ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal


Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Rockets are one of the best teams in the league.
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, comcast, denver, espn, houston rockets, james harden, kevin mchale, kings, league, lost, lottery, moving, nba, power rankings, roster, tim ohlbrecht, trade Tags
charles_zed is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
charles_zed
Member
charles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodcharles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,218
Member: #51755
    Reply With Quote
Despite all the complaining that has happened on clutchfans, and all the talking heads saying the Rockets were going to be a lottery team this year even after the acquisition of Harden - We are actually one of the best teams in the league and based on these metrics we are actually grossly underachieving.

Hollinger Power Rankings has the Rockets at #8. #6 in the West.

Expected Win Percentage has the Rockets ranked at #9. #6 in the West and only a fraction behind Denver.

This is impressive considering we were the youngest, most inexperienced NBA squad with the greatest roster turnover in the league. Adding to this, we acquired our franchise player only days before the start of the season, McHale was absent due to a family tragedy and we also lost three rotational players in a mid-season trade. There's also the comcast debacle that means less Houstonians get to watch the games and our home-court turnouts haven't been very impressive (weaker homecourt cf. teams like Denver who benefit significantly from their home floor)

As this group gets more seasoned the floor of expectations should be the fifth or sixth seed in the West moving forward without any major acquisitions next season. With the high upside and development of players like D-Mo or Ohlbrecht who fill in critical voids on our existing roster we could easily be on the cusp of elite status by next season without even adding a 2nd franchise star.

http://espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/EWP

__________________
Your New Age Rockets - Jeremy Lin (undrafted), Chandler Parsons (2nd rounder), Greg Smith (undrafted), Omer Asik (2nd rounder), Patrick Beverley (2nd rounder), led into the fray by former sixth man James Harden.

Unwanted. Unheralded. Unbelievable.
 
Sponsored Link
Orange is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Orange
Member
Orange is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineOrange is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 944
Member: #51609
    Reply With Quote
Harden,Asik, and Parsons are Amazing.

__________________
Yao Retired A Rocket.




If you watch the NBA and all of it's great athletes, and you decide that Jeremy Lin of all people is your favorite player, than you are most likely an idiot and your basketball opinion is irrelevant to me.
 
just a word is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
just a word
Member
just a word is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 951
Member: #52812
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_zed View Post
Despite all the complaining that has happened on clutchfans, and all the talking heads saying the Rockets were going to be a lottery team this year even after the acquisition of Harden - We are actually one of the best teams in the league and based on these metrics we are actually grossly underachieving.

Hollinger Power Rankings has the Rockets at #8. #6 in the West.

Expected Win Percentage has the Rockets ranked at #9. #6 in the West and only a fraction behind Denver.

This is impressive considering we were the youngest, most inexperienced NBA squad with the greatest roster turnover in the league. Adding to this, we acquired our franchise player only days before the start of the season, McHale was absent due to a family tragedy and we also lost three rotational players in a mid-season trade. There's also the comcast debacle that means less Houstonians get to watch the games and our home-court turnouts haven't been very impressive (weaker homecourt cf. teams like Denver who benefit significantly from their home floor)

As this group gets more seasoned the floor of expectations should be the fifth or sixth seed in the West moving forward without any major acquisitions next season. With the high upside and development of players like D-Mo or Ohlbrecht who fill in critical voids on our existing roster we could easily be on the cusp of elite status by next season without even adding a 2nd franchise star.

http://espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/EWP
The only reason why Denver and Utah have such huge homecourt advantages is because of the elevation of their cities, causing altitude sickness especially on the second night of a back to back. Studies have shown that otherwise homecourt advantage isn't that huge.

__________________
"...enjoy the Rockets’ moment as a fragile little sprout, because basketball’s version of Audrey II will be a razor-toothed man-eater soon enough."
— Ben Detrick [x]
 
bongman is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
bongman
Member
bongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2002
Posts: 1,532
Member: #3931
    Reply With Quote
Totally agree. What adds to the excitement is that we have a huge ability to sign another top tier player during the off season.
 
Microfridge is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Microfridge
Contributing Member
Microfridge is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Sep 2007
Posts: 872
Member: #25450
    Reply With Quote
Hollinger Power Rankings has Rockets at number 5, sometimes number 4
 
charles_zed is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
charles_zed
Member
charles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodcharles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,218
Member: #51755
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microfridge View Post
Hollinger Power Rankings has Rockets at number 5, sometimes number 4
I derp'd up but I can't edit, thanks for the clarification. ESPN power rankings has us at #8 but is largely subjective (still nice to be validated). Hollinger has us at #5 which is even more impressive.

__________________
Your New Age Rockets - Jeremy Lin (undrafted), Chandler Parsons (2nd rounder), Greg Smith (undrafted), Omer Asik (2nd rounder), Patrick Beverley (2nd rounder), led into the fray by former sixth man James Harden.

Unwanted. Unheralded. Unbelievable.
 
hoodooslab is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
hoodooslab
Member
hoodooslab is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,007
Member: #32348
    Reply With Quote
Tell us something we don't already know.
 
charles_zed is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
charles_zed
Member
charles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodcharles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,218
Member: #51755
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a word View Post
The only reason why Denver and Utah have such huge homecourt advantages is because of the elevation of their cities, causing altitude sickness especially on the second night of a back to back. Studies have shown that otherwise homecourt advantage isn't that huge.
HCA in the NBA is a real thing. But yes, Denver and Utah receive an even more pronounced advantage due to their high altitudes.

