ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Why has Greg Smith been frozen out of the rotation?
Tags:  basketball, greg smith, houston rockets, kevin mchale, nba Tags
charles_zed is offline Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
charles_zed
charles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodcharles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51755
He's seen less and less time in the rotation, Aldrich received a nod over him and stunk up the joint and now McHale apparently prefers playing Patterson at the back-up 5.

Imo Morris hasn't done enough to warrant retaining the starting spot, I'd be looking to put Patterson back as the starting PF given that he plays much more consistently. Oh and we got absolutely destroyed on the boards in the 2nd quarter when we went small with Patterson at the 5 and McHale continued with it. I hope he reconsiders and tries to put Greg Smith back into the rotation, he's done nothing to warrant being frozen out, the guy has given more than valuable minutes, he's played damn exceptional and all the stats show it.

Sponsored Link
y2Joem is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
y2Joem
y2Joem is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2009
Member: #42384
hiding from the trade machine maybe? I think they're showcasing the other players to up their trade value

ashishduh is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
ashishduh
Contributing Member
ashishduh is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodashishduh is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46962
It was an 8 man rotation today.

val_modus is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
val_modus
val_modus is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2010
Member: #47814
Agreed. I don't think Morris should lose his starting spot however. The guy can stretch the court for Lin and Harden's playmaking. Patterson fits in better with the second unit as he leads the team in low post usage which is something that goes better when playing with a shoot first "pg" (Douglas).

Carl Herrera is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
He lost minutes after the shoe lace and shooting-shirt issues. Need to learn how to attire himself properly for minutes.

BBAL is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
BBAL
BBAL is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51784
Good question. I was getting warmed up to him. He was looking better and better.

DreamShook is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
DreamShook
DreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
He lost minutes after the shoe lace and shooting-shirt issues. Need to learn how to attire himself properly for minutes.
all the extra articles of clothing is a problem for Greg Smith. Rox have like 3 shooting shirts.

crash5179 is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
crash5179
Contributing Member
crash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2052

crimmy88 is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
crimmy88
crimmy88 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #26781
I worry that McHale is going with a lineup that sticks Patterson at the 5 now like last year

charles_zed is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
charles_zed
charles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodcharles_zed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #51755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
Thanks, I somehow absent-mindedly forgot about these incidences. Probably would explain a lot of it given McHale prefers to treat these guys like rooks. Still annoyed that Aldrich got 'unearned' minutes over him though.

TheRealist137 is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
TheRealist137
TheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemTheRealist137 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36197
Simple.

If Patterson sucks, put Smith in. If not, let it roll.

kjayp is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
kjayp
Contributing Member
kjayp is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodkjayp is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19684
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2Joem View Post
hiding from the trade machine maybe? I think they're showcasing the other players to up their trade value
^^^ this....

We didn't tank - and we're on the rise.... remember that the next time you wanna rail about some 'treadmill of mediocrity...' I'll take DM's ability over the randomness of some ping pong balls anyday!

rockettes is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
rockettes
rockettes is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #52028
low bball iq - shoe lace incident

Z-Ro&Trae is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
Z-Ro&Trae
Z-Ro&Trae is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43495
because mchale is coaching.

Chamillionaire is online now Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
Chamillionaire
Chamillionaire is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodChamillionaire is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32341
He's behind Asik, MM, PP. Nothings really changed except that PP is back from injury and shooting lights out.

rocketsfan4 is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
rocketsfan4
rocketsfan4 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodrocketsfan4 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50010
Quote:
This BETTER be the ONLY reason. Otherwise McHale is just playing Aldrich because he looks the most like him.

Rocket_4_Life is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Rocket_4_Life
Rocket_4_Life is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43650
Has coach McHale or Daryl Morey seen or commented on that picture? It's so funny.

rogower is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
rogower
rogower is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodrogower is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52464
Quote:
Completely agree. It appears that Daryl Morey is showcasing Patrick Patterson and Cole Aldrich. Sooner or later, Greg Smith will start getting his 15-20 minutes/game again. I think Morey would love to free up a roster spot by packaging Patterson and Aldrich for an expiring contract and the highest draft pick possible. Then he uses the available roster spot to sign Patrick Beverly and trades Scott Machado to Chicago for Richard Hamilton and Chicago's 2013 first round pick (lottery protected).

In other words, Morey would like to turn the expendable Patterson and his two least valuable players on the roster into next year's backup PG (Beverly) and two draft picks, hopefully two first round draft picks. The team can obviously replace Patterson in the rotation with Terrence Jones.

I think he'd also love to get back a draft pick for Carlos Delfino, if he could, but I think that's pretty unlikely, even though Delfino has played well and would be a good rotation player for any team.

CheukLau is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
CheukLau
CheukLau is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2011
Member: #49293
Cuz of his D and ability to space the floor

Rip Van Rocket is offline Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
Rip Van Rocket
Contributing Member
Rip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2002
Member: #4070
As long as they keep winning, McHale can play anyone he wants and I won't care. But, it could be that he is ill or something. I think Cole was sick last game, so I wouldn't be surprised if an illness is going around.