ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Recap: Despite loss, Rockets come to play in Game 2
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston, houston rockets, nba Tags
Clutch is offline Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
More thoughts after a rewatch...

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3773/h...lay-in-game-2/

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
tinman is offline Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post

Deuce is offline Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Deuce
Contributing Member
Deuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #2940
Great recap Clutch! Good call on that Beverley/Eric Bledsoe comparison! ;-) That's just the kind of play we need next to Harden.

I was amazed by those Greg Smith +/- numbers. Wow. Might as well give T Jones some run there backing up Asik. How much worse can it get?

Really interesting to see the Rockets and Warriors go small and net good results. Other than some anomaly teams like Lakers (Howard/Gasol) and Grizz (Gasol/Randolph) it really seems like you are seeing more "combo forwards" playing that PF spot. One "big" and 2 interchangable forwards. Guys like Carmello, Lebron and Durant are getting minutes at the PF spot. It is a different league. It is also why I could see the Rockets looking for a forward like that in Josh Smith depending on how things go in the Dwight FA.

“I think with this [acquisition of Dwight Howard], we move into one of the top teams in the West,” Morey said.
"Teams mistake at times like this when they make rash moves, rather than well thought-out moves.
My concern is our playoff team coming in has chance to beat every other team in the playoffs; it’s not on having the best team in the league July 6, 2013.”

rocketsfan4 is offline Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
rocketsfan4
rocketsfan4 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodrocketsfan4 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50010
Great write up.

SF: Horry
PF: Sampson/Thorpe
C: Olajuwon/Malone

Clutch is offline Old 04-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Great recap Clutch! Good call on that Beverley/Eric Bledsoe comparison! ;-) That's just the kind of player we need next to Harden.
Thanks Deuce... and I got that from you Good call on that Bledsoe comparison.

It will be very interesting to me to see what the Rockets do this offseason from a personnel standpoint as far as whether they fully embrace their "Harden and the three-point shooters" offense or try to become more of a defensive team. Boy, if they get Dwight (and I know it's a ridiculously slim shot), it will be a fascinating summer.

Quote:
I was amazed by those Greg Smith +/- numbers. Wow. Might as well give T Jones some run there backing up Asik. How much worse can it get?

Really interesting to see the Rockets and Warriors go small and net good results. Other than some anomaly teams like Lakers (Howard/Gasol) and Grizz (Gasol/Randolph) it really seems like you are seeing more "combo forwards" playing that PF spot. One "big" and 2 interchangable forwards. Guys like Carmello, Lebron and Durant are getting minutes at the PF spot. It is a different league. It is also why I could see the Rockets looking for a forward like that in Josh Smith depending on how things go in the Dwight FA.
Very true. It really works so well for Miami and OKC because they have several defensive players or guys with length who can switch and defend players from point guards to power forwards, and on the other end, it's not like fours can stay with any of those superstars. I remember the end of the game at home against the Heat -- their ability to switch seamlessly contained the Rockets.

I could see where Josh Smith would be a big help... I'd still probably be disappointed if that's the summer splash. I believe strongly that Smith (and his agent) will be calling the Rockets expressing his interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsfan4 View Post
Great write up.
Thank you.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

TheJet is offline Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
TheJet
TheJet is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodTheJet is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2013
Member: #55088
The blatant elbow from Perkins to Harden under the basket was another blown call. In real time I thought it might have been incidental. A space clearing move. The replay clearly shows different. I wouldn't be shocked if a fine came down. We've seen fines for less.

Since it happened so fast I suppose it's not as ridiculous as the holding call on Parsons, but it was another straw for the camel's back.

Nice piece.

ROXTXIA is offline Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
ROXTXIA
Contributing Member
ROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2000
Member: #1409
Very good write-up, and very close to what I would have said.

I would add that I liked what I saw from Beverly in Game 1 and was mad when he came in, played well, then got pulled (see also, Fire McHale threads) so that Lin could continue to struggle. But Lin probably needed that trial by fire to get the jitters out, and I hope to hell he's okay. Last night's lineup gave us a shot.

