and it's unfortunate that he forgot but that doesn't make it any less irresponsible. Guns aren't toys.

And I don't want to give the impression that I don't feel for the kid but he majorly screwed up, mistake or not. You can't pay lip service to being responsible and enforcing the laws on the books and then give people free passes. I know my younger brother made his own mistakes at 18 and he's still paying the price for having that on his record.

#14 CometsWin, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  15. Baba Booey

Kids will learn from this:

A. DON'T BRING A GUN TO SCHOOL

and

B. Put your effing gun back where it's supposed to be after target shooting/hunting.

If you cannot keep track of where your gun is, you shouldn't own one. It's absent minded idiots like this guy in this story who try to carry guns onto aircraft.

"I didn't know my gun was in THAT bag..."

Like I said...zero sympathy for idiotic, irresponsible gun owners.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I'll wait on passing judgement until I see a transcript of his conversation with his mom :grin:

17. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Charged, not convicted.

18. CometsWin

Well you said punished, I assumed you meant him being expelled from school.

19. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Sorry, I misread your post.

His criminal charge is irrelevant to my original point. I should of clarified. I am more concerned about his education. It's counter-intuitive to what they should be doing. In his case it prob will not lead to anything but for troubled students it could lead to a continuation of their downfall. It's good way to breed criminals. There is no mention much of alternative schools in the article though. I don't know how their school system works.

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

fix'd