ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract
pkothari1013 is offline Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
pkothari1013
pkothari1013 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34481
ESPN article listing the best rookies based on potential and stratified by age - in this case, those aged 21. In case anyone is wondering (like I was), D-Mo is actually 22.

#1 is Dion Waiters (Cavs), #4 is Terrence Ross (Raptors), #5 is Perry Jones (Thunder), #6 is John Jenkins (Hawks), and #7 is Kendall Marshall (Suns). Enjoy.

Quote:
After looking at the 19- and 20-year-old rookies, typically guys who played just a season of college ball, we will examine the 21-year-olds, who fit in the "sweet spot" of having played two seasons, or perhaps three, of college ball. These are guys who entered the draft after either going back to school to improve what was already a decent draft stock, or because they would not have been drafted the previous June. This ranking is based on what each player would look like if he fully realized his potential, whether that is likely or not.

2. Thomas Robinson, Rockets

Only in Sacramento can a "can't miss" player seemingly miss. Robinson has the tools to be a strong defender, an outstanding rebounder, and an offensive player who can be of value in transition and out on the floor. Packaged in an athletic, strong and long body, that combination screams long-term starting power forward. Should Houston be able to sign an All-Star-caliber power forward this summer, Robinson will move to the bench. Otherwise, he will get the chance to develop his long list of talents next to some very complementary players.

Robinson has some skill at making plays with the ball, but that part of his game should not be developed yet; it'd be better for him to hone his "tough" game, learning to master screen setting, out-of-area rebounding and overall role-playing responsibilities. Robinson should be a high-level role player -- one of the team's top two rebounders and perhaps its best position defender. He has the talent to be a key player on a great team.

3. Terrence Jones, Rockets

Jones came out of college reminding some people of Darrell Arthur, who starred in the NCAA championship game after an up-and-down career at Kansas. Jones had a similar career at Kentucky. Both guys were indeed too talented for college and only displayed those talents on occasion.

Arthur has proved to be a solid rotation player for a very good team. Jones has a similar upside, with perhaps even more offensive talent. He'll have to settle into a position first, most likely at power forward, where he can use his versatile offensive game to beat slower men off the dribble or overpower smaller defenders inside. Jones has the game to do both. He also has the makings of an excellent shooter, who should eventually be able to knock down 3s.

He's in a tough spot in Houston, which is loaded with young frontcourt players, so it would not be surprising to see him moved as part of a big deal this June. Either way, Jones has the ability to be a long-term starter or a valuable big man off the bench who averages double figures on good shooting numbers.

Sponsored Link
infinitidoug is offline Old 03-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
infinitidoug
infinitidoug is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47248
yet, we're still not playing jones. is he really performing so badly in practices that forces mchale to enforce this constant benching?

thedude077 is offline Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
thedude077
thedude077 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52829
I remember when Thomas Robinson, Terrence Jones and Royce White were in the top 5 in power forwards for the 2012 draft last year. A lot of experts had these players high. I hope they don't become busts like the 2009 draft players we had.

Roxs is offline Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Roxs
Roxs is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53179
We have a lot of young PF candidates with upside. You would think that one of them if not 2 would get packaged for something later on in the summer.

I have a dream that, one day, I will not be judged by the date that I joined, but by the content of my posts.

pkothari1013 is offline Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
pkothari1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude077 View Post
I remember when Thomas Robinson, Terrence Jones and Royce White were in the top 5 in power forwards for the 2012 draft last year. A lot of experts had these players high. I hope they don't become busts like the 2009 draft players we had.
Yeah, I hope so too. Presumably one of the Rockets' goals in hoarding so many PF's (D-Mo, T-Rob, T-Jones, #Winnebago) though is to increase the odds of just one of them developing into an All-Star type player even if the rest of them are busts. It's pretty crazy that so many of the 09 draft picks we got didn't pan out well, but I think that draft class redeemed itself for us with Harden and Beverly.

HadToDoItCF is offline Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
HadToDoItCF
HadToDoItCF is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodHadToDoItCF is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50331
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitidoug View Post
yet, we're still not playing jones. is he really performing so badly in practices that forces mchale to enforce this constant benching?
FFS he had a ****ing cast on his left (shooting) arm against Dallas on Sunday. Do people just not ever educate themselves before offering an opinion? I've put this exact information in like 5 threads...

Coaching your kid's 7th grade AAU team makes you a dime a dozen, not John Wooden.

