ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Rockets-Blazers Series Preview with Adam Wexler
senter is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
senter
senter is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodsenter is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46853
I think we need to get Louis Scola back. The Ice Cream Man, Mr. Two Scoops, the heart and soul of the rockets for the last few years. What he can bring back to this team is true veteran leadership and hustle, as well as his automatic midrange game that I miss so dearly. The biggest knock (and really, only knock) on Scola was his defense. Well now we have Asik to help cover his weakness. Parsons and Harden are solid defenders, and Lin has really stepped up his D this season. I think we can afford to have 1 position not doing anything on defense if it means craftiness on offense. I know we're all excited about the new look Rockets, and how we're starting a youth movement (being the youngest team in the league and all). But most of our losses have been close ones (damn Portland games..), and that's due to our youth and inexperience. Bringing back Scola would give this team a veteran, while we develop our young stars. Delfino has been great, but he's not really a leader type. Scola could basically be what Battier was to us all those years. While our true stars were Yao and TMac, Shane was the voice rallying us all together.

I know there are mixed feelings on our current starter, Patterson. Lately he's been doing very well, and that's great. But while it's cool that Patterson is "finding his range" and stretching the D out to the 3 point line, I honestly don't expect him to keep shooting 50% from beyond the arc. I don't really think that's the direction we should be taking anyway. Let the guards and small forward shoot the 3's, and let the 4's and 5's grab the boards and work in the post. And to be honest, Scola would probably be fine coming off the bench anyway, that's the kind of awesome person he is. He's not doing as well in Phoenix as they hoped I'm sure. I'll admit, I don't know the full rules about getting back amnestied players but worst case would be 1 to 2 years from amnesty date I would think. If anyone could chime in and clarify that would be great.

Now, to the "1 star thread" "terrible thread" "0/10, would not read again" naysayers: look at our power forward position. All of our power forwards think they're 3s. Even DMo thinks he's a 3. We need a 4 who actually wants to stay in that position, and Scola can be had at a discount compared to any star power forward we might try to sign or trade for. Who are we aiming for anyway? Dwight Howard? Chris Paul? Josh Smith? Sure, let's go after those stars (is Josh Smith even really a star ) to pair with Harden but let's still have a tough veteran leader on our team.

Anyway, flame away, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Check out my music
www.sentermusic.com

Sponsored Link
AFS is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
AFS
AFS is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineAFS is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineAFS is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47830
Isn't there a rule that we can't reacquire a player we amnestied for the duration of his contract or something along those lines?

kaleidosky is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
kaleidosky
Contributing Member
kaleidosky is Omer Asik -- working the boardskaleidosky is Omer Asik -- working the boardskaleidosky is Omer Asik -- working the boardskaleidosky is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3592
Let's bring in a veteran to take away time from younger guys at a position where we already can't find time for 3 young guys (Jones, White--if he ever shows up, D-Mo)...

with a goal of trying to win a couple of more games in a season when we're not contenders anyway??

Neither of the above 2 pieces make sense. Together, it's ridiculous

ClutchFans 2013 Fantasy Baseball: 3-Teams per Owner Champion

EarlIII is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
EarlIII
EarlIII is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52453
Don't we already have a hole in the defense with Harden? Now you want to bring another hole to the defense?

TheMystery008 is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
TheMystery008
TheMystery008 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodTheMystery008 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFS View Post
Isn't there a rule that we can't reacquire a player we amnestied for the duration of his contract or something along those lines?
This.

We amnestied Scola.

So, SAYONARA SCOLA!

(Lin - Harden - Parsons - Jones - Howard)

Captain Hook is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Captain Hook
Captain Hook is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47312
Patterson > Scola

EarlIII is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
EarlIII
EarlIII is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52453
Once again, Rockets are 3rd in offense, but 29th in defense. And all fans want to talk about is to how to improve the offense.

NBA has truly become AND1 ball.

sergio is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
sergio
sergio is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43569
Even though it will never happen. Scola would be a perfect 4 next to Asik.

