ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Sampson as the coach so far....
Tags:  basketball, houston rockets, nba Tags
Angkor Wat is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAngkor Wat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2007
Member: #24006
I think he's done a decent job. I like how he rewards the bench by keeping them in there if they preform well. Your thoughts?

Sponsored Link
marexx is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
marexx
marexx is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50758
agree better than Mchale

Grigori is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Grigori
Grigori is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGrigori is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44899
Sampson appears to learn more quickly from his mistakes than McHale does.

tallanvor is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
tallanvor
Contributing Member
tallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25649
He is all business. No sense of humor.

OremLK is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
I do not like how our defense has deteriorated since he became coach. I also don't like his rotations very much. I think we're winning more despite Sampson, not because of him.

coachbadlee is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
coachbadlee
Rookie
coachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45147
Quote:
‏@WojYahooNBA
While his opportunity has come under horrible circumstances in Houston, Kelvin Sampson is showing that he's a future head coach in the NBA.
Woj chimes in.

Hey Texans!!! Keep #1. Draft Barr!!!
"Are you kidding me??!! That's your point guard!!" Matt Bullard

bratna8 is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
bratna8
bratna8 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodbratna8 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18203
First coach (McHale, JVG, Adelman) that will stick to players who are doing well during the game and not worry about giving the starters their minutes.

durvasa is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
I feel the Rockets are improving as a team, and players have been stepping up more. No comment on in-game strategy, but the results are good. We need to play better defense, but I can't say that's a fault of coaching. Its a challenge for young players to play with pace and also defend.

durvasa is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratna8 View Post
First coach (McHale, JVG, Adelman) that will stick to players who are doing well during the game and not worry about giving the starters their minutes.
That has a lot to do with the fact that we have so few veteran players. So without many consistent, dependable options, you'll go with the "hot hand" more.

ch0c0b0fr34k is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
ch0c0b0fr34k
ch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30747
Though Sampson has done the "right" thing to reward those who do well by letting this stay in the game, it does make things difficult for the struggling players - namely Jeremy Lin. Now, speaking from a totally unbiased standpoint, does a struggling starter really need the added pressure of having his minutes reduced? Will it help him regain his confidence, and more importantly, will it hinder his ability to live up to the value we have placed in him?

I don't quite agree with Sampson's decision to allot time based on performance in the first half. While it may have short-term benefits - no doubt Toney Douglas contributed to winning the Lakers game far more than Jeremy Lin likely would have - it prevents Jeremy Lin from regaining the confidence he needs to performance consistently.

Now it's been nearly 20 games into the season and one might argue time is running out for Lin to perform at a consistent rate. But prior to the Lakers game, in which ALL the starters struggled, Lin played his best against Utah, posting 19/8 in a great win. Then the next game he finds no respite in his good performance and again is relegated to the end of the bench....

This sort of inconsistency is damning for a young player. While having Toney Douglas finish games when he's doing well is great in the short term, the longer term repercussions are far more severe. Toney Douglas will gain nothing out of playing 5 minutes more. Sure, his confidence may increase and he may peform better, but it's not like he's going to consistently close games from here on out.

tldr; Sampson cannot make last-minute decisions on who gets to play in the fourth quarter in the middle of the game. Either he makes a decisive move and keeps it that way, or he puts some damn trust in the current starter and keep the minutes consistent.

"I shot (free throws) like I was Mark Price. I had a slower song tonight in my head. Last night I had a fast song and I was going too fast. Tonight I had a couple slow jams playing in my head and I did pretty good so I'm going to keep it up. ... The playlist was some Tank, some Tyrese and some Usher and some Beyonce. And on the Beyonce's I hit all net so I might have to keep singing Beyonce."
- Dwight Howard on his excellent free throw shooting technique

yunac010 is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
yunac010
yunac010 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52474
Like someone already said, our defense has been lacking since he took over. It's fine when our shots our falling, but like yesterday when no one could buy a basket playing some defense would have been nice.

I also don't like his rotation and the way he manages the starters' minutes, especially Harden. It's a long season and Harden has never played so much minutes before.

jtr is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
jtr
Contributing Member
jtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49860
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa View Post
I feel the Rockets are improving as a team, and players have been stepping up more. No comment on in-game strategy, but the results are good. We need to play better defense, but I can't say that's a fault of coaching. Its a challenge for young players to play with pace and also defend.
Totally agree. The Rockets have certainly made progress on the court since the season began, but there are still somethings that cannot be coached.

durvasa is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
durvasa
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0c0b0fr34k View Post
Though Sampson has done the "right" thing to reward those who do well by letting this stay in the game, it does make things difficult for the struggling players - namely Jeremy Lin. Now, speaking from a totally unbiased standpoint, does a struggling starter really need the added pressure of having his minutes reduced? Will it help him regain his confidence, and more importantly, will it hinder his ability to live up to the value we have placed in him?

