ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Houston only 3rd team in modern Era to Win while sucking so badly [Wages of Wins]
Tags:  2012, basketball, defense, history, houston, houston rockets, james harden, jersey, kobe bryant, lakers, los angeles clippers, los angeles lakers, nba, nets, new jersey, new jersey nets, offensive, spurs, twitter, ugly Tags
torocan is online now Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
torocan
torocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52386
Quote:
Houston has the Worst Win in 18 Years

Last night I checked in on the Houston game early. The Lakers had brought their Kryptonite to handle James Harden. Kobe Bryant wasn’t playing fantastic, but he was playing decent and the rest of the Lakers were shooting very well. I checked out knowing I’d have to hear certain analysts bring up Harden vs. Kobe later. I was shocked to find out that the Rockets in fact won! I was more shocked to see the numbers.

The Rockets shot 37.6% from the field. And no, they didn’t get an easy out with three point shooting, as they shot an abysmal 20.6% from behind the arc! And it’s hard to say stellar defense won the day, as they gave up 105 points in regulation! I went to Twitter and pondered if this had happened before. Of course, an astute fan with the aid of basketball-reference has the answer

Andres Alvarez @NerdNumbers 4 Dec 12

Jeeze how often does a team shoot 37.6% from field, 20.6% from three, give up over 100 and still win in regulation?

Mart @MartJ42

@NerdNumbers basketball-reference.com/play-index/tgl…
4 Dec 12

Mart is a little nicer than my requirements going with 38% from the field. I’m ok with it as otherwise our list would only be two games.

To recap, here are our instances of teams that managed to win playing that poorly.

Date Team Opponent Score
2012-12-04 Houston Rockets Los Angeles Lakers 107 – 105
1994-03-22 New Jersey Nets Los Angeles Clippers 105 – 102
1991-02-22 Los Angeles Clippers San Antonio Spurs 107 – 101

We don’t have full game logs for the three point era sadly (Basketball-Reference goes back to the 1984-1985 season) but in almost the full history, we see this kind of ugly win is pretty rare. I decided to do a little digging to explain each win.

How the heck did Houston Win??

It sure as heck wasn’t defense. The simple answer is Houston was able to keep trying again despite shooting poorly and this came in two areas: turnovers and offensive rebounds. The Lakers turned the ball over 18 times to Houston’s 10. It should also be noticed many of these came off of sloppy play by the Lakers as the Rockets only got 7 steals. What’s more, while the rebound totals were close, the Rockets got 21 offensive rebounds to the Lakers 14. Add it up and the Rockets got an extra 15 possessions on just those two factors. And as we see, the Rockets got 101 shots to the Lakers 82. And that’s how you win despite missing the broad side of the barn repeatedly.

How the heck did New Jersey Win??

Rebounds mattered again but in this case it wasn’t turnovers, it was free throws that helped seal the deal. The Nets crushed the Clippers on rebounds, getting 63 to the Clippers 42. The Nets had almost as many offensive boards (27) as the Clippers had defensive (29). Three of the Nets starters has 10+ boards (P.J. Brown, Derrick Coleman, Benoit Benjamin) with Brown and Coleman pulling down 16. The top rebounder on the Clipps (Dominique Wilkins) had 8 boards, which was as many boards as the top rebounder off the Nets bench (Armen Gilliam). Tack on that the Nets got 44 free throws to the Clipps 23 and you have a narrow win with a lack of shooting.

How the heck did the Clippers Win??

