ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Kendrick Perkins, the Thunder Whisperer
Tags:  basketball, deron williams, kevin durant, kevin martin, league, nba, nets, oklahoma city, oklahoma city thunder, russell westbrook, thunder, yahoo Tags
Carl Herrera is offline Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ke...071044932.html

Quote:
For Kendrick Perkins, the telephone calls from frustrated Oklahoma City Thunder teammates come with a far greater frequency than passes into the post. Sometimes, this is the blessing and the curse of playing with the greatness of Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. In victory and defeat, the ball belongs to the NBA's two best 20-something scorers and everyone else is left to sort through the scraps of shots.
"I get phone calls at all hours of the night from different teammates," Perkins told Yahoo! Sports. "And I've got to tell them: OK, you didn't get yours tonight but…

"So OK, take Serge [Ibaka]. I'll tell him, "OK man, you got seven points tonight, then you need to go get eight blocks. Some nights it's not going to be your night, where you can touch the ball. It's like that on this team, especially when you've got scorers like Russ, K.D. and Kevin Martin leading the league in scoring."

Twenty-four hours before Perkins made an immense block on the Brooklyn Nets' Deron Williams in the final minute of the Thunder's 117-111 victory at Barclays Center, Perkins gave a knowing nod and shrugged. "The game ends, you go home, take an hour break and then I know it's mentoring time.

"Guys are gonna call."

Quote:
Long after the game ends, the phone rings for Kendrick Perkins and his message is unwavering: Get over yourself and get to work on whatever is necessary to win basketball games. That's the program here, that's the value of leadership that transcends all those statistics, all those metrics, all those things that'll never measure how a franchise keeps itself together.
Interesting read about the dynamic. Even successful teams have unhappy guys. Also interesting that, of all people, Perkins is the guy who soothes everyone's egos. I had him pegged as someone who just beat on guys who don't get in line.

Sponsored Link
swyyyguy is offline Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
swyyyguy
swyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsswyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsswyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2008
Member: #29829
personally i love kendrick perkins

we could use his toughness on this team

HOUSTON ASTROS

u mirin' brah?

Amel is offline Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Amel
Contributing Member
Amel is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAmel is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAmel is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAmel is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAmel is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAmel is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16438
Can't understand how in the world he can sooth, calm down or mentor anyone. The guy looks like he cries 24/7.

I knew exactly the thread on our forums he was referring to. A user had reacted prematurely to T-Will’s rough first half against the Spurs only to get clowned by the community for the rest of the game as Williams hit 7 of his last 9 shots in the second half.

CantBeRight is offline Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
CantBeRight
CantBeRight is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2012
Member: #50494
Still love Perk.

Genuine is offline Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Genuine
Genuine is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: May 2003
Member: #12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel View Post
Can't understand how in the world he can sooth, calm down or mentor anyone. The guy looks like he cries 24/7.
Have you ever heard the guy talk? That's exactly what he is; calm, cool, collective.

Born and raised in Beaumont, don't be talking bad bout our TX boys

rocketsballin is online now Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
rocketsballin
rocketsballin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodrocketsballin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #53029
lol looks like he cries all the time? the **** outta here

shocking that he gets so many calls to mentor his teamates. wouldnt think anyone would go to him for help on thier games

Zboy is offline Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Zboy
Contributing Member
Zboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldZboy is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6676
They could have used that face in the Walking Dead set if not for their "One Black Man" rule.

Lakers won this game. Liar liar pants on fire....

sugrlndkid is offline Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
sugrlndkid
sugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresugrlndkid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50762
Not the first time ive heard this about Perkins...Apparently a really nice person off the court...but i dont wanna mess with him on the court...he plays with a serious chip...

Hall of Fame is offline Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52173
Quote:
Originally Posted by swyyyguy View Post
personally i love kendrick perkins

we could use his toughness on this team
Seems to get dunked on a lot though

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.lG9vA_DVK3c

gah is offline Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
gah
gah is Omer Asik -- working the boardsgah is Omer Asik -- working the boardsgah is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35354
Asik should give him a call to get some knowledge on how to defend Howard.

BigBenito is offline Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
BigBenito
BigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Fame View Post
Seems to get dunked on a lot though

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.lG9vA_DVK3c
If you aren't being dunked on as a center, you aren't trying.

BigBenito is offline Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
BigBenito
BigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7020
But, I am curious who calls him about not enough touches. I am guessing: Maynor, Jackson, Ibaka, Sefalosha, Durant, Collison, Jones, Lamb, Martin, Liggins, Orton, Thabeet, and Westbrook.