Lil Lee is offline Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Lil Lee
Contributing Member
Lil Lee is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16448
It would just be fantastic if either T-Rob, T-Jones, D-Mo, or Royce White be the PF we need and have been looking for instead of wasting our cap on these other players (Josh Smith, Dwight, etc).

Les Alexander, cough up the dough and send all 4 of these to Hakeem in the summer and allow the dream to make a man out of at least one of these boys.

-Rudy T

TheRealAllpro is offline Old 03-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
TheRealAllpro
TheRealAllpro is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51831
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadToDoItCF View Post
FFS he had a ****ing cast on his left (shooting) arm against Dallas on Sunday. Do people just not ever educate themselves before offering an opinion? I've put this exact information in like 5 threads...
What!? How did he get hurt? And when? And what?

infinitidoug is offline Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
infinitidoug
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadToDoItCF View Post
My bad. From now on, I'll remember to look in every thread for your top notch, up-to-date comments to eliminate any redundancy or errors on my part. It might also save me from certain angry, jump-to-conclusions comments. My bad for not noticing the thread you started about his widely known injury on clutchfans, nba.com, houstonrockets.com, espn.com, sportsillustrated.com, thedreamshake.com, and the google pages I tried to look for just now.

infinitidoug is offline Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
infinitidoug
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAllpro View Post
What!? How did he get hurt? And when? And what?
seriously, how long has he been hurt? I can't seem to find anything on any site that details this

Rockets12 is offline Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
Rockets12
Rockets12 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineRockets12 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineRockets12 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2011
Member: #48390
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitidoug View Post
My bad. From now on, I'll remember to look in every thread for your top notch, up-to-date comments to eliminate any redundancy or errors on my part. It might also save me from certain angry, jump-to-conclusions comments. My bad for not noticing the thread you started about his widely known injury on clutchfans, nba.com, houstonrockets.com, espn.com, sportsillustrated.com, thedreamshake.com, and the google pages I tried to look for just now.
Well in how defense, it was repeated like 20 times (maybe more) in the first Dallas game (the Sunday one). So if you even looked at that thread you were most likely bound to eventually find it said

Roxs-Redemption is offline Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
Roxs-Redemption
Roxs-Redemption is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRoxs-Redemption is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46396
Has TJones played a game in the regular season yet?

Twitter: @SamH95_ | click here for the Australian Social Group
Vorped Rockets Stats | twhappy Rockets Stats

pkothari1013 is offline Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
pkothari1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxs-Redemption View Post
Yeah, he's played in 11 games (average ~8 min, mostly garbage time though). He did have one pretty nice highlight against the Lakers early in the season:

ch0c0b0fr34k is offline Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #14
ch0c0b0fr34k
ch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30747
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothari1013 View Post
Yeah, he's played in 11 games (average ~8 min, mostly garbage time though). He did have one pretty nice highlight against the Lakers early in the season:

The screencap to that youtube video is wallpaper-worthy. Can anyone make it?

"I shot (free throws) like I was Mark Price. I had a slower song tonight in my head. Last night I had a fast song and I was going too fast. Tonight I had a couple slow jams playing in my head and I did pretty good so I'm going to keep it up. ... The playlist was some Tank, some Tyrese and some Usher and some Beyonce. And on the Beyonce's I hit all net so I might have to keep singing Beyonce."
- Dwight Howard on his excellent free throw shooting technique

pkothari1013 is offline Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
pkothari1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0c0b0fr34k View Post
Here's the original screencap: http://i.imgur.com/bNu2jKa.jpg

And here's my amateur attempt at a wallpaper: http://i.imgur.com/XAZEW9u.jpg

Roxs-Redemption is offline Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #16
Roxs-Redemption
Roxs-Redemption is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRoxs-Redemption is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0c0b0fr34k View Post
Cant find a wallpaper. Sorry.

Try asking RedRedemption.

Twitter: @SamH95_ | click here for the Australian Social Group
Vorped Rockets Stats | twhappy Rockets Stats

pkothari1013 is offline Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #17
pkothari1013
Since I saw other people ask (in other threads/forums), here are the full articles for the 19, 20, and 21 year olds - I didn't want to start a new thread for this. Only the 21 year olds have Rockets... (btw, this is not my source):
http://i.imgur.com/pvJu5xG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Sid20ru.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IshcVnx.jpg

Patterned919 is offline Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Patterned919
Patterned919 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPatterned919 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPatterned919 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPatterned919 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxs-Redemption View Post
Yeah I think I remember him playing a few games when Sampson was coaching.