ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Chandler Parsons: Play vs. Value
Tags:  basketball, chandler parsons, houston, houston rockets, moving, nba Tags
IgotNext is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
IgotNext
IgotNext is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2010
Member: #46675
Parsons is a solid player........his contract is amazing for the rockets as well. I was just wondering if people thought there are better SF out there( or more suited for Houston)

Or because he is out performing his contract Extremely, it would just be absurd to try and upgrade?

Is he just our guy and we are not looking to upgrade until his contract is up? Or would there be somebody who is a significant upgrade?

I guess I'm just conflicted on: parson being way worth the amount he is paid and just being blind to an upgrade or this guy is just that good.

Iv also heard him moving to PF( would that work?)

Sponsored Link
bongman is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
bongman
bongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2002
Member: #3931
Trading Parsons would be a very difficult move. If we were to trade him for a player of the same position, it would be somebody who is a significant upgrade and that means this person is a max salary player.

It would require us to part with a lot of our players to match the salaries. Are we willing to scrap all our young developing talent plus Chandler - who has the potential to be just as effective as this max player once he gets more mature?

LikeMike is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
LikeMike
Contributing Member
LikeMike is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodLikeMike is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2007
Member: #22804
For one, he perfectly fits our team: a good 3pt shooter, slasher and passer on offense, and he can defend the best opposing wing player on defense.

Second: his contract is crazy good. Today in the NBA it is all about getting the best possible players fit under the cap. Having a guy like Parsons makes this so much easier. You could basically have 3 max guys plus him and round out the team.

Third: of course there are better SF out there and we could upgrade the position. LeBron James, Paul George just to name a few. And if one of them just falls in our lap, of course we could trade Parsons for them - but when looking at this team and how to upgrade, you actually try to improve your weaknesses on the roster (right now basically PF - perhaps PG, but I don`t think so) while keeping the core you want to build around. And I am sure Parsons belongs in that core!

IgotNext is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
IgotNext
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongman View Post
Trading Parsons would be a very difficult move. If we were to trade him for a player of the same position, it would be somebody who is a significant upgrade and that means this person is a max salary player.

It would require us to part with a lot of our players to match the salaries. Are we willing to scrap all our young developing talent plus Chandler - who has the potential to be just as effective as this max player once he gets more mature?
Would you say he and harden are untouchables? It would be stupid to include him in any type of package. Right?

Angkor Wat is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2007
Member: #24006
I wouldn't say parson is untouchable but it would take a franchise player/superstar to warrant trading Chandler in a package.

IgotNext is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
IgotNext
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
For one, he perfectly fits our team: a good 3pt shooter, slasher and passer on offense, and he can defend the best opposing wing player on defense.

Second: his contract is crazy good. Today in the NBA it is all about getting the best possible players fit under the cap. Having a guy like Parsons makes this so much easier. You could basically have 3 max guys plus him and round out the team.

Third: of course there are better SF out there and we could upgrade the position. LeBron James, Paul George just to name a few. And if one of them just falls in our lap, of course we could trade Parsons for them - but when looking at this team and how to upgrade, you actually try to improve your weaknesses on the roster (right now basically PF - perhaps PG, but I don`t think so) while keeping the core you want to build around. And I am sure Parsons belongs in that core!
Good points

FearTheBeardJH is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
FearTheBeardJH
FearTheBeardJH is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52759
http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../2013/lineups/

Rockets best lineups are with Parsons at PF.

Rockets outscore 12.5 points per 100 possesions in 276 minutes with Parsons at PF.

bongman is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
bongman
bongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2002
Member: #3931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angkor Wat View Post
I wouldn't say parson is untouchable but it would take a franchise player/superstar to warrant trading Chandler in a package.
With the way our current roster, yes they are untouchables. But if we somehow get a top tier player before the deadline or summer free agency, it would be easier to justify trading Parson for the 3rd and final piece.

ivenovember is offline Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
ivenovember
ivenovember is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodivenovember is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #27003
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheBeardJH View Post

Rockets outscore 12.5 points per 100 possesions in 276 minutes with Parsons at PF.
I would worry about Parsons at PF in the playoffs on defense when the game slows down though.