Rebounds turn out not to be the primary culprit here. While the Clippers did out-rebound the Spurs by 4, they won in a few other ways. First, the Spurs weren’t shooting so hot either. The Spurs went 39.8% from the field and were 25.0% from behind the arc. Next, the Spurs had a turnover problem giving the ball up 17 times to Clippers 11. Finally the Clippers crushed the Spurs on free throws. The Spurs had 33 free throw attempts, while the Clippers managed 52! Despite shooting horrendously from the lin (63.5%) the Clippers still managed to get a better offensive rating (points per 100 possessions) than the Spurs, in large part due to free throw shooting.
Summing Up

Shooting matters a lot in basketball. In fact, when we examine the stat that has the biggest impact on games, shooting efficiency is pretty much the biggest. Of course, as we mentioned yesterday, there are other things that go into winning games. While rare, it is possible for teams to completely forgo scoring and focus on the “little things” and still pull out wins, albeit ugly ones.
So, in a nutshell, the Rockets beat the Lakers because we didn't quit and we hustled all game.

It may not have been pretty, but it's one heck of a win.

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/03/22/yo...games-so-what/

Sponsored Link
torocan is online now Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
torocan
torocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetorocan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52386
Forgot the Link.

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/12/05/ho...n-in-18-years/

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/03/22/yo...games-so-what/

AggNRox is offline Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
AggNRox
AggNRox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodAggNRox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #11048
kobe didn't play well?????

i have no idea on what he was talking about. we won cause we kept sending shaq version II to ft line.

rawool is offline Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
rawool
rawool is James Harden -- racking up the pointsrawool is James Harden -- racking up the pointsrawool is James Harden -- racking up the pointsrawool is James Harden -- racking up the pointsrawool is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16550
Based on history, Rockets only had a 1.5% chance of winning against the Lakers heading into the 4th quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedemption
I would let Chandler Parsons and Dwight Howard double team me all day.

flamingdts is offline Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
flamingdts
flamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30398
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggNRox View Post
kobe didn't play well?????

i have no idea on what he was talking about. we won cause we kept sending shaq version II to ft line.
I wouldn't say that was the reason we won. Dwight wasn't horrible at the FT when we employed hack-a-Ho.

The Laker's simply broke down defensively and couldn't grab a rebound. Tony Douglas's wide open 3 that gave us the lead for example, was a result of Kobe losing Carlos Delfino on defense.

And I don't think stopping momentum had much to do with it either, because regardless of whether we employed Hack-a-Ho or not, Kobe WAS going to dominate the ball for the last 5 minutes of the game.

Kobe was terrific offensively, but his defense was atrocious. But the average casual fan wouldn't know it because the NBA will give him all defensive 1st team honors like always.

MambaJoe is offline Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
MambaJoe
MambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43157
Well, its pretty simple. The Rockets won because they played hard for 48 minutes and never gave up. Even though the Rockets didn't shoot well, they still find other ways to score and be effective.

I think some people tries to find excuses for the Lakers on why they lost, by saying that either they are short handed, or Kobe was off etc but at the end, its all Bull****. The Lakers just lost because their players other than Kobe, started to slack off and didn't compete for the entire 48 minutes. Its simple, this is the NBA. Every team has to compete for an entire 48 minutes or they will lose.

No Government in our country can lawfully stifle free speech and fine those who exercise it; the NBA under present circumstances can both stifle and fine players and coaches who speak up.

BamBam is offline Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
BamBam
Contributing Member
BamBam is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBamBam is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBamBam is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBamBam is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBamBam is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBamBam is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2003
Member: #14997
I'm a Homer!!!

But we won because D'antoni was high off the
prescription drugs from his surgery
! How do you
leave Howard in in that situation! It was two minutes
of Hack-a Howard that kept the ball away from Kobe.
He could have put Hill in for two minutes until the
Hack-a-Shaq rule kicked in
at the 2minute mark.

Regardless beating the Fakers is always fun!!!!!

Yao4REAL is online now Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Yao4REAL
Yao4REAL is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24623
Why Houston win?? They're about #1 offense and also the worst defense in the NBA!! LOL...so if you combined them together you get either great game or horrible or close game.

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝@ HEAT, LAKERS 2013-2014

Easy is offline Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Easy
Contributing Member
Easy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchEasy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchEasy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchEasy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchEasy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchEasy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchEasy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchEasy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchEasy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6116
In other words, the Lakers pooped on their big boy pants.