Reach is offline Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Reach
Reach is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2013
Member: #55295
What I never understood was why Delfino would be placed at the 4 spot in place of Parsons whenever Mchale wanted to space the floor. Parsons has the rebounding prowess and the height to bother true 4's and he shoots the 3 just as well as Delfino does.

Roxs is offline Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Roxs
Roxs is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53179
Very good recap. It has a lot of analysis instead of just a summary of what happened during the game like most other fan sites - things we can read of ESPN or the AP.

This kind of material is something the Rockets basketball community is surely lacking.

Just curious, how long does it take you to write each of these?

I have a dream that, one day, I will not be judged by the date that I joined, but by the content of my posts.

NIKEstrad is offline Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
NIKEstrad
Contributing Member
NIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1350
Awesome write up, Clutch.

I expect Terrence Jones to get more run the next game. His ability to change shots (which has surprised me a bit, as he got under 2 a game in college which isn't elite) at the rim as well as his foot speed are just much better than Greg Smith's - he's potentially a far more disruptive defender that could cause more trouble against the PnR for Westbrook or Durant. OKC is so tough for our team because they have a front line essentially of long, athletic near 7 footers. Jones, (moreso than Smith), is the only guy on our team with that type of athleticism+size.

The rebounding has been interesting storyline for me. We've managed to outrebound them by forcing them to go small - our guards are better rebounders than their guards. Similarly, when they had just Ibaka in at the 5, we had a lot of success on the offensive glass off of drives, forcing Ibaka to contest because Smith/Asik/et. al will destroy their guards on the glass.

I thought we got a couple of ticky tack makeup calls after the Perkins hold on Parsons, but it was too late at that point.

Josh Smith is interesting, but I'm more concerned with having another option to carry the offensive load. Is Millsap that guy? I think Morey may find him especially intriguing, given he has range on his jumper and is somewhat disruptive of a defender himself. Smith scores more per game, but has always struck me as more of a tertiary option. Will be interesting to see.

"They gave me some medicine to make everything go away. I was not worried, not at all. I just wanted to make sure I was feeling good. The doctors, they care about me. Gave me a little lollipop, a little candy, some gum and some coloring books...I had a lot of fun playing the maze today." -- Ron Artest on going to the doctor for a stomach virus before Game 6 v. LA

Fyreball is offline Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Fyreball
Contributing Member
Fyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39843
Fantastic write-up, Clutch. Can't wait for Game 3 to see how these two teams counter each other. It feels great to finally have playoff basketball back in Houston.

Reach is offline Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Reach
Reach is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2013
Member: #55295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Smith is guarding Kendrick Perkins, who runs up to the three-point line top of the key to set a screen to free Westbrook. Smith’s problem is two-fold: He comes out way too far on the wing and incorrectly reads the direction of the screen. As a result, Perkins hits Chandler Parsons hard with the pick and Westbrook sees daylight. He bursts through an open lane down the middle and cuts through for an easy deuce… and to boot, Smith fouls him by trying to swipe his shoulder from behind.
This exactly. For all his athleticism and finishing ability, Greg Smith has absolutely no clue as to how to position himself on the defensive end. That one Westbrook play infuriated me when it happened.

Artie_Fufkin is offline Old 04-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Artie_Fufkin
Artie_Fufkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodArtie_Fufkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46428
Tell me more about Beverley going "hard on both ends."

WinkFan is offline Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
WinkFan
Contributing Member
WinkFan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodWinkFan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2002
Member: #3487
Quote:
Great recap Clutch! Good call on that Beverley/Eric Bledsoe comparison! ;-) That's just the kind of play we need next to Harden.

Another reason teams are successful going small is that most teams have at least one big guy who can't hurt you even if he's being guarded by a smaller guy. Perkins, for instance, can only hurt you on the boards no matter who is covering him.

There just aren't that many post up guys these days, and it doesn't seem like that's going to change any time soon.

sugrlndkid is offline Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
sugrlndkid
sugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50762
Great recap...I too think that the Rockets wouldve won this game if a few more open looks, and threes that were in rhythm were made...we wouldve had a tied series heading back home...but "if its and buts were candy and nuts..."

Regardless, hoping for an equally competitive game in the Toyota Center...Go Rockets..