I don't quite agree with Sampson's decision to allot time based on performance in the first half. While it may have short-term benefits - no doubt Toney Douglas contributed to winning the Lakers game far more than Jeremy Lin likely would have - it prevents Jeremy Lin from regaining the confidence he needs to performance consistently.
So if he's not rewarding bench players with extra minutes when they play well, what incentive do they have to play well?

The idea is to get the entire team to play well, not just Jeremy Lin.

pgabriel is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
pgabriel
Contributing Member
pgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9145
i know its a different game but sampson's teams at oklahoma were always solid and always gave ut fits. love the guy

Mario Elie commenting on Hakeem telling him that David Robinson was holding his MVP trophy before Hakeem destroyed him in 95' WCF.

"i put four in a two call that a kobe bryant" paul wall

ch0c0b0fr34k is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
ch0c0b0fr34k
ch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30747
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa View Post
So if he's not rewarding bench players with extra minutes when they play well, what incentive do they have to play well?

The idea is to get the entire team to play well, not just Jeremy Lin.
Again, I'm not a Jeremy Lin fan, so I'm not trying to "get" Jeremy Lin to play well.

The major incentive for bench players to play well is to get a starting position or to get more minutes. More importantly, the incentive is for players to get more minutes more consistently.

My issue is not with Douglas taking more of Lin's minutes. It's that we have no idea who is going to be closing out the game until the end of the third quarter. The players have no idea who is going to be playing in the fourth quarter. I don't know about you, but as an individual I value consistency in my daily schedule.

Having to fight for minutes every single game seems a little bit disorganized. Either move Lin to the bench (which I highly doubt will happen), or give Lin the same amount of room to improve as Harden gets.

"I shot (free throws) like I was Mark Price. I had a slower song tonight in my head. Last night I had a fast song and I was going too fast. Tonight I had a couple slow jams playing in my head and I did pretty good so I'm going to keep it up. ... The playlist was some Tank, some Tyrese and some Usher and some Beyonce. And on the Beyonce's I hit all net so I might have to keep singing Beyonce."
- Dwight Howard on his excellent free throw shooting technique

jtr is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
jtr
Contributing Member
jtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgabriel View Post
i know its a different game but sampson's teams at oklahoma were always solid and always gave ut fits. love the guy
College basketball is a game of recruiting the one and done. If you do it really well you can get a job as a junior assistant coach in the NBA. Then you learn how to coach real basketball.

cheke64 is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
cheke64
cheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2009
Member: #42238
Needs a lot of improvement. Needs to bench Patterson then I would cheer him.

pgabriel is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
pgabriel
Contributing Member
pgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr View Post
College basketball is a game of recruiting the one and done. If you do it really well you can get a job as a junior assistant coach in the NBA. Then you learn how to coach real basketball.
there weren't a lot of one and dones when he was with oklahoma, his teams were very mature

Mario Elie commenting on Hakeem telling him that David Robinson was holding his MVP trophy before Hakeem destroyed him in 95' WCF.

"i put four in a two call that a kobe bryant" paul wall

bongman is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
bongman
bongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2002
Member: #3931
Quote:

I have to humbly disagree on this. Benching him or giving some of his minutes to TD pales in comparison to the lack of his NBA success during his early years. If you look back at how he got here (failures and successes) , it is a testament of his mental strength and he did it without anybody giving him special privileges. If we want him to be the player we envisioned him to be, he needs to be able to figure this out without special accommodations.

coachbadlee is offline Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
coachbadlee
Rookie
coachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45147
Quote:
Again, I'm not a Jeremy Lin fan, so I'm not trying to "get" Jeremy Lin to play well.

The major incentive for bench players to play well is to get a starting position or to get more minutes. More importantly, the incentive is for players to get more minutes more consistently.

My issue is not with Douglas taking more of Lin's minutes. It's that we have no idea who is going to be closing out the game until the end of the third quarter. The players have no idea who is going to be playing in the fourth quarter. I don't know about you, but as an individual I value consistency in my daily schedule.

Having to fight for minutes every single game seems a little bit disorganized. Either move Lin to the bench (which I highly doubt will happen), or give Lin the same amount of room to improve as Harden gets.
5 wins in the last 6 games. Disorganized?

Hey Texans!!! Keep #1. Draft Barr!!!
"Are you kidding me??!! That's your point guard!!" Matt Bullard