1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale: Some young guys are getting minutes they don't deserve for developmental purposes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/2013/04/01/ZOOM0002MOV-2431098

Interesting quote in response to Howard Chen's question about how much it eases his concern about playing some backups when he saw then step up in the Clippers game. He said these guys are good players who are stuck behind some young guys who are getting more time than they probably deserve because the team is trying to develop them.

Wonder which young guys McHale was referring to.

Guys who gained minutes vs. Clips:

Anderson, Garcia, Smith.

Guys who lost minutes:

Harden (injury), Motiejunas, Robinson.

2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

McHale is too real.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

He's referring to Harden, obviously.

flamingdts pretty much nailed it in the other thread:

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

That is a really mean thing to say about Lin.

1 person likes this.
  5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Well, its true. It's got to gall McHale to constantly be given younger/rawer players while trying to make the playoffs.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Only possibilities are DMo, TRob, and Lin.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd say Thomas Robinson and Donatas Motiejunas.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nah, it's an objective thing to say if applied to Lin. He's been up and down. The one difference between he and the other young guys is that he's had a somewhat higher ratio of "up" games than the rookies have had. However, he's still really not entirely reliable.

But McHale was responding to a question about bench guys he may need to play due to injury/illness and guys who finally got to play vs LAC so I don't think he's talking about the PG position, at least not the PG position alone.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Donatas is the most obvious one because he was getting starter's minutes.

Robinson is there as well. Although, not starting, based on his play on the court, he should be in the developmental leagues right now.

As of right now, Greg Smith is a better option than either of these two guys.

10. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Considering Lin's played every game this season and his minutes are being restricted anyways, McHale's probably not referring to him.

1 person likes this.
  11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I'd have to agree.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah that seems pretty obvious.

Neither contribute much to winning, though some seem to think if our offense was featured DMo's post moves (all 2 of them) that we'd be better off.

And props to McHale for being honest.

#12 Haymitch, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Hmm I don't get this. You can say Morey forced his hands by trading away PPat and Morris. But after the trade was done, what choices does he have at the PF position? You obviously can't play Parsons/Delfino out of position all the time. So why does he sound like there're better alternatives on the roster than DMO and TRob?

On 2nd thought, maybe that's why he was playing Smith alongside Asik the other night...

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

But even so, Smith is himself a young player who deserves developing. I just don't get McHale sometimes...

15. Karolik

Karolik Member

Harden for sure, to "develop" his skills as the main option. Besides that i was thinking Robinson or Motiejunas, but Garcia doesn't play their position and Smith is pretty young himself.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

But if he was talking about Lin, it would all make sense then... :)

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well... yeah. I dont see why this would be a huge shock to anyone. The whole positioning of this season was to bring in the new age, and build a team for the future. The quote is actually taken slightly out of context too if you dont watch the video to go with it.

Playing the only "true veterans" Delfino, and Garcia 40 minutes each at the 3 and 4 doesn't really do anything for the future because it cuts back on the development of the guys who are going to be with the team long term... which is not Garcia and Delfino(who both could be gone after this Summer).

IMO, Garcia, Delfino, and maybe Brooks are the one guys he could be referring to. If you pull D-Mo, or T-Rob out of the game for missing an assignment of defense, who are you going to play instead of them... Smith, Olbrecht, T. Jones, or Royce White???

Everyone else I see on the roster is still what I consider a developing player who will make alot of mistakes.... even Harden who still has a long way to go to maximize his capabilities.

*So it is possible that McHale was just referring to guys like D-Mo, & Robinson getting minutes pulled for mistakes made on a normal playoff team that actually has veteran options. McHale just does not have those options unless he's going super, super small.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

He also said that if he rotated based on performance the rotations would rotate. But what options does he have, aren't everybody except for Garcia & Delfino being developed, so it's not like he could change the rotation dramatically. What's most interesting then is that he isn't playing Anderson much yet also doesn't play Brooks.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would agree Clutch except the guys he was refering too where guys that got an opportunity in the Clips game that had not had one because they were stuck behind young guys.

Like Anderson and Garcia are the two he seems to be referencing for me....

DD

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

You would think he means DMo and TRob, but we don't have any other PFs behind them unless you count Smith...