1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Will Be the #1 Overall Draft Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Feb 1, 2013.

?

Whose name will be the first one called on June 6?

1. Sean Manaea

13.1%
  2. Mark Appel

45.9%
  3. Ryne Stanek

1.6%
  4. Clint Frazier

13.1%
  5. Austin Meadows

11.5%
  6. Other (please name)

14.8%
  1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Baseball season is nearly upon us, and I think that it's never too early to have a discussion about who the Astros should draft #1 overall. Here are the 5 players who have garnered significant consideration for that spot.

Sean Manaea, LHP, Indiana State

In one sentence: Manaea burst onto the scene with by dominating the Cape Cod League last summer and vaulted right into the mix for the top pick.

[​IMG]

Indiana State Athletics

Minor League Ball: 2013 Draft Profile, by Matt Garrioch

CodBall: Breaking Down Sean Manaea

Draft Profile: Big League Futures

2012 Cape Cod League All-Star Game:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wxwOpAZQyJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford

In one sentence: Remember me?

[​IMG]

Stanford Athletics

Crawfish Boxes: 2012 Draft Profile

Baseball Prospect Nation

Ryne Stanek, RHP, Arkansas

In one sentence: Tall righty with projection, and a wipeout slider.

[​IMG]

Arkansas Athletics

MLB Draft Countdown

Clint Frazier, OF, Loganville HS (Loganville, Georgia)

In one sentence: Has all five tools, but will lack of projection end up hurting him?

[​IMG]

Perfect Game

From August 2012 (Baseball America): Frazier and Austin Meadows star in the Under Armour All-America Game

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bstnvEcTXbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Austin Meadows, OF, Grayson HS (Loganville, Georgia)

In one sentence: Probably the most physically impressive high school product in this class.

[​IMG]

Perfect Game

MLB Draft Countdown

Others

Well, if you don't think that any of the above five will be worth using a #1 pick on, then who would you prefer to see in the top spot?

1 person likes this.
  2. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I don't think anyone has separated themselves at this point. In addition to the five you listed, I'd keep my eye on Dominic Smith as a prep that might shoot up draft boards. He's might be the best pure hitter in the draft. He's played mostly 1st, pitcher, and catcher (he's left handed), but he has the arm strength to potentially profile in RF (where he'd have the most realistic defensive value). Kris bryant, Austin Wilson, and JP Crawford(prep ss) are other position players that may force their way into the conversation.

As a general principle I prefer position players to pitchers when drafting this high. Although at this point, the biggest strength of the draft, up top, is college pitchers and it may be one of those occasions where none of the position players are worthy of a top pick. Of the pitchers I prefer Appel and Maneae to Stanek. Obviously all this can change drastically over the next four months. I only really hope one or more of these guys take a big step forward prior to the draft.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Manaea's my guy. I have concerns about his delivery, but superstar LHP potential is rare.

Stanek 2nd

Appel 3rd

Frazier 4th

Meadows 5th

I'm prefering to go after college pitchers. We lack that top pitching prospect. Biggest hole in our system, in particular LHP.

4. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I don't really watch or follow baseball but didn't the Astros pick number one overall last year, and why didn't or first round pick help us this year did he go to the minor league?

I'm not trolling I'm just curious.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know enough about these prospects to comment yet, but I had no idea that Mark Appel didn't sign with the Pirates. Interesting.

Has anything changed with the draft -- can the Astros try to work their magic where they're picking up top prospects later because they (may) have the bonus money to work with if they come to a reasonable agreement with the #1 pick?

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yes, Carlos Correa went to the minor leagues. Just standard operating procedure.

7. juicystream

The rules are still the same, but now agents/prospects/GMs have experienced the new system. We won't sneak up on them again this year.

I'm skeptical that we can play the draft rules as much to our advantage as we did last year.

1 person likes this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

What juicy said.

On another note, I went to Astros Fan Fest last weekend and Jeff Luhnow says that he expects the team to spend almost $20 million in bonus money on draft picks and international amateurs. Remember, by virtue of having the worst record in 2012, the Astros will also have the most money available in their international bonus pool.

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Jeez, what are they feeding the kids in Loganville, Georgia?

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Or is Austin Meadows from Grayson, Georgia?

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My vote is for Kris Bryant, third baseman UCSD. Bryant may be the best college power bat in the draft and the prospect with the highest floor.

BP Unfiltered

San Diego’s Kris Bryant (CIF/OF) is one of the better raw power bats in the draft class, displaying legit plus-plus power consistently in batting practice while showing some ability to manifest in-game, as well. At his best, Bryant drives the ball to the right-center gap with authority and shows an ability to turn on fastballs on the inner-half. There is some swing-and-miss to his game, as well as stiffness in the field. Warts and all, Bryant could be a top ten pick in June due to the increasing scarcity of power bats at the prospect ranks and the thin crop of collegiate position players draft-eligible this year.

BTW, my second choice would be Ryne Stanek. He dominated in last year's college tournament.

#11 No Worries, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

So how long until he actually you know... contributes?

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the kid is 17 years old.... not any time soon..

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wt2P5jVyxOs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Baseball is difficult than other sports....guys aren't ready coming out of college (and certainly high school) for the difference. You don't have guys drafted right out of school coming right into the Majors. Very different from basketball and football that way.

15. body slam

body slam Member

As much as i would like to see them get a stud in the draft I'd be happy if we have a repeat of last years draft.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think correa is a stud...

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

But based on last years draft and the gains they've made in the farm all together, don't you think it might be time to take some gambles on players that might be ready to contribute much sooner?

It's time that they start making strides towards the upper levels.

18. juicystream

Dominating power-hitting college 3B from California?

I'm having Phil Nevin flashbacks.

19. juicystream

2014 at the earliest, likely 2015 (age 20 season) or 2016 (21).

20. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Clint Frazier physically, and from what I've read about his work ethic, reminds me of Craig Biggio. Look at the incredibly strong wrists and forearms on both. Stong wrists = plus bat speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]