ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Kobe on... Jordan, LeBron, T-Mac, etc.
Tags:  basketball, blog, debate, espn, fun, germany, high school, kobe bryant, lebron, lebron james, michael jordan, nba, school, shaquille o'neal, tracy mcgrady Tags
ItsMyFault is offline Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
ItsMyFault
Contributing Member
ItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36216
Full article: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...-lebron-django

Some of the questions asked by Chris Palmer:

Why have you only won one MVP?

Because I played with Shaq. It’s that simple. A lot of the time we cancelled each other out. I sacrificed a lot playing with him. I really did. I did it for the success of the team. If I never played with him, my numbers would have been ridiculous.

When was the last time you watched Michael Jordan tapes?

Wow, it’s been a while. Probably not since 1999. I used to watch a bunch, but that was a long time ago.

What was it like dropping 33 on him as a 19-year-old in your second year?

I wasn’t scared or nervous back then when I played Jordan. He looked at me like he was going to f--- me up but I had to let him know that I wasn’t that guy. I let him know that I’m not like all those other guys he played against. That’s not what I was there for. I was there to compete and I did.

Did you let him know that verbally?

More so by the way I played and competed.

Early on you got tired of the MJ comparisons, but a part of you had to be flattered, right?

I appreciated them, but after a while it just got old. They eventually faded away because I was putting together my own identity. But I’ll never forget how much I learned from MJ. I got so much from him. I knew what he did, I knew his moves and I used them. But for me the comparisons didn’t work because our situations were totally different. I came straight out of high school and played with a dominant big in Shaquille. Man, I was so young when I got to the NBA. What was I, like, 17? I mean, 17! The more you think about it, my situation was completely different than MJ’s, so the comparisons were just, you know, I stopped paying attention to them.

Ironically, toward the end of your career those comparisons are starting to return.

I don’t mind that now. It’s different now that I’m at the end of my career and I can look back. Fans will always want to know who’s better and like to compare players, and I love that. That’s what I used to do. That’s why people are into basketball, because it’s fun to debate those kinds of things.

Are you a top-five player all-time?

I don’t know. I hope so. I’ve still got a little time left, but honestly I haven’t thought a whole bunch about legacy and that kind of stuff. I just feel like there will be plenty of time for that.

Who would you most like to play one-on-one, either active or retired?

Jordan. No question.

What would happen?

I’m not sure, but he would win some and I would win some in a seven-game series. It would probably come down to the last few shots.

You versus LeBron? Who wins?

Me. No question. As far as one-on-one, I’m the best to ever do it.

Damn. That’s pretty confident.

LeBron is a terrific all-around, five-on-five basketball player who’s an all-time great. But I’d get him.

Who could get you?

Kevin Durant is the guy that would give me the most trouble. With his length and ability to use the dribble, he’d be tough.

I always wanted to see you play Tracy McGrady.

I played T-Mac. I cooked him. Roasted him. Wasn’t even close. Ask him, he’ll tell you. When I was about 20, we were in Germany doing some promotional stuff for that other sneaker company and we played basketball every day. We were in the gym all the time. We played three games of one-on-one to 11. I won all three games. One game I won 11-2. After the third game he said he had back spasms and couldn’t play anymore.

His back bothered him for most of his career.

Well, now you know.

____________________________________________________________ __________________________________________

EDIT: McGrady apparently denies ever playing Kobe in Germany. lol

Quote:
McGrady heard about Bryant's version of the story and responded on Twitter.

"LOL Hell no! That's far from the truth. No one in the NBA is playing 1 on 1. Me and KB never went to Germany together either.."
http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-news...ry/2013/01/17/

Last edited by ItsMyFault; 01-18-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Sponsored Link
Rodman23 is offline Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Rodman23
.GIF
Rodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRodman23 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2012
Member: #51132

Sleepy Flloyd is offline Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Sleepy Flloyd
Sleepy Flloyd is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45816
Kobe be a liar.

Shroopy2 is offline Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
Shroopy2
Contributing Member
Shroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10896
Kobe and Carmelo both with the hot latina wife thing I guess

Kobe can show good memory on some petty stuff. Then he'll deny things like knowing who Jeremy Lin is during the Linsanity hype. (Though I can kinda believe that. When you get older, sometimes you don't care about the "hot trends", you just do you only)

But its comes across as "smug for effect" cuz he can, kinda hard to know if he's REALLY sincere with his denials and matter of fact shrug-offs

Still, not giving a flying f**k overall is mostly a commendable thing.

SacTown is offline Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
SacTown
SacTown is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSacTown is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSacTown is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSacTown is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSacTown is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSacTown is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Apr 2011
Member: #48785
Prime Tmac woulda roasted him

Mr. Clutch is offline Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Mr. Clutch
Contributing Member
Mr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post

Because I played with Shaq. Itís that simple. A lot of the time we cancelled each other out. I sacrificed a lot playing with him. I really did. I did it for the success of the team. If I never played with him, my numbers would have been ridiculous.
He's delusional.