__________________
Your New Age Rockets - Jeremy Lin (undrafted), Chandler Parsons (2nd rounder), Greg Smith (undrafted), Omer Asik (2nd rounder), Patrick Beverley (2nd rounder), led into the fray by former sixth man James Harden.

Unwanted. Unheralded. Unbelievable.
 
JJHardLin is offline Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
JJHardLin
Member
JJHardLin is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Posts: 634
Member: #52552
    Reply With Quote
We can be one of the best teams in the league but it really doesn't matter. You can only win the championship in this league if you have multiple superstars. Right now we only have Harden whose on the lower end superstar tier.
 
charles_zed is offline Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
charles_zed
Member
charles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodcharles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,218
Member: #51755
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHardLin View Post
We can be one of the best teams in the league but it really doesn't matter. You can only win the championship in this league if you have multiple superstars. Right now we only have Harden whose on the lower end superstar tier.
Name ten players better than Harden. Or five better perimeter players.

There are only two players who are clearly better than Harden imo.

1. Lebron
2. Durant

Then you've got Carmelo, Wade, Chris Paul, Westbrook, Tony Parker, James Harden - all have their cases.

__________________
Your New Age Rockets - Jeremy Lin (undrafted), Chandler Parsons (2nd rounder), Greg Smith (undrafted), Omer Asik (2nd rounder), Patrick Beverley (2nd rounder), led into the fray by former sixth man James Harden.

Unwanted. Unheralded. Unbelievable.
 
Pieman2005 is online now Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Pieman2005
Member
Pieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,559
Member: #43599
    Reply With Quote
The high on clutchfans are really high.. and the lows.. sure are low.

After we win, Asik is one of the best centers in Rockets history apparently and the Rockets are one of the best teams in the league

After we lose, everyone start panicking and freaking out lol..

__________________
"(Science) It works. Bitches." - Richard Dawkins

Germany - 7
Brazil - 1

My autographed Trevor Ariza jersey isn't useless anymore!
 
JustAGuy is offline Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
JustAGuy
Member
JustAGuy is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodJustAGuy is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,172
Member: #53274
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieman2005 View Post
The high on clutchfans are really high.. and the lows.. sure are low.

After we win, Asik is one of the best centers in Rockets history apparently and the Rockets are one of the best teams in the league

After we lose, everyone start panicking and freaking out lol..
To be fair, it sometimes takes two losses for the complete freakout. After one loss, as long as it is to a good team, there is a lot of "young and inconsistent" to balance the freaking.
 
PrawnJ is offline Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
PrawnJ
Member
PrawnJ is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 192
Member: #47715
    Reply With Quote
Rockets are FAR from being one of the best teams right now. Above average? yes. But not one of the best. But if you're talking in terms of long term success, yes, rockets are one of the teams that have best positioned themselves for long term success
 
Gil is offline Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Gil
Member
Gil is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGil is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,695
Member: #52062
    Reply With Quote
We're in the 3rd tier of teams in the League so no.
 
RedDynasty is online now Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
RedDynasty
Member
RedDynasty is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRedDynasty is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRedDynasty is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,161
Member: #50154
    Reply With Quote
TIER 1
Heat, Thunder, Spurs

TIER 2
Clippers, Grizzlies, Pacers

I say we are Tier 3, therefore not quite one of the best, but getting there.
 
caneks is offline Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
caneks
Rookie
caneks is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2007
Posts: 776
Member: #28818
    Reply With Quote
lol, Morey fans.
 
DrNuegebauer is offline Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
DrNuegebauer
Member
DrNuegebauer is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDrNuegebauer is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDrNuegebauer is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDrNuegebauer is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDrNuegebauer is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,155
Member: #1358
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by caneks View Post
lol, Morey fans.
lol, u.

__________________

basketballholic says:
TJones is starting because we don't have anybody else. TJones is giving us nothing more (and probably not as much) as Tyler Hansbrough or Reggie Nut-grabber or some other garbage man pf would give us.
L
O
L
 
J Sizzle is offline Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
J Sizzle
Member
J Sizzle is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJ Sizzle is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJ Sizzle is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJ Sizzle is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJ Sizzle is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJ Sizzle is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJ Sizzle is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,959
Member: #50387
    Reply With Quote
We would be if we knew what "defense" meant
 
otisthorpe3 is offline Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
otisthorpe3
Member
otisthorpe3 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2007
Posts: 317
Member: #20430
    Reply With Quote
Good teams don't lose most of their close games.
 
jocar is offline Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
jocar
Member
jocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,869
Member: #27834
    Reply With Quote
 

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nba.com league. need 5 teams Ziggy Fantasy Sports 0 10-30-2005 09:24 PM
Need a few more teams for free league aelliott Fantasy Sports 4 10-30-2005 04:18 PM
Are we now one of the SMARTEST teams in the league? hikanoo49 Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 10 03-10-2005 07:04 PM
The reason why rockets lose to bad teams and win against good teams trugoy Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 18 02-16-2003 06:35 PM
Ok, let's end all of this now (All teams in BFinn's League) Robert Snyder Fantasy Sports 11 01-22-2001 04:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.