IgotNext is offline Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
IgotNext
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheBeardJH View Post

Do you think it could be his primary position? He is about the average height for a PF (so I read) but if people are calling Patterson and Gasol soft, wouldn't they rip parsons if he was in that position?

meh is offline Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
The Rockets don't need to replace Parsons so much as they probably would like to complement him. Parsons plays 1/4 of his minutes at PF, so the Rockets obviously need to go small for long stretches for matchup reasons. It would be nice if they can add a quality SF to lessen Parsons' minutes, or allow him to play more at PF.

Imagine the situation when the Rockets obtained Artest when they had Battier and T-Mac. Except imagine T-Mac actually staying healthy and not quitting. That IMO is their dream scenario.

IgotNext is offline Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
IgotNext
If parson could play the stretch 4 and we get an even more athletic SF, that would be insane.

But I don't know how it would look on the defensive side of the ball. could be a post up nightmare on him, but he is a decent defender.

IgotNext is offline Old 02-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
IgotNext
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
The Rockets don't need to replace Parsons so much as they probably would like to complement him. Parsons plays 1/4 of his minutes at PF, so the Rockets obviously need to go small for long stretches for matchup reasons. It would be nice if they can add a quality SF to lessen Parsons' minutes, or allow him to play more at PF.

Imagine the situation when the Rockets obtained Artest when they had Battier and T-Mac. Except imagine T-Mac actually staying healthy and not quitting. That IMO is their dream scenario.
So do you think we should look for a SF to do what your talking about( which sounds good) or stick to the: we need a PF from somewhere else?

OremLK is offline Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
I would not trade him unless we were getting a legit superstar in return (at any position) OR an all star SF to replace him.

rocketblaze is offline Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
rocketblaze
rocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2009
Member: #41757
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
I would not trade him unless we were getting a legit superstar in return (at any position) OR an all star SF to replace him.
I agree with this for the most part.

But I don't think I would trade him for an All-Star who is heading toward the down side of his career.

Mainly talking about guys like Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, etc. These guys scream out 'short term thinking' for me.

OremLK is offline Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketblaze View Post
I agree with this for the most part.

But I don't think I would trade him for an All-Star who is heading toward the down side of his career.

Mainly talking about guys like Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, etc. These guys scream out 'short term thinking' for me.
Yeah, I agree, it would need to be a guy with at least 3 or 4 prime years ahead of him.

flamingdts is offline Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
flamingdts
flamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30398
For his salary and production he is nearly untradeable. In my opinion the second most untradeable player on this team.

He makes less than 1 million a year. Even as a bench player he would be underpaid.

split41 is offline Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
split41
split41 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52694
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
I'm with you. Parson's is way too valuable for this team to trade for anything less. A few people mentioned what he brings to the team on court, but this guy has great off court value as well. He's a great locker room leader and is the glue that holds this team together, he's a competitor and willing to play through injuries for the good of the team. Besides who else could we use to have a ladies night

mvpcrossxover is offline Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
mvpcrossxover
mvpcrossxover is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finemvpcrossxover is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finemvpcrossxover is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33363
is he the most underpaid starter?

ClutchFans' Achievement

hocash is offline Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
hocash
Contributing Member
hocash is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53540
I'd trade Parsons and a 1st rounder for Ryan Anderson. That's how much better I think Anderson is.
Parsons has a great contract. But only right now. Once he's off his rookie contract he'll be commanding pretty good money from someone. Other teams will overpay him but Morey won't. If Parsons won't take less money to stay with Houston (and why would he when it's his first big contract) then IMO better to trade him sooner than later so the new player can gel.