GRENDEL is offline Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
GRENDEL
Contributing Member
GRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #8213
.... I havenít thought a whole bunch about legacy and that kind of stuff.

http://flicksfan.blogspot.com/

HoustonTexas is offline Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
HoustonTexas
HoustonTexas is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodHoustonTexas is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2012
Member: #50863

sbyang is offline Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
sbyang
sbyang is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2002
Member: #7739
Have to give respect to Kobe.

I thought he was on the decline a few years back and Wade would take his place as the best SG.

Look at the two of them now, Kobe is still at a high level and Wade has dropped way off.

SwoLy-D is offline Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
SwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post

Because I played with Shaq. Itís that simple. A lot of the time we cancelled each other out. I sacrificed a lot playing with him. I really did. I did it for the success of the team. If I never played with him, my numbers would have been ridiculous.
LOL!

Angkor Wat is offline Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAngkor Wat is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAngkor Wat is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAngkor Wat is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAngkor Wat is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAngkor Wat is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAngkor Wat is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2007
Member: #24006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
He's delusional.
Just like his fans lol

Scientific1 is offline Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Scientific1
Scientific1 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #27293
Kobe Bryant a liar? I'd expect more from him.

Awesome is offline Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Awesome
Awesome is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34647
LOL...

definitely a compulsive liar

Mcgrady didn't even go to Germany until 2003 for the first time here's a post from another site

Quote:
Ok, I found that article: http://www.basketball365.co.uk/adidas180603.htm

It says that McGrady was in Germany for his first time in 2003, he was in Paris in 1998, Taipei in 1999 and Manilla in 2000; all related to Adidas events.

As far as I can tell, Bryant wasn't with him in Paris.

And according to Adidas: http://www.adidas.com/kr/application/ev ... 3on3_e.swf
Bryant was not with McGrady in Taipei nor was he in Manilla with him. In 1999 in Taipei Adidas had McGrady, Tim Thomas and Antoine Walker, in 2000 it was only McGrady and Tim Thomas, while in 2001 it was only Bryant.

So, all what is said in this thread as possible locations seems to be out. Thus, we can assume that McGrady is telling the truth here while Bryant has something mixed up in his head for sure. Both, McGrady and Bryant never visited Germany together at the time in question, so much is clear.
I don't even know why he'd bother with this, especially after he chickened out of a 1 on 1 game with Kyrie Irving.

Awesome is offline Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Awesome
Awesome is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34647
Quote:
Early on you got tired of the MJ comparisons, but a part of you had to be flattered, right?

I appreciated them, but after a while it just got old. They eventually faded away because I was putting together my own identity. But I’ll never forget how much I learned from MJ. I got so much from him. I knew what he did, I knew his moves and I used them. But for me the comparisons didn’t work because our situations were totally different. I came straight out of high school and played with a dominant big in Shaquille. Man, I was so young when I got to the NBA. What was I, like, 17? I mean, 17! The more you think about it, my situation was completely different than MJ’s, so the comparisons were just, you know, I stopped paying attention to them.

...but Jordan said Kobe calls him on the phone asking for advice and tips

This guy LOLOL

macho87 is offline Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
macho87
macho87 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodmacho87 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47447
" I love going one-on-one with someone. Thatís what I do. Iíve never lost. Itís a whole different game, just to have them right in front of you and be able to do whatever you want."

Rape!

DaGreatest is offline Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
DaGreatest
DaGreatest is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2010
Member: #46249
Sacrificed personal accolades for 3 consecutive championships. If he'd rather have 'sick' numbers and 2 championships, then thats ridiculou.

I remember those few years after Shaq was traded to Miami, it was sick indeed until you got a gift from the NBA named Gasol.

He needs to thank Shaq for making him relevant in Championships with Jordan and Magic

Magic wouldve won like 5 straight Chips with Diesel. Jordan would have wonlike 10 Chips

Kobe makes no1 better, hes a gunner at the expense team chemistry, he wins because his teams are LOADED, but he failed with the hall of fame team in 2004 and hes failing with hall of fame team #2

Hes undeniably an incredible one on one scoring machine but hes simply not as much of a winner as hes praised to be, I like to be a realist about it.

Put Kobe on Jordans first 3 peat teams and he couldntve done, Jordan= GOAT

"They just isolate Hakeem," Jordan said. "He's an All-Star player. He got hot and the way to stop him when he gets like that is simple -- you don't let him get the ball.
"Because when he does get it, you can't stop him. We have no one who can match up with him. No one."

SamFisher is offline Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
SamFisher
Contributing Member
SamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSamFisher is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Apr 2003
Member: #11807
Kobe we've found your doppelganger - it's not Jordan or LeBron...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...kido01&y2=1999

supdudes is offline Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
supdudes
supdudes is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesupdudes is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesupdudes is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36386
...it does sound like Tmac though

jayhow92 is offline Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
jayhow92
jayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48093
He blames Shaq for not getting more MVPs but says he doesn't think about his legacy.

Dave_78 is offline Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
Dave_78
Dave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Oct 2006
Member: #20252
The insecurity of getting old is all over his comments. He is going to be one of those players that grossly embellishes his career once he retires.