ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] The Chandler Parsons Contract: An Analysis (UPDATED)
Tags:  basketball, chandler parsons, clutchfans, houston rockets, nba Tags
BimaThug is offline Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
UPDATE: 4/8/2013 2:50pm -- a revised edition of the analysis of Chandler Parsons's contract:

The Chandler Parsons Contract, Take Two
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3681/c...ract-take-two/

The Chandler Parsons Contract: An Analysis
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3455/c...ract-analysis/

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

Sponsored Link
corby is offline Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
corby
Contributing Member
corby is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5875
I get smarter every time I read an article by BimaThug

TheMystery008 is offline Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
TheMystery008
TheMystery008 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsTheMystery008 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsTheMystery008 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51891
Poor Parsons, can't get his worth until 2015.

Good news for the Rockets though.

(Beverley - Harden - Ariza - Jones - Howard)

da_juice is offline Old 12-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
da_juice
da_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2009
Member: #44535
Damn socializms. I must spread some rep around.

Thanks for the article.

rockbox is online now Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
He's going to get paid. I'm thinking between 8-10 million a year.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis...ith+statistics

ERC is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
ERC
ERC is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimaThug View Post
Thank you - both for taking the time to explain Parsons' contract and for making it so easy to understand!

ch0c0b0fr34k is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
ch0c0b0fr34k
ch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30747
Guess this goes to show how important it is to be drafted in a good position entering the NBA.

"I shot (free throws) like I was Mark Price. I had a slower song tonight in my head. Last night I had a fast song and I was going too fast. Tonight I had a couple slow jams playing in my head and I did pretty good so I'm going to keep it up. ... The playlist was some Tank, some Tyrese and some Usher and some Beyonce. And on the Beyonce's I hit all net so I might have to keep singing Beyonce."
- Dwight Howard on his excellent free throw shooting technique

rolyat93 is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
rolyat93
rolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47852
Won't work for him, we need to cut him so that we can re-sign him to the max.

AroundTheWorld is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
AroundTheWorld
Contributing Member
AroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2000
Member: #1115
BimaThug - thanks a lot. Very well-written. I was actually wondering about this. So I hope we sign Kevin Love in 2015 and then re-sign Parsons to a fat contract!!!

comment removed

OCCUPY UNSORTED!
KEEP UNSORTED ALIVE!

iconoclastic is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
iconoclastic
iconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26097
I have but one 5-star rating to give.

jayhow92 is online now Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
jayhow92
jayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48093
An initially smart move by his agent horrendously backfired.

ch0c0b0fr34k is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
ch0c0b0fr34k
ch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhow92 View Post
I wouldn't say horrendously backfired. It's not as if Parsons was a sure thing coming into the NBA and he signed a woefully undercut deal. He was a second round draft for a reason, and no team was going to give him any amount of money similar to what the Rockets gave him.

Considering the Rockets gave Parsons the best deal out of all the teams interested in him, Parsons' agent did the best he could for the guy. Chandler would've outplayed any contract offered to him prior to his rookie season, regardless.

So no, not "horrendously backfired". I don't know why it bothers me so, but the way you word it makes Parsons' camp seem inept, which is hardly the case.

"I shot (free throws) like I was Mark Price. I had a slower song tonight in my head. Last night I had a fast song and I was going too fast. Tonight I had a couple slow jams playing in my head and I did pretty good so I'm going to keep it up. ... The playlist was some Tank, some Tyrese and some Usher and some Beyonce. And on the Beyonce's I hit all net so I might have to keep singing Beyonce."
- Dwight Howard on his excellent free throw shooting technique

DaGreatest is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
DaGreatest
DaGreatest is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2010
Member: #46249
wow, glad this isnt the nfl where they holdout until they ''get their worth''

but I feel bad for Parsons stuck in this deal, way of the law, but at least his sport is guaranteed

"They just isolate Hakeem," Jordan said. "He's an All-Star player. He got hot and the way to stop him when he gets like that is simple -- you don't let him get the ball.
"Because when he does get it, you can't stop him. We have no one who can match up with him. No one."

BimaThug is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
Thanks, guys, for the kind words.

I wanted to write a shorter version of this blog entry around New Year's Day, when Chandler's partial guarantee for next year kicked in. It just seemed like a good time to begin to inform people about the nuances of his contract.

However, when I started to read the "Can we give Chandler Parsons a raise?" thread and saw that even some of this BBS's most intelligent posters were uninformed about the basic details of Parsons's contract structure (no options) or the consequences relating to extensions (not feasible), I felt the need to expand on my original idea and get it out there a few days earlier.

Hope you all enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhow92 View Post
In fairness to both the Rockets and Parsons's agent, this deal was a pretty fair deal to both sides at the time. I was just saying that the Parsons contract was much more player-friendly relative to the deals given to Taylor and Budinger.

The Rockets got their draft pick locked up long-term at a cheap salary.

Parsons got the financial security of knowing that he'd likely have four full years of NBA job security (or at least two years' worth of player salary).

Everybody won at the time. It's just that Chandler's surprising ascendance to "very good player-dom" caused his talent to outgrow the contract sooner than expected.

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

jayhow92 is online now Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
jayhow92
jayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0c0b0fr34k View Post
I wouldn't say horrendously backfired. It's not as if Parsons was a sure thing coming into the NBA and he signed a woefully undercut deal. He was a second round draft for a reason, and no team was going to give him any amount of money similar to what the Rockets gave him.

Considering the Rockets gave Parsons the best deal out of all the teams interested in him, Parsons' agent did the best he could for the guy. Chandler would've outplayed any contract offered to him prior to his rookie season, regardless.

So no, not "horrendously backfired". I don't know why it bothers me so, but the way you word it makes Parsons' camp seem inept, which is hardly the case.
I was exaggerating a bit. I'm not saying that about his camp at all. It was a great move initially for him. Nobody originally saw Parsons taking over the starting gig so early his career and as a result the financial security backfired.

But if only making about 900k ish for 3 years is a problem then life is good.

Fawkward is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Fawkward
Fawkward is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49987
Clutchfans would be like Lakersground if Bima wasn't here to keep it intellectual

BeeBeard is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
Interesting. So no automatic rookie scale deal as a second rounder, just something negotiated that was similar to it, AND there are some really interesting guarantees built into it too.

I think it goes without saying that if Parsons maintains at least these current levels of production, there is a huge payday in it for him down the road in 2015, with the Rockets positioned perhaps better than most to give it to him.

v3.0 is offline Old 12-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
v3.0
Contributing Member
v3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jan 2005
Member: #16081
He's paid more than most NFL and MLB players, don't feel sorry for him. And he'll only be 27 when his contract runs out, he'll still get his "set for life" contract (barring injury of course).

rockbox is online now Old 12-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
The only thing that bothers me is that he won't be restricted. We are going to have to pay big bucks to keep him.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis...ith+statistics

BeeBeard is offline Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
The only thing that bothers me is that he won't be restricted. We are going to have to pay big bucks to keep him.
I think this is somewhat offset by the fact that the Rockets would be able to offer a full 5 year deal while other teams would not. (Is that correct?)

Of course, we now live in a world where players can be traded and their Bird rights remain intact, so it doesn't diminish Parsons' value as a trade chip, either.