ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[TURKISH] Omer Asik interview - All-Star Game, Role with Rockets
Tags:  2012, all-star game, basketball, bulls, chicago, chicago bulls, houston, houston rockets, james harden, movies, nba, omer asik Tags
thadeus is offline Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
thadeus
Contributing Member
thadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13962
http://www.trendbasket.net/en/2012/1...hot-right-now/

Turkish newspaper Milliyet had an exclusive interview with Houston Rocketsí Turkish center ÷mer Aşık. 26 year-old big man is enjoying a career-best season so far with his new team, averaging 12.3 rebounds and 11 points in 32.8 minutes per game.

Below you can read the translation of ‹mit Avcıís interview:

-After 2 years with Chicago, you signed with Rockets this summer. I think that move has been good for you. What is your opinion on that?

Iíve started my nba career with Bulls and had 2 great seasons there. My move to Houston was beyond my power, Chicago Bulls could have kept me if they wanted to but they decided to go on another direction. Iím happy that Iíve signed with an organization that wanted me, I think my performance is showing that. A player must get enough minutes and build his confidence in order to prove himself.

-You were a role player in Bulls, without much responsibility. However in Houston youíre an essential part of the starting five and have important responsibilities. What Would you like totell us about your new role?

In Chicago there were some good players playing in my position, so I wasnít able to get much playing time. Whatís important for me to help my team to win as well as I can in my minutes even when they are limited. In Houston I have a chance to play more and Iím doing everything I can to help the team win. Weíre a young team and adapting to each other more each day. I believe weíll be even more successful in the future.

-Houston Rockets have great scorers such as Lin and Harden, but we see the number of shots you take also increased. You are also averaging more points now, were you expecting that?

The more me and other front court players score and become effective in the offense, the more back court players found easier looks in offense. Itís clear that our backcourt players are great scorers, thatís why our opponents make their defensive plans to stop them. I believe I will find more opportunities to score as long as their defensive precautions for our backcourt players increase.

-What are the differences between Houston and Chicago in terms of your life off-the-court? How do you spend your days in Houston and are you content with your life there?

Actually I donít find many time for myself in the season. Practices, road trips and games consume much of my time. In my free time I like to watch movies and tv-shows. So I couldnít find enough time to understand the difference in two cities.

-This year All-Star weekend is in Houston and with your performance I donít think youíre far away from it. Do you expect to be selected as an all-star?

I donít think there is anyone who wouldnít want to be selected as an all-star. Of course I would like to be on that court but honestly I think itís a longshot right now. I hope I can perform better and become an all-star in the future.

Sponsored Link
roxxy is offline Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51508
This is awesome. I love Omer. Great find.

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

Aruba77 is offline Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Aruba77
Contributing Member
Aruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 1999
Member: #589
homeboy is all about work and no play. gotta love this guy.

roxxy is offline Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Here is another great Omer Asik piece.

Why We Watch: Omer Asik, One and The Other
On Defense, Omer Asik plays with real grace and brilliance. On offense, he is terrified and mostly terrible.
http://theclassical.org/articles/why...-and-the-other

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

Lucky Charm is offline Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Lucky Charm
Lucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52488
"So I couldnít find enough time to understand the difference in two cities."
LOL Omer
Love him, so happy he's getting his time to finally shine.

YYYY1313 is offline Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
YYYY1313
YYYY1313 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51754
It's so exciting having players like him on the team. I can't wait for tonights game. Lakers are going to get destroyed!

gtmkcp is offline Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
gtmkcp
gtmkcp is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52134
Yes, he's been great. We don't get to see a lot of interviews from him pre and post game. Is it because of the language barrier?

spankz141 is offline Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
spankz141
spankz141 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16544
Get him to the All-Star GAME!!!!

DreamRoxCoogFan is offline Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
DreamRoxCoogFan
DreamRoxCoogFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsDreamRoxCoogFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsDreamRoxCoogFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsDreamRoxCoogFan is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 2007
Member: #22389
I don't get it. Who did the thadeus sex this time?

just a word is offline Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
just a word
just a word is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Charm View Post
"So I couldnít find enough time to understand the difference in two cities."
LOL Omer
Love him, so happy he's getting his time to finally shine.
lol I loved that part too and cracked up. He's such a hard worker I love it! (even if his offense looks... well... like "he doesn't know if he's on foot or horseback"? )

New Generation is offline Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
New Generation
New Generation is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2011
Member: #48398
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeus View Post
-After 2 years with Chicago, you signed with Rockets this summer. I think that move has been good for you. What is your opinion on that?

Iíve started my nba career with Bulls and had 2 great seasons there. My move to Houston was beyond my power, Chicago Bulls could have kept me if they wanted to but they decided to go on another direction.
It almost sounds like he doesn't want to be here. Although he says otherwise, he puts a lot of extra emphasis on how he was forced out of Chicago. Maybe holding a little grudge? Maybe just not that great at English? Idk, but this stood out for me.

SwoLy-D is offline Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
SwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2873
I enjoy interview.

I read interview translation with Eastern European accent. Maybe everyone else?

roxxy is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
roxxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Generation View Post
It almost sounds like he doesn't want to be here. Although he says otherwise, he puts a lot of extra emphasis on how he was forced out of Chicago. Maybe holding a little grudge? Maybe just not that great at English? Idk, but this stood out for me.
I think you are reading way to much into this. He has said repeatedly that he wanted to prove himself as a starter & was happy to be in Houston. He would have never started with Noah in Chicago.

Quote:

just a word is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
just a word
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Generation View Post
I think it's just a quirk of the translation. Sorta having to deal with translation every day, imo that just sounds like polite-form coming out quirky in American English which, let's be honest, is a very colloquial and non-politeness based language. (ie. pronouns and verbs that change if you're using polite/formal language)

I don't know Turkish to be honest, so I don't know the translation patterns, but it's just something that I wouldn't be surprised is happening in this interview.

just a word is offline Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
just a word
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a word View Post
I think it's just a quirk of the translation. Sorta having to deal with translation every day, imo that just sounds like polite-form coming out quirky in American English which, let's be honest, is a very colloquial and non-politeness based language. (ie. pronouns and verbs that change if you're using polite/formal language)

I don't know Turkish to be honest, so I don't know the translation patterns, but it's just something that I wouldn't be surprised is happening in this interview.
Yeah I went ahead and looked it up. Turkish is totally a 'polite'/status-based language with heavy use of honorifics and formal language quirks. It makes it a pain to translate into English to maintain the same meaning and tone.