Kojirou is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Kojirou
Kojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereKojirou is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #37556
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFS View Post
Pretty much. Scola can't come back. Not to mention, Patterson has been shooting .375 from 3 point land. That's easily sustainable. Heck, he could improve that.

Also, Harden is not a solid defender. He's okay at best, and really he may not be Martin bad, but he's not great either.

Your mother's dead. Before long I'll be dead, and you and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us rotting underground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor... but family.

HMMMHMM is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlIII View Post
Once again, Rockets are 3rd in offense, but 29th in defense.
8th on offense, 20th on defense, actually. Gotta look at the possession adjusted numbers.

crash5179 is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
crash5179
Contributing Member
crash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemcrash5179 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2052
No, No, No.

amaru is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
amaru
amaru is Omer Asik -- working the boardsamaru is Omer Asik -- working the boardsamaru is Omer Asik -- working the boardsamaru is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42710
Scola deserves better than this team and we deserve younger talent.

"Who are we? We are the descendants of slaves...We are the heirs of a past of rope, fire, and murder. I for one am not ashamed of this past. My shame is for those who became so inhuman that they could inflict this torture upon us"

- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

IN MOREY I TRUST!

jayhow92 is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
jayhow92
jayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48093
Quote:
Originally Posted by senter View Post
Now, to the "1 star thread" "terrible thread" "0/10, would not read again" naysayers
Great thread. 5 star thread. 10/10, would read again.

Karolik is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Karolik
Karolik is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineKarolik is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44968
Absolutely NO. Terrible Idea.

tofu-- is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
tofu--
tofu-- is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finetofu-- is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31526
I hated him leaving, but at this point you can't be effing serious.

senter is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
senter
senter is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodsenter is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhow92 View Post
Great thread. 5 star thread. 10/10, would read again.
hah.

I know we're doing fine on offense but as the season continues and other teams start to figure out our offense, they'll start to adjust their defense accordingly. Our offense could start to bog down like it used to last year in the 4th quarter. But unfortunately (for me, at least, you F words are already ****ting all over my thread haha) we won't be able to get him for the life of his current contract which I believe goes through next season.

Check out my music
www.sentermusic.com

CXbby is online now Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
CXbby
Contributing Member
CXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9639
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaru View Post
Scola deserves better than this team and we deserve younger talent.
News flash, this team is better than the one he is rotting on. Maybe Goran Dragic can start carrying them on his back since he is so good.

just a word is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
just a word
just a word is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52812
Moreyball doesn't like midrange jumpers.

Guess who likes shooting them? Scola.
Guess who likes assisting people into midrange jumpers? Lowry.

Harden tends to go to the rim or the 3pt unless there's no other options, ditto with Lin and Lin tends to assist his teammates into at the rim or 3pt. Patterson had been encouraged to find his 3pt in the offseason; our other tweener forwards are all forwards tend to shoot the three/go to the rim.

Houston in 2011/2012 shot the most midrange 2's of the past 6-7 seasons... and then practically the entire roster had an overhaul. There might not be a precise causality but I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the matter.

kaleidosky is offline Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
kaleidosky
Contributing Member
kaleidosky is Omer Asik -- working the boardskaleidosky is Omer Asik -- working the boardskaleidosky is Omer Asik -- working the boardskaleidosky is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3592
Quote:
Originally Posted by senter View Post
I know we're doing fine on offense but as the season continues and other teams start to figure out our offense, they'll start to adjust their defense accordingly. Our offense could start to bog down like it used to last year in the 4th quarter.
what??

"we're good here, but I want to shore it up because teams will figure it out"

It just defies all logic. You're assuming that every other team can outcoach and outscheme us. That they make adjustments and we don't.

Use reasonable arguments, then come back

ClutchFans 2013 Fantasy Baseball: 3-Teams per Owner Champion

hooroo is offline Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
hooroo
hooroo is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finehooroo is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finehooroo is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14431
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXbby View Post
News flash, this team is better than the one he is rotting on. Maybe Goran Dragic can start carrying them on his back since he is so good.
Dragic would fix the defense dilemma in the backcourt. So many posters are keyed into the offense of the Harden-Lin combo but defense has been the greater issue.